Differences between Thoth and RWS decks?

Aina

I have been using RWS deck and it's clones mainly but right now I'm in a mood to try out Thoth and (other decks). In any case, I just wanted to know what is so special about the Thoth deck and what makes it so different from the RWS and why are some cards renamed such as "Lust", "Art" etc. Would you recommend it? Thanks.

Radke

I heard Thoth is really nice, but for more advanced readers

gregory

Not necessarily.

Not at ALL.

A deck is what you make of it. There is a BUNDLE to study in the Thoth, which can - if you choose - last you a lifetime - but if it calls to you - go for it and use it anyway.

herself

This may be controversial, but the Thoth is quite readable even if you know nothing about the Golden Dawn or Crowley's vision. I was drawn to the deck for the artwork initially; when I wanted to learn more about what I was looking at, I turned to the theory.

Zephyros

I think LRichard is correct in saying not necessarily, but not because of anything having to do with the Thoth, but with the RWS. The Thoth is often said to have a lifetime of study in it, very deep, etc., but the same thing can be said for the RWS. The RWS is not a beginner's deck, it isn't simple or simplistic, it shouldn't be disparaged as "easy." It has, at its base, the same structure as the Thoth, much of the same symbolism, attributions, study and meditation potential... an entire world, really. The difference is that the occult knowledge in it is hidden, so it is perceived to be simpler, as most people choose to simply ignore what the Thoth makes it that much harder to ignore. If one classifies the Thoth as difficult one should do the same with the RWS.

If one reads intuitively by the pictures alone, or by simply learning card meanings by heart, there is no difference between the decks, and one could read with anything. For that matter, reading intuitively makes it so there is barely any difference between Tarot and oracles.

The difference between the RWS and the Thoth is in what they say, their overall philosophy and message, although they both use exactly the same language to say it.

nisaba

This may be controversial, but the Thoth is quite readable even if you know nothing about the Golden Dawn or Crowley's vision. I was drawn to the deck for the artwork initially;

And in fact, I'll go one step further. Even knowing something of its background and symbolism, it's quite possible to completely ignore that and read with it anyway, going on the images and the cards' subtitles. It reads really well as an advanced deck, and as a beginner's deck.

Richard

Some people might find it very hard to ignore the symbols. It's a mental thing. For example, if I wanted to use the Thoth, it would drive me nuts not to know what the symbols mean, and why they are on the cards. However, if one does investigate the symbols, it may just serve to raise further questions, which in turn may raise still more questions, and one may discover that knowledge and ignorance go hand-in-hand. The more I learn, the more aware I am of how little I know.

nisaba

... and one may discover that knowledge and ignorance go hand-in-hand. The more I learn, the more aware I am of how little I know.

<grin> That's why I had to grin when on FB a "Tarot Master" less than half my age who'd been using Tarot for five years told me that when I reached his level of skill I'd be as confident as he was. Well, I *did* reach his level of skill, probably at a similar age. And I probably *was* that unbearably smug and arrogant. I've since learnt a bit more, just enough to notice the gaps in my knowledge. <cackle>