Thoth Deck Printing History

Teheuti

fyreflye said:
But why would Watkins sell it without the outer case - unless Patrick lost the outer case sometime during the past 40 years and has simply forgotten.
We can speculate all we want. If the box is an exact fit, then my theory is that Watkins received a demo copy, perhaps before the box design was finalized. But, without hearing from the person who sold it, we'll probably never know.

I was dating a metaphysical bookstore manager in London around 70-71, and I know the buzz was all around about the deck being available at any time. We could hardly stand the wait. I didn't see or get one until I returned to the U.S., although I was gifted by my friend with the Shambala edition of the Book of Thoth.

BTW, my Hong Kong edition was still wrapped in the original inner plastic until a couple of years ago when questions about the OTO card came up and so I finally opened mine. It's in pristine condition—brag, brag.

gregory

Watkins would have been JUST the sort of place to get one - that's why I thought it worth asking them about it. They - as you might say - retained their history !