The Devil card

rupadupa

What is the role of eight of cups here?

So what does eight of cups in the final outcome position imply? Does it imply that if she doesn't let go, my friend will decide not to give it a shot..Does it simply seperation or that they will probably outgrow each other? I didn't find eight of cups a very healthy sign.....Any thoughts on that?

Ace

Sounds to me like she is developing (or afraid of developing) resentments with this person (the devil) that will result in her moving on (8 of cups) HOWEVER, this can be changed by both facing her past (who is she so angry with that the tower was there?) and communicating very clearly with this person now and in the future.
Ace

bleu_bell

I don't know if anyone already mentioned this but with the chariot reversed as how other people see the relationship, maybe she isn't seeing things clearly, or maybe others can see what she can't because she's so caught up in the moment (passion and sudden new emotions/relationships). Maybe they're saying "slow down, don't loose your head here" or maybe they already have a bad feeling about this guy and are afraid it's going to get out of control or worse she's going to get trampled on by that chariot. Is your friend attracted to the "bad boy" type?

Thirteen

We don't know enough about this situation to help with this interpetation. Is this a new relationship? An old one? How involved is your friend in this relationship? Is it just someone she met on-line and had coffee with or has she been dating him for a bit? Are they old friends taking their relationship to a new level?

We really don't know enough to give you anything but surmises.

Given what you've said:
Tower: She thinks the relationship is going to fall apart.
Devil: Fearing this, she will try to micromanage the relationship in order to keep things from toppling. She risks, in the near future, becoming a controlling Devil.
Chariot: Contrary to what your friend might think, her friends see this relationship as out-of-control. No one at the reins, not going anywhere, crashing. They don't think she can see the situation well enough to manage it--as you, yourself pointed out. She's committment phobic. Which means you and all her other friends probably think she's going to mess up, drive the relationship into a tree instead of guiding it wisely ahead.
8/Cups: This card is ambiguous. Again, it depends on the situation. If this is a new relationship, then it could be a signal that your friend will take the advice of the cards, not try to micro-manage the relationship, get a better hold on the reins, and not let her fear of committment ruin a good thing. She will leave behind her what has comforted her (those cups) to follow the moon--this new romance.

8/Cups is not necessarily a bad card. It indicates taking a chance to fulfill a dream. But there's no aboslutes in it. It doesn't promise that if you take this chance it will lead to success, or even if taking this chance is a good idea--only that you will take the chance.

wandking

That eight is very tricky in this application, so I'll post my complete dialog on the card and let you draw your own conclussions:

THE EIGHT OF CUPS
Slightly ambiguous in this image, many versions of the Eight of Cups feature a figure walking past a swamp. Placid water provides accurate symbolism for emotional stagnation oozing from the card. According to noted occultist, Aleister Crowley spiritual apathy festers as Indolence in sluggish water of the Eight of Cups: He calls this card the “German Measles of Christian Mysticism.” When moral apathy ebbs emotional flow, it sets you adrift. Awaiting the return of breezy passions as you float in a becalmed emotional state rarely resolves issues. Perhaps the eight shows a time when your best option is to set another course. Accepting demise of a futile situation offers a primary theme with the Eight of Cups. Like other cards of the suit, eight refers to matters of the heart. More precisely, the card shows relationships where you provide a great deal and receive very little in exchange.

In a suit that epitomizes strong emotions, this eight often alludes to leaving an existing romance. A one-sided relationship is painful until it ends. If this card appears in a reading regarding a relationship, heed its warning and attempt to correct the inequality. Take responsibility for your choices but avoid falling prey to self-reproach. Evaluate circumstances and then do whatever is required to restore emotional balance to your life. Much of the time, any warning that this eight provides arrives late. Often, your only solution will be similar to a choice that the figure on this eight makes. Confucius said, “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” Simply moving on is a reasonable option, considering the energy source of this card is harsh Saturn in Pisces. Saturn offers disappointment in the sign that rules an astrological house of self-undoing.

Emotional apathy is not the only form of stagnation the card symbolizes. A festering swamp of lethargy also emerges, causing any desire to advance in life to deteriorate. Disappointment often represents a step toward disdain for what you leave behind. After jumping at a tempting emotional morsel, you can learn a faulty lesson: Aesop said, “It is easy to despise what you cannot have” but scorn hampers growth. The time has come to move forward, as you forfeit something emotionally important but bitter feelings can impair progress. Many religions teach sacrifice allows spiritual growth to occur. Adopting a “sour grapes” approach will inhibit emotional development. The figure turns away from golden chalices to embrace an unknown future. This represents a search for higher truths, when material possessions and empty relationships represent dry cups that cause a profound spiritual thirst. In many ways, the Eight of Cups suggests leaving behind earthly illusions of security to seek wisdom. Although this inner quest starts as a trickle, it will finally flood life with spiritual awareness. Abandoning shallow ambitions and lethargic relationships refreshes the soul and allows your spirit to again flow free and clear.

In numerology, the number eight throngs with the power of manifestation. The Eight of Cups shows the expression of an idea and a decision. A figure on the Eight of Cups finally decides to move on in life. With an awareness of the material world, the number suggests success in business because it offers keen perceptions. On this card, numeric awareness clearly shows, since this man realizes he must sacrifice his emotional cups to grow and perhaps find real fulfillment on this eighth path of the Cups story. This numeric path signifies people who understand how to advance and work hard to achieve goals. A person, who reduces to eight, though gifted with management ability, might have trouble making reforms and changes. The figure on this card finds that change and reform can be costly but perhaps knows that freedom is priceless. Sacrifice shown on the Eight of Cups speaks of creating an empty heart but wisdom you earn will fill the void. In the picture on this card, a river to contentment, which meanders through the Cups Suit, becomes blocked. Although emotional flow reduces to a tiny stream, it will again become a mighty river: Follow the trickle of love in your life to a sea of happiness.

rupadupa

Thanks wandking...that was an enlightening approach to eight of cups..As for thirteen's questions..she has just met this guy..its been couple of weeks since they have been going out..and the chap in question is a good frd of their mutual friend. But the problem is she feels if this rel doesnt take off or ends on a sour note, it might affect her friendship with their common frd..
also its a long distance rel..And she was in a long distance relationship a year ago but it didnt take off..Of course it ended amicably..

On the contrary, my frd usually falls for the goody goody kinds..

Yea, she is very scared to get involved very seriously( she has been there once and it hurt her a lot) So I think, since then, she has constructed a self so that she does not get too deeply involved..( I dont know even if she is aware of it) she is slightly keen about this guy(on a subconscious level)
Strangely, guys she has dated so far has been the stable, creative types... My only hope is she doesn't let something good just pass by..

FaerieStorm

Sorry to change the subject, but...

I recently pulled the Devil card in my FRIENDSHIPS slot in a "areas of life" general reading. I've noticed most people have spoken of romantic and sexual relationships...but what about just friendships?

moonspirit

This discussion has been interesting! I recently did a quick 3 card reading that involved my sister and a guy she liked. For how he felt about her I got the Devil card and was confused because I thought it described him more so ( from things she told me about him ) But the controlling factor makes sense because my sister can be very opinionated and had a few things to say to him about some aspects of his life she was wary of, which I agree with, but I can see him thinking of her concern as being a bit controlling.