Quick Review - The Modern Spellcaster's Tarot

sleepnheat

I just wanted to do this quick review on 'The Modern Spellcaster's Tarot' by Melanie Marquis
I received my deck*in the mail today and couldn't wait to get home to open the box! As soon as I did, I was surprised by the quality of the box and the overall look. Very nice! Upon opening the box, which has a flap held over the edge via a magnet, again, I found a*very nice presentation!!
I quickly unwrapped the decked, laid down on my bed, and went through each card. WOW!!!! There is so much symbolisms, so much to see! The cards are beautifully drawn and truly artistic! There is a lot to see in each card without it being overwhelming. Between the animals, symbols on clothing, background, facial expressions; I can't imagine how much the deck has to offer for each reading!! I should note that once I opened the deck, it was hard to put them down! I found them to be very energetic with a good positive vibe! If it weren't for my kids getting home from school, I would still be thumbing though them over and over! The card stock is not thick, but I think they will hold up well with care. The gloss on the card is not too much to distract you, but just enough to enhance the pictures. Overall, I am very happy with this deck!! I just can't get over how each card beautifully depicts a story!
The kit comes with a book on this specific deck. In reading the first quarter of the book, it lays out the basics for the Tarot beginner including subjects such as care, cleaning, and charging. A good portion of the book is devoted to descriptions of each card. There is also a section on using the Tarot for magick and spells! I personally am looking forward to that chapter in an effort to expand my craft work. It's an easy to read book and a great addition to the deck!

I can't wait to dig into these bad boys!!!

Hyaeth

Great review! I recently received this deck as a gift, and my first impressions were much the same as yours. I also appreciate the abundance of symbols and the detail of each scene, and I'm looking forward to using the deck for readings!

Pipistrelle

I got this deck from my husband for Christmas and it's not one I would have chosen for myself but I've been pleasantly surprised. It reminds me a bit of the Druidcraft but not quite as druidy or celticky. ;-) There are only a couple of cards I don't like and I love the swishiness of the card stock when I shuffle!

Beancrew49

I've been working with this deck for about 2 weeks now, and I really struggled with it at the beginning. I just could not wrap my head around Swords being fire element and Wands being air. It seemed so counterintuitive and nonsensical to me and it really put me off the deck. So I came on this forum and asked for some advice about it and someone suggested that I just ignore the elemental flip flop and read the deck how I want to read it. So I set my intent into the deck that Wands are now fire and swords are now air, and since then it's been just great. The images give so much to work off of and the characters seems to pop out of the image. It shuffles so smoothly and has just the right amount of gloss. I'm glad I came on here and asked for advice because I was on the verge of getting rid of the deck, the elemental switching was just that detrimental.

Le Fanu

Despite my reservations about the cardstock - well, actually not reservations, just outright dislike - this is a deck I keep coming back to. I find the artwork quite intense; incredibly detailed and the borderlessness really pulls you in. I have acknowledged the fact that I probably won't use it so much that I wear it out so I worry less about the cardstock now - but the artwork is quite compelling - there are only a couple of faces which are somehow off-kilter for me, but for the rest, I do keep coming back to it. Very easy to read. Would be a great beginner's deck. I LOVE the Knights - all the courts in fact. I think that's what makes the deck such a success to be honest. Very alive courts.

Barleywine

I haven't used it in one of my own readings yet, but did today in a Your Readings comment session that required a pagan-themed deck, and it performed magnificently. I'm sold!