Finally! Chronata's tarot deck in progress

Chronata

All right already!
I finally got up enough courage to talk about my tarot deck! (Thanks, Baba Prague!)

I have been rather apprehensive about sharing this for a couple of reasons. None of them are particularly valid.

At first I was worried because I am an outsider artist. Not a fine artist, but more like a folk artist. I have had absolutely no training and everything I do is self-taught. Even though my art works have been selling for many years, I still feel a little weird about sometimes...especially since there are sooo many really talented artists here on Aeclectic making decks.

I realize that I have a style...and it may not be everyone's taste, but it is me. And this deck is very personal, to my own taste.

I am calling it the Tarot of the Midnight Masquerade.

I was also a little apprehensive about my own theme. I know there are other theme decks out there with a similar theme. Blue Fusion's got that gorgeous Masque deck...and when I first saw Folchi's Venetian Carnival deck...my heart sank! It was after I did all my preliminary sketches, and I discovered a real similarity, and thought that folks might think my own deck was derivitive.

A good, and very wise friend of mine reminded me that there is room in the tarot world for similar deck themes. After all, there are many many cat decks, and many fairy decks, and most people are not complaining!

The theme of the deck comes from my love of Mardi Gras and Carnival. I have been a costumer, mask-maker and puppetmaker (or "Masketeer and Puppetress"!)for about 15 years, and it naturally has melded with my love of tarot. I have been working on the sketches for about 10 years now.

I wanted to do something a bit different with the idea of the LWB as well.
This deck, when completed will have something more like a story book to explain what is happening in each scene...

Once upon a time, Fortuna, also known as Lady Luck, threw a masqued ball for all the people she knew. Something wonderful and magical and mysterious will happen when the clock strikes Midnight.
Each card will depict a scene of guests arriving, or other things that are happening during the course of the evening, leading up to Midnight.
The story isn't completely worked out yet...but more of it reveals itself to me in each card I manage to finish!

Anyway, I decided it was time to stop being a chicken and share my idea with everyone here.
Thanks for taking the time to look! :D

The file I am arttempting to attatch shows the first card I did.

Attachments

• mmempressa.jpg
    mmempressa.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,190

Aura Wolf

Oh, dear god. Chronata, you are officially insane. How could you be afraid to show off this deck, your artwork is beautiful!

MeeWah

Chronata: I love your deck theme idea & its name, Tarot of the Midnight Masquerade. It promises an intriguing deck, especially if its inspiration is Mardi Gras & Carnival.

I am sold on your deck just from the Empress card alone! Very evocative of the theme.

Are there any more cards?

scorpio

Chronata, totally charming card! more more more...

Le_Corsair

Good theme, good art! I want to see Jean Lafitte! :D

Bob :THERM

lunalafey

I LIKE your Empress!
the colors are wonderful & reflect the colorful nature of the celebrations! festive....how many cards do you have done?
I'd like to see more....
what are your suits?
beads?
coins?
masks?

HudsonGray

Why would you think you need to be an art major to do anything? I'm not! Self taught works just fine!

Your card is great! About time you got going on it, right? Let's see the other cards as you get them finished!

WolfyJames

What a pretty card! If the rest is as good, you better show them up 'cause I want to see. The image is so cute, childlike, with vibrant colors. You have more talent than you think. I can't even make stick figures. We want to know more about this deck, and see more cards, that's for sure.

Majecot

Re: .....

Dead Star said:
Oh, dear god. Chronata, you are officially insane. How could you be afraid to show off this deck, your artwork is beautiful!

Chronata I have to agree with Dead Star..... you are definatley hiding your light under the bushel!!!

I love that card, it is stunning... please share more!

Jewel-ry

Chronata,

Why have you been hiding your talent all this time? I love the theme and I love the Empress1 So glad you've 'come out'. I shall watch your progress with interest.

J :)