How do you work out Personality, Soul and Year Cards?

Moongold

Greetings Anjo,

Well you're doing OK - You are absolutely right!

Moongold

Major Tom

Re: help, moongold!!!

anjocoxo said:
7 + 27 + 2003 = 2037 = 12

Is the Hanged man my year card?????

I would add it up like this:

7+2+7+2+0+0+3 = 21

Making your year card The World.

But then, I'd also say your year card is the Empress. :laugh:

Moongold

Are you being mischievous, Major Tom??

This is the formula for Personality and Soul cards:
Personality & Soul Cards

Month you were born: ............................
Day you were born: ..........................
Year you were born: ...........................
...................Equals: ...........................

Add each digitL ..........+...........+...... ...... = ......................
If you have double digit answer, add again = .....................

My personality Number is.........(the higher of the two numbers if 22 or less). The Major Arcana Card corresponding to this number is:.......................... (PERSONALITY CARD)

My soul card is:..............(the single digit number in your final reduction). The Major Arcana Card corresponding to this number is...........................(SOUL CARD)

Year Card

This is the formula for Personality and Soul cards:

Month you were born: ............................
Day you were born: ..........................
Current year: ...........................
Equals: ...........................

Add each digit: ..........+...........+...... ...... = ......................

In determining the year card, always keep th highest number under 23 and don't reduce it

For the current year, my Year Number is.......................which corresponds to the Major Arcana Card>...........................

Hope this helps. The information is from "Tarot Constellations" by Mary Greer.

Moongold

Major Tom

Just an observation really

It makes no difference whatsoever how you add the numbers up to find your soul card. Using my own birthdate as an example:

2+2+8+1+9+5+5=32 3+2=5

22+8+1955=1985 1+9+8+5=23 2+3=5

Either way I end up with 5.

But, it seems to make a difference with the year card. Again using my birthdate as an example:

2+2+8+2+0+0+3=17

22+8+2003=2033 2+0+3+3=8

This difficulty arises with the year card only because we aren't reducing to a single digit.

Everything I've read about numerology involves reducing numbers to a single digit and the actual method of reduction doesn't matter because you arrive at the same answer.

Does Mary Greer give us any reasons to choose this particular method of reduction?

Moongold

Re: Just an observation really

Major Tom said:

But, it seems to make a difference with the year card. Again using my birthdate as an example:

2+2+8+2+0+0+3=17

22+8+2003=2033 2+0+3+3=8

This difficulty arises with the year card only because we aren't reducing to a single digit.

Everything I've read about numerology involves reducing numbers to a single digit and the actual method of reduction doesn't matter because you arrive at the same answer.

Does Mary Greer give us any reasons to choose this particular method of reduction?

Tom, I think it is because of the association with the Major Arcana and the 22 cards in that.

The other calculations reduce to prime numbers.

I am not an expert in numerology and don't have the time to play with the figures now to try to understand. I assumed that she and her oublishers would have :laugh:

I will try to find out something about it though. Calculating Anjo's Year card your way gave a very different answer. It's obvious that the Year Cards are not connected with prime numbers.

Moongold

Major Tom

Re: Re: Just an observation really

Moongold said:
Tom, I think it is because of the association with the Major Arcana and the 22 cards in that.

Yes, I understand it is an attempt to reconcile numerology with tarot and the 22 major arcana. :)

Moongold said:
Calculating Anjo's Year card your way gave a very different answer.

A different answer, but an answer within the same constellation. Just as with the example given using my birthdate.

In Anjo's case it's the 3 - 12 - 21 constellation.
In my case it's the 8 - 17 constellation.

I've no doubt there's considerable benefit to be had concentrating on a single card for a year as suggested by Ms. Greer. I'm just curious what made her choose one method of reduction over another. It makes me think there's a case to be made for reducing the year to a single digit and applying the entire constellation to our reflections regarding our year cycles.

Or maybe it's just me being mischievous. :laugh:

I also have a bit of difficulty with 22 being the Fool... :laugh:

Moongold

Well Major Tom....

There is absolutely nothing in the book which explains the decision and I'm wracking my brains (not a good thing to do at this time of night) to see what must be a very simple answer.

I suspect it simply may be, as you said, the outcome of a resolution to associate numerology with the Major Arcana. Things don't always fit in neat categories, I might email Mary Greer herself to ask! She has a web page and is a member of tarotL!

In the mean time we just follow the book I guess!

Moongold

Nao

Thanks a whole bunch for the clarification and info, Moongold! :) The links you gave me for more info on the hidden factor/shadow card helped tremendously. Lots of great info there. =) There are still some questions in my head...if you can help answer them, I'd really appreciate it!

Moongold said:

Your Hidden Factor Card is Temperance, as Sara indicated. You are in the Constellation of the Hierophant.
Does Temperance contribute to me being in the Constellation of the Hierophant? By how you said it, I'm just wondering if it was related...
Your Year card is 3. Currently this for you is the Empress. Next year it will be the Emperor.
Ack...the whole time I had thought it was the Hanged Man! I realized I had added up my digits this way instead-- 1+6+2+0+0+3=12 I've always been used to adding single digits when it came to numerology...but I guess in this case, I was supposed to keep the year number (2003) intact and add it as a whole rather than break it up right? It makes all the difference in what card I'd end up with so I want to be sure I'm doing this right. If it really is the Empress...this is weird. I had thought the Hanged Man was very fitting for me this year...but I could not find anything that was remotely like the Empress for me! =P

I am not sure what culture you are from but there could be some very interesting correspondences there if you are from a culture different from the West.
Hmm...I am from a different culture than the West, yes. I'm "Westernized" in many ways...but my roots and the culture I grew up with as a child were Asian. I've sort of become a mixed mutt between the two cultures. I'm wondering why you made that comment though? Do you see any relation in my soul/personality cards + hidden factor...and somehow thought of the culture factor? I'd love to know more about this...

I've always known that my personality card was the Hierophant...but I was never quite so sure what it meant to me in my life. I think 10 years ago (when I first discovered about the personality card)...I had dismissed it..mostly because I didn't understand the Hierophant enough and felt that it didn't really signify me. But lately, I've been looking in to it more...trying to understand it more, I guess.

Anyhow...thanks again for the help! Wonderful info here! =D

Moongold

Nao said:

Ack...the whole time I had thought it was the Hanged Man! I realized I had added up my digits this way instead-- 1+6+2+0+0+3=12 I've always been used to adding single digits when it came to numerology...but I guess in this case, I was supposed to keep the year number (2003) intact and add it as a whole rather than break it up right? It makes all the difference in what card I'd end up with so I want to be sure I'm doing this right. If it really is the Empress...this is weird. I had thought the Hanged Man was very fitting for me this year...but I could not find anything that was remotely like the Empress for me! =P

Woops....Nao, I was WRONG..................

I should NOT have reduced the 12 to 3.....Not for the Year Card.

I hope you get this message before you make any life changing decisions................. Hanged Man you are....:)

I am sure you probably know more about numerology than I do!

In relation to your question about Temperance, the constellations are based on prime numbers. The number 5 is made up of numbers 1 & 4 and therefore you get 14 Temperance. The thread below will explain this.

http://www.tarotforum.net/editpost.php?s=&action=editpost&postid=139418

I simply guessed about your culture from something about the way you write and your name. In Australia, your name would amost always indicate that you came from another culture. I forgot temporarily about Aeclectic pseudonyms.

Blessings

Moongold

Major Tom

Now I really am confused! :confused:

Shouldn't it be: 1+6+2003=2010 2+0+1+0=3 ???

Thus Nao's year card is the Empress?