Austin Osman Spare Tarot

Samweiss

I was super bummed to have missed the special embossed edition but went ahead and pre-ordered the standard edition back in April. The site now says "available now" but I've not received a shipping notice yet. Has anyone else ordered and received it or have any idea when to expect this? (I'm in the US)

Same here, I haven't received any notifications whatsoever.

Babalon Jones

Well I think if I do not hear something soon I will try to contact them. Problem is they have one email on the page listed in the OP, one listed in the store, and a different one with Paypal so guess I have to copy them all and see what happens. Will give it a few more days of patience then email and see, but since it says the book is available now and has for at least a few days if not longer, not sure what to think unless they have tons of orders to fill. The store says if in stock arrives to "rest of world" from UK in 4-5 days which seems overly optimistic to me.

Moonlit Hermit

I am in the US too. I ordered mine last Sunday (the 15th) and I just got it in the mail today (the 21st). You should definitely contact them.
I've barely cracked it open yet but I'll post some impressions when I've investigated further.

Babalon Jones

Just emailed them, fingers crossed! surprised that pre-orders were not shipped first, but looking forward to getting it eventually. I have the biography and maybe will reread it while waiting. I hooe they respond to the email! Samweiss have you received yours?
Also interested to hear your impressions Moonlit Hermit, when you get a chance.

Samweiss

Just emailed them, fingers crossed! surprised that pre-orders were not shipped first, but looking forward to getting it eventually. I have the biography and maybe will reread it while waiting. I hooe they respond to the email! Samweiss have you received yours?
Also interested to hear your impressions Moonlit Hermit, when you get a chance.

No, I haven't received my copy yet. I emailed them this weekend, but probably have to wait till monday for an answer. Hopefully we can get this issue sorted out.

Sumada

Ditto, ditto Babalon Jones & Samweiss.
Lucky lucky Moonlit Hermit...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Samweiss

Yesterday I got reply for my email and they have shipped my copy last week, so it should arrive this week. Weird that they didn't give any heads ups, shipping notification etc. Hopefully they've sent copies for all you others as well.

Moonlit Hermit

Here are my early impressions. First off, I must say I am impressed. As a physical object it is beautifully bound; a big hardcover. The decoration on the cover, multicolor rhombus shapes, is a little loud for my taste. But I understand it is meant to represent the backs of Spare's cards.
So far I'm only 50 pages in and I am enjoying it. Placing Spare's work in the context of his day has been illuminating for me. It is a book as much about Austin Osman Spare the person as it is about tarot.
The book is, as one would hope, chock full of illustrations; large and detailed scans of the cards. Each one is also transcribed in case you can't read Spare's handwriting. And there is a lot of handwriting on the cards, interpretations both upright and reversed. Suggestions of meaning with specific combinations.
Spare's design is innovative, even today a hundred years later. His use of images and words that are split between two or more cards so that they become whole when put next to each other is a idea that is pure gold and definitely worth stealing.
As I keep reading I'll post more impressions.

Sumada

OMG it's arrived... I am entranced. Everything Moonlit Hermit said about the beautiful binding and contents is absolutely true, if not an understatement!
The entire deck life size, one card per page, full colour, except #11 for some reason, so excuse me... gotta start reading...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Babalon Jones

Mine is here, and I hope to have time to check it out this weekend. I've been so busy I haven't opened the box yet as I want to wait til I can appreciate it fully. I so wish I did not miss the special edition it sounds divine! Nonetheless glad to have this one to read.