Mary El Tarot - Three of Cups

Bat Chicken

http://www.mary-el.com/cups1.html

This looks like the cliff behind the Fool. We are viewing it from the other side of the canyon it would seem from the gnarled, bare tree in the foreground. Instead of the misty background of the Fool, the waterfalls are clear and the single river divides into three before plunging off the edge. Even the skies look heavy with rain and the ground coloured in the fresh intense green of early Spring. The body of the Empress, her endless nurture… The rush of water is the free flow of emotion.

Thoughts?

Mi-Shell

Nice card.
A river dividing into 3 waterfalls.
Kabbalah
The One dividing into 3
Serene.
But So very NOT Mary El.
The message for me: There are always at least 3 ways to look at something.
In our Siberian tribal belief it says: 3 sides you see, 3 sides stay hidden
3 ways to judge
good
bad
and fair

Mi-Shell

As Endorphin and Alta noted in the thread -
I can not resist of impression that some of the cards were well-done, but others were left as a sketches. Or even.. like this deck was drawn by two or even three people.
and
Yes, I also find the art uneven in completeness.

I feel, this card could be from any deck...
For me it is a beautiful image, but anyone could have painted it for any deck.
The "Mary El mystique" is - missing.....

I hope at some later point to be able to make better sense of these feelings I have about a number of cards and then be better able to put them into coherent words....

For now I am still - studying the images, take note of the feelings they evoke in me, muse about their associations and significances within me...
and am also learning the kabbalistic associations that prompted the artist....

Bat Chicken

Hmmmm. I can understand why you might think that, but IMHO, it fits both symbolically and stylistically.

As I already said, it looks like the misty landscape from behind the Fool which is significant all on its own. On the surface looks like it could be for any deck, but if it is the Fool's background - the significance is loaded with that 'mystique'. It is just much more subtle. I like that subtlety. The sense of change - flux - and the mutable nature of geography and landscape is very gently but effectively presented. The power of a waterfall in Nature, the force of water (and wind here!) deliver a deep emotional experience - love - for the whole.

The Thoth 3 of Cups is the "Lord of Abundance" and that allusion to the Empress, deep passion and love - even the conditions for creation - are all present. I personally love this kind of landscape painting, so it speaks to me. Not every card will for everyone. Our unique interpretations are what make it so much more interesting! But to say it is NOT Mary El I'm afraid we'll have to disagree! :)

I had no idea you were interested in Qabalah, MiShell. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

RunningWild

I'm jumping around here as each card starts to make more sense. I, too, enjoy this sort of landscape painting but I did at first have a difficult time understanding the way it fit into the deck.

I'm finally beginning to see how the elements within the deck fit together. The waterfalls beginning with one great river, dividing into three and pooling together again at the base. At the bottom, which we cannot see, it's tumultuous, the great force of the water from above pushing the water below around, churning things up.

I can see how abundance fits here.

ETA: I have more to say on this but my second cup of coffee just wasn't enough. :laugh:

Bat Chicken

I'm jumping around here as each card starts to make more sense. I, too, enjoy this sort of landscape painting but I did at first have a difficult time understanding the way it fit into the deck.

I'm finally beginning to see how the elements within the deck fit together. The waterfalls beginning with one great river, dividing into three and pooling together again at the base. At the bottom, which we cannot see, it's tumultuous, the great force of the water from above pushing the water below around, churning things up.

I can see how abundance fits here.

ETA: I have more to say on this but my second cup of coffee just wasn't enough. :laugh:
I am anxious to hear more... I love how things are not always explicit in this deck. It requires imagination. Love it....

missy

Three of Cups

Meeting up with three different paths: the three waterfalls. Which one to take?

The tree branches represent our thought patterns. Confusion, the brain stem, how we think and get lost among many paths and subpaths.

Meanings: Friendship. Peace. Resolution. Bounty. Overflowing happiness. Some issue standing in the way, preventing you from seeing the bigger picture. (The small branch in the way of the three waterfalls) The goal (lush landscape at the top of the waterfall) is ripe for the picking: you just need to find a path to get there. Overflowing emotions. An emotional time. You can count on your friends. You are made of strong stuff. (i.e., that gnarled little tree branch growing out of that rock is stronger than you think!) The sun will come out tomorrow. It's a beautiful day.