Frieda Harris & the Thoth deck

Teheuti

Just a tiny snippet:
"Like most artists, when painting she was careless about her dress, standing at her easel in a paint-stained blue linen smock. When entertaining guests she wore the most bizarre things. One afternoon she served tea wearing a voluminous dark-brown robe, with a length of thick, soft white rope around her neck."

"In short, she was 'moody, obstinate, tender, sincere, willful, and extravagantly perverse.'"

Teheuti

For the last decade of her life Lady Percy Harris lived on a houseboat in the middle of a lake in Srinagar, India.

Zephyros

Just a tiny snippet:
"Like most artists, when painting she was careless about her dress, standing at her easel in a paint-stained blue linen smock. When entertaining guests she wore the most bizarre things. One afternoon she served tea wearing a voluminous dark-brown robe, with a length of thick, soft white rope around her neck."

"In short, she was 'moody, obstinate, tender, sincere, willful, and extravagantly perverse.'"

I guess she took after Henry Paget, although she wasn't quite as rich. No doubt about it, she was far ahead of her time, and I guess that's one of the reasons they hit it off. No being demure and proper for her!

Teheuti

I guess she took after Henry Paget, although she wasn't quite as rich.
Not to be confused with a different Henry Paget who was the brother-in-law of Florence Farr (one time head of the GD in London).

ravenest

I guess she took after Henry Paget, although she wasn't quite as rich. No doubt about it, she was far ahead of her time, and I guess that's one of the reasons they hit it off. No being demure and proper for her!

"Many contemporaries thought of Henry as homosexual " ... how on earth did they come to THAT conclusion ? :laugh:

Even I have to admire a man that perfumes his car exhaust :) - thats ****in great ! ... :laugh:

Zephyros

Marginally off-topic, but high society in those days was such a small clique of people, and they all new each other (hence the Social Register). I would have liked to read actual contemporary gossip about the figures we're studying. Harris, for example, probably knew the Marquess and met him at parties, what did she think of him? Did Crowley lose any friends who were on the Titanic (I believe William Stead may have been interested in the occult)? Did they visit the Crystal Palace? What did J.J. Astor think of these affairs, reading about the GD scandals in papers?

Things like that... :)

Teheuti

I would have liked to read actual contemporary gossip about the figures we're studying. Harris, for example, probably knew the Marquess and met him at parties, what did she think of him?
I write about some of the gossip in my book, Women of the Golden Dawn - although I barely touched on Crowley. I doubt if Frieda Harris (1877-1962), the daughter of a surgeon, hung out with the Marquess in their youth. Henry Cyril Paget died in 1905, and had spent the last years of his life relatively impoverished in France.

foolMoon

9 of DISKS

I was reading with Thoth deck this morning, and noticed for the first time there were some faces drawn in the disks of the 9 of DISKS card.

It was interesting to know from the book of Gerd Ziegler's Mirror of the Soul, that those face drawings are of Lady Harris, Crowley and Israel Regardie. According to the book, Lady Harris drew these faces in the DISKs for signifying special close relationship between these people including her.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...owley-thoth-tarot-scans-9-of-disks%2F;552;768