Card Backs

thinbuddha

I think you are talking about the card backs?

Your link doesn't work, and your post isn't real clear.

Bernice

Hi thinbuddha,
the link works OK for me (IE7).

Bee

eugim

-Yes thinbuddah I m talking about the back of the cards.

miguelito...

thinbuddha

eugim's link said:
Document Not Found
The document you requested could not be found.

I still can't get the link to work.

I think for me, the back of a card is extremely important. If a deck doesn't have a pleasing design - a suitable design that is both pleasing but not distracting - on the back, then it really kills the deck for me. But I've never put any thought into the meaning that might be hidden in the designs.

Bernice

Hello thinbuddha,

The cardback is 2 colours, a sort of pale brown and off-white. It's a geometric pattern of diamond shapes. Inside each diamond there is a central circle with a dot inside it. There are 4 'fluer-de-lise' thingys in each angle, and 4 half-circles at midpoint of the lines between the angles. (Hoping this makes sense to you).

I've no idea if this has any 'meaning'. But the central circles could be the glyph for the Sun. The Fluer-thingys = french (the Sun-King?)

Bee :)

Le Marseillais

chosson back

Hello all,

You means Fleur de Lys design. Flower of lily in english I suppose.
Old King symbol and also Trinity symbol in same time.

Sun in the middle is also symbolised by a circle with a dot in the middle. Frequent in astrology.

This type of back with this symbols is also present on Joseph Chafard 1747, Jean Payen 1743.

Yves

Bernice

You means Fleur de Lys design. Flower of lily in english I suppose.
Old King symbol and also Trinity symbol in same time.

Sun in the middle is also symbolised by a circle with a dot in the middle. Frequent in astrology.
Yes Le Marseillais, thank you for correcting my rotton spelling.

So.... it's likely that the back design has a 'regal' significance.

Bee

eugim

Hello thinbuddah ...
I asked my good friend Bee if she could upload the back card of Chosson here.

Cheers !