@-;--The Sacred Rose @-;--Study Group

firefrost

It's funny how things turn out, really. I looked at this deck on holiday in Newquay three years ago. I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not, so didn't buy it. I went back a few days later having decided that I really did want it but it had been sold.

A short time later, one of the members here offered the deck and book set for sale at a reasonable price so I snatched it up and it's now one of my treasured possessions.

All this is the long way round to say I'd like to join a study group!

How do we make it happen? Where do we start?

I think it's worth saying that anyone joining would be here on an "as and when we can" basis.

Can we make it work? Interested parties?

Hils :)

6 Haunted Days

Very interested! Like you I have seen this deck off and on for a few years, and decided months ago to get it, after all something kept pulling at me to get it. But when I went to the store, which always had a copy in, why someone had decided to buy it! So I went and ordered a set from my local bookstore.

This is a deck for me that a first look through, I liked but wasn't sure once it was in my hands. The more I shuffle, bond, look through and read with it, the more stunning and nuanced the art, messages and those swirling colours get. This is one powerful deck! Immense energy and a dark Underworld/Otherworld vibrations (not in a bad way type!). It seems almost a deck that doesn't fit into any Tarot mold I know at least. And the artist's book is a complete gem.

Like you, now this is my most favourite deck and it feels like an ancient treasure I found in an archaeological dig deep in a forest somewhere, thought I might like it, but never like this! I even went to the trouble last week of aquiring a 80's printing.

Anyhow, I do agree, it would have to be "when we can" type group. So busy! But I would love to be able to pop in and give my thoughts on a card. Do we have to do it in order? It seems that study groups that have this grand Majors, Aces, Minors plans never go anywhere. People post about 3 cards and it goes *poof*. I think we should just post our thoughts and ideas about any card we get inspiration on. Maybe more people would be willing to pop in and jot down some thoughts that way.

I am kind of confused as to how to exactly "start" the thread on a single card. How do I do that?

I am so happy that there are at least some others who have connected with this deck in such a dramatic way, was worried I was quite alone!

Miss 6 :love:

firefrost

I'm not sure but I think if we want to fly straight to individual cards, a moderator will have to set up the links.

If you want, just post about a couple of your favourite cards from the deck, saying why they're your faves and what they say to you for now.

I think there are a few interested members who will post once the ball gets rolling.

Hils :)

Formicida

It almost sounds like this deck is one that has to be stumbled on. I got my copy really by chance in a gift exchange. I couldn't decide how I felt about it so I set it aside to decide later. I still haven't really done anything with it. I'm hoping that a study group will get me off the fence so that I can decide whether or not I actually like it.

I passed up a chance to buy the companion book in a used bookstore a while ago, and I'm regretting in now that I've read Miss 6's praise of it. I didn't look too closely at it and figured it was a standard, boring companion book like I've seen too many of. Oh well...hopefully I'll have another chance at some point.

firefrost

Maybe email the publisher and ask about purchasing one?

You could get one free of charge.

6 Haunted Days

Formicida said:
I passed up a chance to buy the companion book in a used bookstore a while ago, and I'm regretting in now that I've read Miss 6's praise of it. I didn't look too closely at it and figured it was a standard, boring companion book like I've seen too many of. Oh well...hopefully I'll have another chance at some point.

Oh no, it's certainly not one of those! I know what you mean, someone hacks together some standard meanings to go along with a deck then puts in the images. Total waste of money and your time.

If you see it again, for sure get it....it's one of the best written and most thought out (with actual details about the symbology of the images, meaning of colours etc.) of the USG deck companion books.

On an interesting side note. When I went to my local bookstore to order this set about a month ago, he called the publisher and they said the deck is currently out of print, and there is no set date to reprint. :bugeyed: Now with this deck having a run since 1982 and being a classic (even though imo it's very overlooked and not mentioned too often among all the new decks coming out) I don't think they would actually make it completely OOP and never reprint (but who knows?!). I guess they just don't have any set, major plans to print it in the future.

Miss 6 :love:

firefrost

I always go for the book with the deck anyway, I think it can only give me more info than the standard LWB but I realise that's a personal preference.

I'm surprised that this deck is effectively OOP, though.

I can see it now, turning out to be worth millions...

PeterS

Looking for companion books?

I love Amazon.com. I know it is a huge corporate chain website but I honestly can find just tons of stuff there I can't get in my area and they do support other independent sellers.

I was gifted the Sacred Rose Tarot, not sure I liked it at first but now it is growing on me.

There are two books available at Amazon.com.

First is the book by the author of the deck:
Guide to the Sacred Rose Tarot by Johanna Gargiulo-Sherman

Amazon sells this for about $10 I have this one and it is pretty good.

I also have just ordered another:
Reveal the Secrets of the Sacred Rose Tarot by Steven Culbert

This is only available from other seller from cheap to reasonable prices. I don't know how good it is yet. Since there were some looking for books here are some options.

Hope this helps.

6 Haunted Days

Amazon, what a pain in the a*s. I buy from the marketplace sellers there, much better.

Reveal the Secrets of the Sacred Rose Tarot by Steven Culbert which I have (gifted from Scion :)) was pretty useless as far as insights or revelant info on this deck. What's confusing is that it states on the cover: and the Colour Perspective in Tarot , but only barely mentions anything about colour? Weird.

The book written by the artist is excellent, I've raved about it a few times on AT :) Very well-written with a lot of depth.

PeterS

Border question

I was looking over and meditating on a few of the cards in my decl yesterday and I noticed something that I can figure out. There is a pretty set pattern to the cards. the picture and then the name of the card in the white box in the bottom. I notices however that 8 of the cards did not have that white box for the name.

The Fool, Justice, Strength, Death, The Devil, the Star, Moon, and Sun.

I may have missed the note in the book explaining this choice because I didn't see it discussed. Can anyone tell me if this is significant? I can see any unique links between these eight cards that would not include others. In a deck that seems pretty formated this just stands out to me.

Thanks