Touchstone Tarot by Kat Black

HearthCricket

Hey, Kat....how are the sales going? I expect my deck in a few days. If I decide I want a backup, are there still enough left? Just curious! I also just recommended your Golden Tarot to a friend, who is now going nutty just waiting to order it from the local store!!

retrokat

According to Leisa's site there are 208 left right now. I guess how fast they sell will depend on what you all say when you get your decks any day now!

I'm so happy that so many of you showed faith in the deck by pre-ordering, having not seen many of the cards even. It's made it so much less of a risk for us, knowing that the printing cost and bag materials etc would at least be covered.

Le Fanu

Ive been following this thread and am thinking about ordering the Touchstone, but it isn´t clear to me, taking away the accessories which come with it and the fact that changes/ improvements might be made prior to the mass market edition, whether there are going to be any major differences.

I mean, are the cards themselves of the limited edition going to have any major differences from the forthcoming mass market version? Use of ink? Finish? Different backs? Different size?

retrokat

The main difference will be the fact the LE is available a year earlier, and that there are only 500 of them so they will be quite collectable. Other than that, I'd say the Mass Market edition will be superior in production quality, simply because luxuries such as gilded edges etc simply aren't possible with a small run.

I'd suggest you wait for the MM version, if rarity and getting the deck sooner aren't a concern for you.

As for size, finish, backs etc, Kunati and I are a long way from finalising specifics like that for the MM version. All we've really determined is that it will be a 'deluxe' deck. Nice box, gold edges etc.

Leisa

Mistakes are possible even though I tried to double check all of my work. You should receive a shipping confirmation number from my shop. And I tried to include the edition number with that every time.

If you chose Priority Mail, the US Post Office had the option to send another e-mail which I selected because it has the tracking information included with it.

Le Fanu

Thanks for that Retrokat! Still in two minds.... (and rarity - rather than getting the deck sooner - is perhaps a concern!! :))

If it´s anything like the Golden, even the massmarket edition will have an air of luxury and "limited edition-ness" about it. I have to congratulate you on the finish to your product. It really stands out on the current market. And no U.S Games lacquer! Makes all the difference...

retrokat

Thanks for the thought - although I had no input to US Games decision as to finish etc. I'm very happy with what they came up with though - Golden is certainly a very nice package, excellent quality production for the price. Kunati have told me that they want to treat TT in a similar way - and I'm not going to complain about that! :)

Funnily enough, the most negative reviews Golden has ever got are because it was printed in China (the only way to make such a fancy package for the price) and because it's on thick cardstock (which takes a little time to 'wear in' but then proves to be very durable). Also, some people complained about the gilt edges due to allergies (I'd suggest having the edges trimmed in that case).

I think the opulent package - box, gilt edges and thick cardstock - are some of the things that really set Golden apart from the crowd of decks available.

Goes to show, you'll never make everyone happy!

Le Fanu

I have to let you into a secret. I bought the Golden, loved the opulence of it and the artwork, but had enormous difficulties with the way it stuck together. I felt it would never shuffle well. I kept it for a while, admired it, but while I loved the cardstock, it just seemed to stick together all the time.

So I traded it (sorry! :(). Then I changed my mind recently, entered into a trade with Umbrae and asked for a copy of the Golden again (my 2nd this year!).

Im going to give it another try. So the shuffling does get easier with time? Im really looking forward to giving it another go. Should arrive this week!

retrokat

I guess probably other people would be better to comment on this than me, but whenever I've got a new copy of Golden, I just fanned the cards a few times to separate the gilt edges, then it was fine to shuffle with. Years of office work, having to fan reams of paper before loading them in a photocopier made it automatic for me - I found it no trouble at all.

Obviously the need to 'break it in' has put some people off, but I think it's worth it to have lovely gilt edges that are hardy enough to keep shining after years of use. USGS had to do a lot of work to get it right - I don't think any mass-produced deck before Golden had gilt edges (Umbrae, perhaps you'd know if that's the case?).

tarot4fun

Le Fanu said:
So the shuffling does get easier with time? Im really looking forward to giving it another go. Should arrive this week!
Yes, it does. :)

I LOVE Everything about the Golden~
~which means I will most likely end up with the beautiful Touchstone~ :D

:heart: