Rackham By Duck Soup

The Happy Squirrel

What does everyone think about this deck?

http://playroom.tarotbyducksoup.com/p/the-arthur-rackham-otacle.html?m=1

I love illustrations of this period, and the integrity with which Duck Soup reproduce them (from
original images of his own collection) is very appealing to me.

But I have been on the fence about using decks as a reading deck when images came from pre-existing artwork. My experiment with the Wild Kuan Yin didn't have a very good result. I am giving it another go with the Victorian Flower deck by Baba Studio (pre-owned), which from my understanding is also based on pre-existing Victorian artwork about the language of flowers which was prominent at a time of rather high social restrictions.

Anyone has this Rackham deck?

Le Fanu

It isn't out yet. It may be a while. He says October but I've a feeling it may be a bit yet. Simply because the decks I love most always take ages to come out. Those bland, bloodless ones seem to come out so quickly!

I shall certainly be the FIRST to grab this one with my gnarled Rackham-tree-root fingers!

I also used to have a bit of an issue with decks using pre-existing artwork unless the images are unfamiliar (i.e Victorian Romantic) or have been changed beyond recognition (i.e Kat Black's Golden).

However, the Delphi has completely turned this prejudice on its head. I know all those images very well and it is a dream of a deck for me. It's all to do with the selection ("curating" as it's called with the Delphi) and whether it chimes with your notion of the image.

I'm sure this deck will be spectacular.

Padma

Thanks for posting this, Happy Squirrel! I shall be getting this one, for sure! I regretfully passed on the Ring Cycle tarot because I hated the two tone borders, and I was unwilling to learn the entire mythos of the Ring Cycle epic itself...this one shall fulfill me nicely, because mostly what I want is a small, hand-held encyclopedia of Rackham's art to consult, and peruse! Happy now! Love his deck back choices, too. :love:

The Happy Squirrel

Ah. Didn't see that it is not out yet. I haven't heard of the Delphi so far, I will definitely be Google-ing that.

I think the curating is definitely a vital part of it.

Also, the Wild Kuan Yin may not be a good example in this instance, as my level of discomfort goes beyond the fact that it uses pre-existing artwork.

But I am still unable to feel comfortable with Tarot Mucha for example, although I love the images. I think that one is original art but mimicking Mucha if I remember correctly, an approach which I have yet feel taken by.

Funny enough (or maybe not), in fact, I feel the most uncomfortable with altered pre-existing images. Kat Black's Golden Tarot falls under this.

It somehow feels more honest, when pre-existing images aren't altered *at all*, (like Baba's Victorian Flower and Victorian Romantic decks), and then reframed. This way it feels as if things are more honest and transparent, because we have in front of us both the original as however they might have been intended, and then the reframing of them as intended currently. Consequently it feels more as if we are given the freedom of choice of moving back and forth between the two narratives, the current and the original, as the latter isn't obliterated from existence at any given moment.

Sorry for the ramble I am yet to have my second cup of coffee this morning.

PS: I just realised I have talked myself into getting this deck :D

reall

I just checked this on fb today!:)) and comented how I prefer this over Ring Tarot!:))
imo problem with famous art may be to strong energy?:)) that interfere with reading?:))
btw I would still prefer it with simple borders design or borderles poker size with just that simple title part!:))

The Happy Squirrel

I just checked this on fb today!:)) and comented how I prefer this over Ring Tarot!:))

imo problem with famous art may be to strong energy?:)) that interfere with reading?:))

btw I would still prefer it with simple borders design or borderles poker size with just that simple title part!:))

I think poker size might be too small for the artwork?

Padma

Agree, Reall! No borders would be awesome! That was one of my beefs with the Ring Cycle tarot - the borders ate the image, way too big! (and two tone - ugh!)

That is an interesting concept, about famous works being so powerful that it interferes with reading...perhaps due to the fact it already has a life of its own.

The Happy Squirrel

Agree, Reall! No borders would be awesome! That was one of my beefs with the Ring Cycle tarot - the borders ate the image, way too big! (and two tone - ugh!)

That is an interesting concept, about famous works being so powerful that it interferes with reading...perhaps due to the fact it already has a life of its own.

My initial reaction is with the borders too but then without them, you are risking compromising the original images (since these are taken from original artwork) which will have to be interfered with if the titles and keywords were to be embedded in them....

Padma

That makes sense - but, it could be done like the Hidden Realm tarot, with the only border being a black one at the bottom, with the keyword written in that small bar.

The Happy Squirrel

That makes sense - but, it could be done like the Hidden Realm tarot, with the only border being a black one at the bottom, with the keyword written in that small bar.

Or leave the current bottom border design and remove the rest :D