Positions of the Celtic Cross

Miss Woo

What do you call the positions of the Celtic Cross?

I call them:

Card 1: The present
Card 2: What is crossing you*
Card 3: What is beneath you
Card 4: Near past
Card 5: What is above you
Card 6: Near future
Card 7: Your inner self
Card 8: How others see you
Card 9: Advice
Card 10: The outcome

*Could be "What is challenging you?" or "What is influencing you (positive or negative)?"

Apollonia

For me:

Card 1: The main situation

Card 2: (I actually use two Crossing cards but since that is unusual, I will call both Card 2) Two aspects of the situation

Card 3: The base of the matter, what is true no matter what

Card 4: The recent past that affects the situation

Card 5: The querent's goals in the matter, whether conscious or unconscious

Card 6: The near future surrounding the situation (I will sometimes add a second card in this position for the more distant future )

Card 7: The querent him or herself

Card 8: The environment, which most often speaks about other people who have a bearing on the situation

Card 10: Outcome

gypsy white bear

i usually use this version of CC

-----6----------10
-3--1/2--4----9
------5---------8

1. the basis of present situation, may relate to querent 's state of mind
2. obstacle crossing situations - the 1st obstacle the querent needs to solve, like the 1st step to the long road to the outcome
3. near past's affection - what made that obstacle
4. near future if these obstacle be solved - the goals querent heading on
5. unconcious aspects affect on obstacle - maybe smth even querent hasnt known
6. concious aspects of querent - what they want to be, want thing to be above the obstacle
7+8. environmental effect - objective and
subjective, inside and outside
9. advice - i usually draw 2more cards to clarify this position, this is what the querent has to do to ensure or change the outcome, depending on the outcome is either good or bad
10. final outcome of that situation

Miss Woo

For me:

Card 1: The main situation

Card 2: (I actually use two Crossing cards but since that is unusual, I will call both Card 2) Two aspects of the situation

Card 3: The base of the matter, what is true no matter what

Card 4: The recent past that affects the situation

Card 5: The querent's goals in the matter, whether conscious or unconscious

Card 6: The near future surrounding the situation (I will sometimes add a second card in this position for the more distant future )

Card 7: The querent him or herself

Card 8: The environment, which most often speaks about other people who have a bearing on the situation

Card 10: Outcome

I like how you look at Card 3, 'what is true no matter what'. That's a good way of putting it :)

Yes, I sometimes look at Card 5 as the querent's goals.

And I sometimes look at Card 8 as the environment.

Thanks for this. It's very helpful to see how other people do it :)

Miss Woo

i usually use this version of CC

-----6----------10
-3--1/2--4----9
------5---------8

1. the basis of present situation, may relate to querent 's state of mind
2. obstacle crossing situations - the 1st obstacle the querent needs to solve, like the 1st step to the long road to the outcome
3. near past's affection - what made that obstacle
4. near future if these obstacle be solved - the goals querent heading on
5. unconcious aspects affect on obstacle - maybe smth even querent hasnt known
6. concious aspects of querent - what they want to be, want thing to be above the obstacle
7+8. environmental effect - objective and
subjective, inside and outside
9. advice - i usually draw 2more cards to clarify this position, this is what the querent has to do to ensure or change the outcome, depending on the outcome is either good or bad
10. final outcome of that situation

Yes, I sometimes look at the crowning and below cards as 'conscious and unconscious influences'.

Thanks very much for this :)

gypsy white bear

Yes, I sometimes look at the crowning and below cards as 'conscious and unconscious influences'.

Thanks very much for this :)

just in case :p

i dont do rx in CC although i always do rx in almost other speards
and i always notice the clashing of elements of 1 with 2(inner cross) and 3 4 5 6 with 1 2 (inner cross and outer cross)

and the elemental change or number change of 3 and 4 (past to future)

from -GWB- with love

Eremita90

I use the CC only rarely (although I have adapted the Cicero Spread to have the same positions as the main cross of the Celtic Cross). However, I generally use Waite's disposition of the cards, with some names changed:

1) the present situation (often an atmosphere card)
2) Crossing the situation (usually a challenge or a lesson, not necessarily a bad thing)
3) Crowning the situation (often it gives advice, or the best outcome. In more spiritual readings it could be the higher self, but then again I wouldn't use the celtic cross)
4) Grounding the situation (it could be subtle psychological factors and/or something that can be used, or a hidden influence that causes the situation. Often more than one of these things)
5) What the present is leaving behind (the present as opened to the past)
6) What is leaving the present behind (the present as opened to the future)
7) The Self (usually self-perception in relation to the question)
8) The Other (environmental card, generally it is how the others perceive the querent, so it throws light on the 7th card)
9) Hopes and fears (generally it is about aspirations)
10) Synthesis and/or outcome

Sulis

The Celtic Cross that I use is one that I adapted so that it's become more of an advice spread:

1 - The situation / you in the situation
2 - The challenge you face
3 - The basis of the problem / situation / what's caused it
4 - What you should focus on / aim for
5 - What to leave behind in the recent past / don't do
6 - Advice for the near future / do
7 - How you see yourself in this situation / your attitude
8 - How others see you in this situation / the environment / what's happening around you
9 - General advice
10 - Probable outcome.

Barleywine

The Celtic Cross that I use is one that I adapted so that it's become more of an advice spread:

1 - The situation / you in the situation
2 - The challenge you face
3 - The basis of the problem / situation / what's caused it
4 - What you should focus on / aim for
5 - What to leave behind in the recent past / don't do
6 - Advice for the near future / do
7 - How you see yourself in this situation / your attitude
8 - How others see you in this situation / the environment / what's happening around you
9 - General advice
10 - Probable outcome.

I like the "do/don't do" idea. As with all of the CC variations that include a "general advice" position, I kind of see it as a waste of a position that I might stuff something else into (and have), the same way I feel about position #7 as the "self." (I see cards #7, #8 and #9 as a complete profile of the self in relation to the matter at hand, including the psychological, environmental and social impacts of the unfolding situation.)

ETA: I just realized this is a different thread than the "How Many Spreads?" one where I posted my personal version of the Celtic Cross. It's there if you'd like to see it.

rylla

(I see cards #7, #8 and #9 as a complete profile of the self in relation to the matter at hand, including the psychological, environmental and social impacts of the unfolding situation.)

Interesting. I never thought of this. I like it,

BTW my celtic cross have the same positions as already listed.