Doré Bible Tarot

Moonchild

Greetings all! Although I've been involved with online Tarot communities for about ten years, I'm new here at Aeclectic Tarot. (In fact, this is my first post after my intro.) I've come to tell y'all that I'm finally going to finish up and publish the Doré Bible Tarot. The images are ready (have been for three years) and in fact I have too many. I started out with *five* Tower images, for example. I need some feedback on image choices and a few other miscellaneous things. So if you're interested, please have a look at
http://www.moonchild.ch/Tarot/DBT/
I just have the Majors up now, but should be able to get other suits up within the next few days. I thought working with a dead artist would be easy, but in fact it's a bit limiting. But more on that later. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to check it out and give me some feedback.

One Love All Love,
Moonchild

HearthCricket

Wow...I love it! I just love Dore's works and your picks for each cards are wonderful! I so want this deck! Are you privately publishing it, or is someone picking it up, like USG or whomever? All I ask is please, please, please put it on excellent paperstock and coat it nicely so I can use it! This isn't just a gorgeous deck...it is one for reading! When is it coming out? Do tell more!

fall_guy

Oh my gosh! They're beautiful!

Are the minors going to be scenic too?

delizt

Very nice deck, what will the minors look like and when will it be available for ordering?

Laurel

Oh my gosh. Dore is among my favorite artists and I think you have an excellent eye in your selection of images. I look forward to seeing your completion.

westsidegirlygirl

This deck is heart-stopping. It's amazing.

Moonchild

Thanks everybody for all the nice replies. = )

The Courts are online now, and the Minors should be over the next few days. I'll let you know as I finish each section. They are all illustrations, grayscale, with different colored border and text for each suit. I'm still looking for a font, trying to decide between something more King James-ish (calligraphic) or more Doré-ish (Art Nouveau). The former seems too heavy and the latter too out of place.

At this point, I am planning to self-publish. I'm waiting for a price quote from AG Müller to see how financially feasible that will be. I'd love to have them print my deck, because I know they print quality cards. As to when the deck will be in material, rather than virtual, form, it's too early to say. I've been playing with it for seven years, but I'm not playing anymore. Really, a lot depends on the printing estimate right now.

I was planning to read the entire Bible before putting out the deck, but I've decided that's not really necessary--I know it well enough, I guess. But I will finish reading it before I write the planned companion book. Another seven years???

One Love All Love,
Moonchild

HearthCricket

Personally, I would skip the borders, so its beauty just spills over the sides. I think coloured borders would really clash with the black/white/grey tones. If you must do borders, how about keeping them in the same colour scheme, but ornating them with scrolls or something that corresponds well with the font you choose? Since it is Biblical...how about a bold Papyrus font? Or the Old English Text (but not bold). I love Muller decks. Wouldn't that be wonderful to have! I love the quality of their Vision Quest deck.

Here is the inside page of an old 1901 copy of The Christian Year, I own. How about a border similar to this?

delizt

I agree...no colors on the borders, please!!! I think it would be too distracting from the lovely images, which are striking and powerful as they are..no need for color!

Moonchild

borders

When I said borders, I wasn't thinking in card terms, but in "code mode." IOW, not colored borders like Wheel of Change or Housewives Tarots. I think of those as "margins" and they'll be white. Actually, the left and right margins will be very small--2.5 mm each side. For the top and bottom margins, I have to divide up the 25mm available. (The deck will be 95x140, like the large AGM Thoth.)
The borders I referred to are just an edge to outline the images, as on the web page. Just a single line around, same color as the text. different color for each suit.

Sorry, HearthCricket, but I think ornate borders would be a nightmare! Loved the image, though! Put thoughts of tattoos in my mind!

One Love All Love,
Moonchild