A new de-enabling thread

swimming in tarot

Yeah, ma'am, I saw your magical price point. So mine's double, but with lots of rules. Should make it harder to find decks that comply.
And, I could just not boast of my decks online, like showing off my brownie badges on my sleeve...just gloat and hoard in the privacy of my own home.

avalonian

If you are not careful you will end up like me, totally addled and confused with far too many decks, there will never be enough hours in the day to give them the attention they deserve. They will hide in drawers which sag under the weight. They will sit on bookshelves, gathering dust. You will become so overwhelmed that you will try to trim down your collection and find yourself gazing lovingly at a deck that hasn't seen the light of day for several years, unable to contemplate parting with it, because you may need it later (and let's be honest, you probably won't, because you haven't even looked at it for years).

Then, when you do finally decide to part with it, you'll find it's gone out of print, the price has gone into orbit, and you will then be scared that if you part with it now you won't be able to replace it if you want it again later (which you probably will, because life's like that).

Far better not to buy them in the first place.

I'm new at this, was that any good??
:) :) :)

cardlady22

swimming in tarot said:
And, I could just not boast of my decks online, like showing off my brownie badges on my sleeve...

Be prepared to give up Exchanges then! Your partner will end up getting you extra copies of whatever you already have . . . and it WILL turn out to be the one you were sorry you bought, but are too ashamed to post in the Trading section.

MoonGypsy

avalonian said:
If you are not careful you will end up like me, totally addled and confused with far too many decks, there will never be enough hours in the day to give them the attention they deserve. They will hide in drawers which sag under the weight. They will sit on bookshelves, gathering dust. You will become so overwhelmed that you will try to trim down your collection and find yourself gazing lovingly at a deck that hasn't seen the light of day for several years, unable to contemplate parting with it, because you may need it later (and let's be honest, you probably won't, because you haven't even looked at it for years).

Then, when you do finally decide to part with it, you'll find it's gone out of print, the price has gone into orbit, and you will then be scared that if you part with it now you won't be able to replace it if you want it again later (which you probably will, because life's like that).

Far better not to buy them in the first place.

I'm new at this, was that any good??

Avalonian, :laugh: i am sick in bed with a bug, and have to tell you, i am going to be laughing into next week over reading your post. Why i am laughing sooooo hard, is because most of what you said struck a very recognizable chord with me! :D Especially the "sagging drawers"!!! Oh, heck..."just about everything, really." MG admits blushingly.

You're definitely on your way to becoming a top notch de-enabler for sure!!!:thumbsup:

swimming in tarot

Ah...subtle point, cardlady. The unwanted decks attracting more of their kin. I could simply not become a subscriber, because I think that's subscribers only, the trading?

Avalonian, are we talking about a hidden addiction, your cards not seeing the light of day? Kind of like drinking alone?

Is there any reason NOT to obtain Bohemian Gothic (somehow), or Dark Grimoire, or Deviant Moon? Will my brain be overtaken by dark imaginings and obsessions, and all my potential vices realized, and my shadow tendencies worse? Speak now, please...they fascinate me.... Deviant Moon to me is not all darkness, either. Does that mean that I'm half swallowed by it already?

cardlady22

moi? a paid subscriber?
Surely you jest, thinking that I have a red cent to spare for the unfortunate enablers of my obsession after paying the individual AT members for their overburden of decks . . . have you perused how many of my decks came from these people? I had no decks to Trade!!!!

Yes, swimmingintarot, you are most assuredly one of those DMers. Don't say you weren't warned; although I sense you are a reverse psychology immune person.

MoonGypsy

swimming in tarot said:
I could simply not become a subscriber, because I think that's subscribers only, the trading?

}) :laugh: You don't have to be a subscriber to trade. You have to have at least 25 posts.

cardlady22

The Dark Grimoire is TOO real for me. I'm sure I have acquaintances who regularly converse with those creatures.

The Bohemian Gothic is most assuredly a B ~ as in B-grade flick. The name conjures the offspring of a flower child who wished herself into the Bram Stoker book and used her acid-dreaming . . . I mean lucid-dreaming . . . powers to create her own world.

Debra

Just get a copy of Dracula from the library. It'll fulfill your gothic horror needs for free.

avalonian

swimming in tarot said:
Avalonian, are we talking about a hidden addiction, your cards not seeing the light of day? Kind of like drinking alone?

Um, no. I have card decks in open bookcases in the living room as well as in my bedroom, when I say they don't see the light of day I mean they don't come out of their boxes (or bags) often enough. The trouble is, they do sort of mount up without you noticing once you get started. The little bit of the shelf on the bookcase reserved for decks gradually expands to take up the whole shelf. Then somehow they take over the whole bookcase. Then you buy another bookcase, and another. Then a taller one. Then a chest of drawers. Then you run out of room in the house, there are no remaining spaces in which to put new bookcases.

It's almost like they breed overnight. I look fondly back at the days when I thought six decks were five too many.

It's no good working out a budget by the way unless you've also worked out a budget for storage. Followed by a budget for moving house to one with more walls against which one can place bookcases.