how to cleanse my cards

full deck

Not soap and water either . . .

Sulis said:
Word. IMHO, if the person has a good head and heart, the cards are usually clean too.

If I had to do something to "cleanse" a deck, I fantasize that I could do it with music. I would start with putting the cards in front of some speakers and turn on some metal like "Prong" moderately loud. That should kill even the termites in the walls I figure. I go out and get a coffee for and hour and then, upon returning, play some Beatles or John Coltrane to set the right vibe. Mind you, one could do this at night, in the moonlight but then I would have to find an open bar for an hour or walk in the park.

tarobones

me2

I agree.......shuffle, shuffle, shuffle and handle the cards, and I also like the idea of moving through the deck and interacting with the images one more time. All are ways to help ME center and reconnect with the cards. BB, Michael

seapearls

To me it seems that just a good even delicate shuffle is plenty enough to make the cards not feel stagnant, air them out. Imagine that shuffling them lets them all pass quickly by one another saying "Hey how are you?...oooh get ready their doing a reading".

Phoenix Rising

When you say 'cleansing your deck' is that from the energy debris? or because it's got some dust or stains on it or something?
I suppose people like to have rituals for things to help people connect and all that, so I suppose it's in the mind of the beholder! Not to mention that we have the power over the cards, and not the other way around. So giving ourselves a good cleansing will be a good start.
If you never cleanse your deck, do you think that the cards would be any different in what is drawn? Or cleansing them would more likely give you better cards?
I myself don't cleanse them, only if they've got dust on them, I don't think it would make a difference though.

I just like to put my cards back in it's natural order before and after each reading. Afterall they were designed to be in sync with nature.

Melpomone18

Well, I compulsively re-order my cards, so I guess I go through mini-cleansings after each reading. In general I don't feel the need to do much more than that. The only thing I'll ever do in addition to re-ordering is a short ritual my father taught me. I put the deck back in its box or bag wrap it up in some natural fiber (I use a silk scarf generally), then I'll set it in a shallow bowl and cover it with sea salt and just let it stay overnight. But I only go through that once in a great while and when I do it's just with my main deck (Hanson-Roberts).

Lain_82

I use incense

When I opened my first tarot deck (a marsellies one) I had an incense stick burning, the scent was "chandan" and I just felt like smoking the cards a bit, so they could catch some of the good energies that smell gave me, and that was enough for me. I also got a wood box my mom made that has an image on top of Mother Mary, and next to the cards I always put a shell that reminds me of friendship and a little blue candle that I made with someone I cared for a lot. So yeah, do what suits you best, as long as you can feel conected to the cards.

firecatpickles

I had a witch tell me a should "ground" a deck of cards, in other words, bury the deck, one day for each card. Well, one of the first things I learned here was to beware of Wiccan friends bearing tarot drama!

White sage works for me. I have also taken to reading by candlelight, totally in the nude.

Or, you can bury it in the ground for a few days hehehe.

Noaandi

Just asking the Divine Guides to cleanse them and remove all heavy energies works. Sometimes when you just can seem to read with them, pause, take deep breaths and talk to your Guides to help you cleanse them. Try it! It works!

I also heard that white sage burning is wonderful.

Zee

Dwaas

tarobones said:
I agree.......shuffle, shuffle, shuffle and handle the cards, and I also like the idea of moving through the deck and interacting with the images one more time. All are ways to help ME center and reconnect with the cards. BB, Michael

Same here. I shuffle my cards and move through the decks often, card by card telling little stories or look up symbols, to reconnect. And perhaps that's cleaning the decks as well. :) To be honest, I never held "not-clean" decks, except for dirty ones because of spreads on sand and grass etc. But that is not what this thread is about.

I don't mean it in a cynical way, but perhaps somebody can explain what it feels like if a deck is not cleaned. I really have no idea. For example, I have the Liber T, a so called "dark" deck, but that is how it is supposed to be imo. So what is the feel of a not clean deck as I keep on comparing it to a dark feel which is apparent not the same. Or is it? Am I changing this thread too much when I ask WHY we clean our decks with crystals, sage, shuffling, moonlight, etc?
Blessings

cynthia padley

cleansing decks

I have quartz crystals in each of my cards. I found some beautiful guazey bags at the Dollar tree for Valentine, red and black with drawstrings.ONe small one and one large one and insert a clear crystal in it, and try to stand my cards upright.