Favorite Robert M Place deck?

Aeric

Alchemical - 2nd. Got rid of the column borders, added the more beautiful new rose back, and amazing readings.

Le Fanu

Yes, of the Alchemicals, I must confess I prefer the 2nd edition. So clean and sharp. It's a beautiful deck. I don't use the Burning Serpent as much as I'd thought. For no reason whatsoever since it is clearly beautiful. Love that sharpness of line in his decks, which reminds me of Renaissance engravings.

Nemia

Even more Renaissance woodcuts (like the Hypnerotomachia Poliphilii) - there are very little shadings. I love his visual style. Unfortunately, Alchemical and Sevenfold Mystery are only on my wishlist, but I own the Angels tarot (which I use for Nisaba's timing method) and the Saints - and that's one of my favorites.

The book is wonderful, the art clear and cool, and most of the chosen saints convince me and enlighten me. I grew up under strong Catholic influence in a nearly completely Catholic region, was in Catholic kindergarten and school (as onlooker, always a good thing to be), and the saints speak to me in my childhood language. The Star is one of the most beautiful interpretations of the card.

After reading here, I came to the conclusion that I'll have to invest in Place's other decks.

I also love his books about the history of tarot.

Madrigal

Well this should be subtitled as an enabling thread ;)

His decks are strong! Sevenfold and Alchemical, similar upon first glance and yet, subtle differences that seem less subtle upon further contemplation. I prefer some of his interpretations in Sevenfold and others in Alchemical but it's pretty evenly split. For those who own these decks, how do they read, both personally and for others?

BSO, looks like an intriguing blend of all the best of Lenormand.combined with a classical interpretation. A pp mentioned he didn't use it much though. Reasons?

rachelcat

Sevenfold and Saints.

:)

Same here! I actually think I like the Saints best. It's a very coherent deck, and of course beautiful. And I like playing "spot the Bible story" in the minors. It works as a reading deck too.

The Sevenfold is a tarot education in itself. I think somewhere here I called it a tarot-themed tarot. Stripped down to its philosophy, but that leaves so much!

Vampires is a great theme deck, very well done.

Alchemical is beautiful and evocative, but I'm still trying to get a handle on alchemy, so it doesn't seem as coherent and self-contained as the rest.

EyeAmEye

I love the Sevenfold, liked the Vampire, but the Alchemical 2nd edition is still my favorite. I very much enjoy the unique style of all his decks.

Le Fanu

BSO, looks like an intriguing blend of all the best of Lenormand.combined with a classical interpretation. A pp mentioned he didn't use it much though. Reasons?
Nothing profound - I just love my historical Lenormands too much - My Destroyeds and Lilacs and Stralsunders and Dutch and Alte Deutches and Mertzs - the list goes on - they really are enough for me.

The Burning Serpent is lovely. It really is.

delizt

I love all Robert's work, but my favorite is the First edition Alchemical that I trimmed to a nifty pocket size and edged in black...

WolfyJames

I have three of his tarot decks, the Alchemical, the Vampire and the Tarot of Sevenfold Mystery, and the Tarot of Sevenfold Mystery is really my favorite for me. It's very beautiful.

avalonian

It would have to be the Sevenfold Mystery for me, too. Heavenly deck. I'm a huge fan of Burne-Jones and can see the inspiration in the artwork.

:) :) :)