Intensive Deck Study - Newly Started

Soaring Eagle

So interesting to see how different your 3 of swords (air) was compared to mine in both the imagery as well as the emotion that it brings.

They are very different. That's part of the fun of the IDS. Getting to read about and see the same card in different decks.

BTW, I added a comment on the 3 of Swords. I had to take some time to look at it, and even longer to process the information. It is REALLY graphic, or for me it is.

Chiriku

Maat tarot IDS

Hi all,

I'd like to do an IDS with the Maat tarot. Penthasilia helpfully volunteered to be my Maat study buddy. I am pretty sure that I will enjoy IDS'ing with it more than I did last year, when I was studying a beautiful but much "colder" (emotionally) deck. That IDS fizzled out after a few months.

One of the other reasons I left that IDS is because the prevailing sentiment of that IDS group was that it should be an exclusive as well as intensive study, and it is very claustrophobic for me to focus on one deck only, especially with one that can't be "learned" in a few short weeks and will require months of intensive study.

So, my guidelines for myself are:

1. Study the Maat--using journaling about cards, reading through Cuccia-Watts' books and activity books, and doing exercises such as creative writing, meditations, etc.---until December of this year.

2. For reading, continue with my Deck of the Week program elsewhere on AT, in which I pick one deck a week and use it for reading with. This way, I will have one study deck and one reading deck (which will alternate) each week.

I have somewhat of a dilemma because I'm trying to figure out if I should go through the cycles in the order Cuccia-Watts (the Maat creator) has the deck pre-arranged (journaling about each card as the activity book recommends) or if I should give into my indulgence to shuffle and read with the deck. For those who don't know, she has linked up each Major with several minors within lunar astrological sycles (i.e. the Virgo cycle, the Leo cycle, etc. So the first cycle , which started last week, includes The Emperor and several different Minors).

If I determine that it's important to learn her system in the order of the cards, I might keep it in order to do the Intensive Deck Study with Maat and just use other decks for reading, until I've completed the study of the cycles. I don't know if it is important, though.

I guess one of the things I don't understand yet (and the part of the ebook about the moon cycle doesn't explain) is how the lunar cycles are relevant to a reading. What I mean is: what does the reader gain--from the perspective of enriching readings-- by learning the whole structure and lunar associations she has set forth?

For instance, if I get a card in a reading, I can note that it is part of the Virgo lunar cycle or what have you; would I then just use the Virgo cycle's meanings/associations the same way I would with, say, elemental attributions--by adding another layer of meaning to the reading? (i.e. when a Cups card comes up in pretty much any deck, whether Golden Dawn based or not, I reflect on or, to the querent, talk about what the element of Water means in tarot and how it could relate to the queren't life or question. Then I interpret the card's meaning itself. So the elemental attribution is important, after all, and well worth the time I spent in the beginning of my tarot studies, years ago, to learn).

I'm sure her system is worth learning, anyway. I just don't know how I will use it and apply it to reading once I've learned it.

Penthasilia

Hi all,

I'd like to do an IDS with the Maat tarot. Penthasilia helpfully volunteered to be my Maat study buddy.

I have somewhat of a dilemma because I'm trying to figure out if I should go through the cycles in the order Cuccia-Watts (the Maat creator) has the deck pre-arranged (journaling about each card as the activity book recommends) or if I should give into my indulgence to shuffle and read with the deck. For those who don't know, she has linked up each Major with several minors within lunar astrological sycles (i.e. the Virgo cycle, the Leo cycle, etc. So the first cycle , which started last week, includes The Emperor and several different Minors).

If I determine that it's important to learn her system in the order of the cards, I might keep it in order to do the Intensive Deck Study with Maat and just use other decks for reading, until I've completed the study of the cycles. I don't know if it is important, though.

I guess one of the things I don't understand yet (and the part of the ebook about the moon cycle doesn't explain) is how the lunar cycles are relevant to a reading. What I mean is: what does the reader gain--from the perspective of enriching readings-- by learning the whole structure and lunar associations she has set forth?

For instance, if I get a card in a reading, I can note that it is part of the Virgo lunar cycle or what have you; would I then just use the Virgo cycle's meanings/associations the same way I would with, say, elemental attributions--by adding another layer of meaning to the reading? (i.e. when a Cups card comes up in pretty much any deck, whether Golden Dawn based or not, I reflect on or, to the querent, talk about what the element of Water means in tarot and how it could relate to the queren't life or question. Then I interpret the card's meaning itself. So the elemental attribution is important, after all, and well worth the time I spent in the beginning of my tarot studies, years ago, to learn).

I'm sure her system is worth learning, anyway. I just don't know how I will use it and apply it to reading once I've learned it.

(((Study buddy))) :D

I am doing it in the way she has listed for a variety of reasons:

1. It is helping me to learn her moon cycle method

2. Interestingly- the deck starts in the fall, which is the season where I am at, so it seems to be an excellent starting point.

3. There seems to be a good flow with how she lists the cards that I am really enjoying.

That being said- I am all for doing it whatever way calls to you! I am so glad you are joining in! :D

Soaring Eagle

Hi all,

I'd like to do an IDS with the Maat tarot. Penthasilia helpfully volunteered to be my Maat study buddy. I am pretty sure that I will enjoy IDS'ing with it more than I did last year, when I was studying a beautiful but much "colder" (emotionally) deck. That IDS fizzled out after a few months.

One of the other reasons I left that IDS is because the prevailing sentiment of that IDS group was that it should be an exclusive as well as intensive study, and it is very claustrophobic for me to focus on one deck only, especially with one that can't be "learned" in a few short weeks and will require months of intensive study.

So, my guidelines for myself are:

1. Study the Maat--using journaling about cards, reading through Cuccia-Watts' books and activity books, and doing exercises such as creative writing, meditations, etc.---until December of this year.

2. For reading, continue with my Deck of the Week program elsewhere on AT, in which I pick one deck a week and use it for reading with. This way, I will have one study deck and one reading deck (which will alternate) each week.

Welcome Chiriku. It's great to have more people joining. Even though I copied and pasted the guidelines from the other group, I made sure to state that we will use this group as the participants feel comfortable. I don't believe that we HAVE to use one deck only, but for some people, and for some decks this may be necessary so that the participant gets the most out of their studies. Feel free to use other decks if you feel you can still do an effective IDS.

I will add you to the participant list. Good Luck!!! :)

Owl Song

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for adding me, Soaring Eagle.

My Legacy of the Divine should arrive (hopefully) by October 13th so that I can get underway. I just got a message from Amazon that it shipped today.

The Vision Quest is a beautiful deck. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with it.

Chiriku

I am doing it in the way she has listed for a variety of reasons:

1. It is helping me to learn her moon cycle method

2. Interestingly- the deck starts in the fall, which is the season where I am at, so it seems to be an excellent starting point.

3. There seems to be a good flow with how she lists the cards that I am really enjoying.

That being said- I am all for doing it whatever way calls to you! I am so glad you are joining in! :D

Thanks for weighing in, Study Buddy! I will try to start with her order first, but might switch if I want to do more of a traditional "Fool's Journey" progression. I think I will have to haunt the Study Groups section for a while to read up on past opinions people have expressed.

I too thought it was a lucky coincidence for me that the time of year in which I purchased the deck is the first of her cycles.

I will add you to the participant list. Good Luck!!! :)

Thank you, Soaring Eagle.

janie144

Welcome here Starlily and Chiriku I hope you both enjoy your IDS :)

Ivy Rhiannon

Welcome aboard Starlily and Chiriku! Your super secret decoder rings are in the mail :p

Soaring Eagle

Vision Quest

I have been studying the cards in a linear format. Today I wanted to work on the Four of Air, so I put the three and the five on both sides of the four. I am having a lot of insights into the cards, that I don't think I would have found otherwise. I'm not a very "imaginative" person, I can't crawl into a card the way I have seen others here doing, and creating a story. This method helps me to see the bigger picture of the card.

My journal entries are ever expanding, and I feel a "need" to study the cards. Even though I want to do readings, it's as if the cards want to be studied. They aren't ready for readings, which has caused me some confusion, as I wasn't expecting this.

I tried to do two two three card readings for myself yesterday. The first brought up 5 of Air, 4 of Air, 3 of Air. Okay, I get it, the cards want to be studied. About an hour later, I did my second, and it was a little different, but again came up the 4 of Air. I really think that the readings didn't respond to my question, but were reminding me to get back to my studies. Even though I journaled these readings, I put my feelings about these readings also.

Today I have added the 4 of Air, 5 of Air, 6 of Air, and 7 of Air to the Vision Quest Study Group.

Chiriku

Welcome here Starlily and Chiriku I hope you both enjoy your IDS :)

Welcome aboard Starlily and Chiriku! Your super secret decoder rings are in the mail :p

Thank you both for your warm welcome. IvyRhiannon, you shouldn't have gotten my hopes up about that ring.now i'll be checking the mail.