Ace of swords, a harsh card?

lilac04

Hi all,

I always find that whenever I draw the ace of swords - and I drew it recently in regards to a job enquiry, it generally means that things are just simply not going to work out, the chords are cut and that's it - kapish. I always find it to be very clear and 9 times out of 10, quite harsh and immediate news or communication.

I have yet to receive it to mean something 'warm and positive'. Has anyone had different experiences with the ace of swords? Have I read it differently?

jayem

Hi all,

I always find that whenever I draw the ace of swords - and I drew it recently in regards to a job enquiry, it generally means that things are just simply not going to work out, the chords are cut and that's it - kapish. I always find it to be very clear and 9 times out of 10, quite harsh and immediate news or communication.

I have yet to receive it to mean something 'warm and positive'. Has anyone had different experiences with the ace of swords? Have I read it differently?

I see Ace of Swords as not so much harsh, but more having to do with a sudden and quick thought or communication. I'd compare it to the Ace of Wands, but swords are more cerebral than wands.

decan

According to what is generally written with regard to the Ace of Swords upright, it isn't a bad card.

Number 1 corresponds to "the seed or root of the Element", here Air element, and the card generally means that the querent has the force of the Air element at her/his disposal, therefore for example mental energy, fresh ideas, the power of words and so on.
Maybe in your spread there was an unfortunate card close to this one?

Barleywine

According to what is generally written with regard to the Ace of Swords upright, it isn't a bad card.

Number 1 corresponds to "the seed or root of the Element", here Air element, and the card generally means that the querent has the force of the Air element at her/his disposal, therefore for example mental energy, fresh ideas, the power of words and so on.

I fully agree with this. "At his/her disposal" is the key phrase, since Ace energy must be "triggered" in some way to find outward expression; it's "potential" rather than "kinetic" energy, at least in my experience. I often think of the Ace as a "launching pad" for the energy of the element; opportunity that only needs "ignition" to take off. I don't think I would ever characterize the Ace of Swords as "warm," but it's polarity is positive if you take that in an abstract rather than literal sense. By itself, I don't think it automatically implies a harsh result, but it could mean an uncompromising one, since it also suggests an unblinking clarity of vision. It could be advising you to examine your approach and your expectations more closely.

Michellehihi

To the contrary, I can tell you of a very clear example of a situation when an Ace of Swords has proved to be a very positive card.
Last October, I was in a hotel room with a friend, the day before a half marathon we were both to race the next day. She was nervous, she had never ran that distance, and had not trained for it, as she got injured 2 weeks prior to that. I was trying to encourage her but inside of me I was thinking that she would never make it!

She asked for a one card reading that night. I drew the Ace of Swords. At first she was scared but I told her that it was a good omen, that Aces are about beginning, and I saw that she was determined and with this mindset she would make it (but I still doubted, inside my heart).

The next day was the race. She did a better time than me even if I had trained like a crazy for the past weeks, and she said she could have continued running at the end of the race! We were both amazed and she was crying out of joy! Such is the power of the Ace of Swords!

For the most part, I like the Ace of Swords. It may not be a sensitive card all the time, but it cuts through situations, often providing clear communication when needed. That's my two cents. :)

Grizabella

I could see it as a new way of thinking. Or the start of a new way of thinking about how to approach jobs.

Also, Swords cut both ways, so I think that means they're able to represent both negative and positive things. Being cards of thoughtfulness, the Ace of Swords might be about changing your way of thinking about how you word your resume and the need to give it a redo. Or it could suggest looking for jobs outside your usual kind of employment, thinking about the skills you've gained from your past jobs that could appeal to an employer who had some other job he needed to fill.

I've been reading quite awhile but I still hesitate over the Aces sometimes. I've seen it said that they're the potentials of the suit and contain all the possibilities of it condensed into the Ace. It reminds me of opening an umbrella. It's the folded umbrella, just fabric wrapped around a stick, but if you push the button, it unfolds to become a much bigger tool with more uses.

nisaba

Intelligence, clear-sightedness, knowledge and honesty always seem to me to be warm and positive <smile>.

Ace

A writer once said, "the truth is a sword that points as well as cuts." So the Ace of swords doesn't HAVE to cut or be harsh to tell the truth. But it DOES cut through the crap and get to the truth. Therefore, if sometimes you want to sugarcoat or not face the truth, the Ace of swords could be a hard card for you. But I don't believe it is harsh in itself.

barb

lilac04

Hi all thank you for weighing in! :)

I see Ace of Swords as not so much harsh, but more having to do with a sudden and quick thought or communication. I'd compare it to the Ace of Wands, but swords are more cerebral than wands.

Jayem, i agree with it being cerebral too, more so than the wands.

Hi Decan - I'm not sure. To be fair, I have had it come up in fairly neutral readings as well, but perhaps a time will come when that will change.

I fully agree with this. "At his/her disposal" is the key phrase, since Ace energy must be "triggered" in some way to find outward expression; it's "potential" rather than "kinetic" energy, at least in my experience. I often think of the Ace as a "launching pad" for the energy of the element; opportunity that only needs "ignition" to take off. I don't think I would ever characterize the Ace of Swords as "warm," but it's polarity is positive if you take that in an abstract rather than literal sense. By itself, I don't think it automatically implies a harsh result, but it could mean an uncompromising one, since it also suggests an unblinking clarity of vision. It could be advising you to examine your approach and your expectations more closely.

Hi Barleywine, some very good points there. I think that's true about uncompromising tones and clarity of vision. And i like the idea of self-reflection that you suggested with this card as well - seeing as how it's about inner work.

To the contrary, I can tell you of a very clear example of a situation when an Ace of Swords has proved to be a very positive card.
Last October, I was in a hotel room with a friend, the day before a half marathon we were both to race the next day. She was nervous, she had never ran that distance, and had not trained for it, as she got injured 2 weeks prior to that. I was trying to encourage her but inside of me I was thinking that she would never make it!

She asked for a one card reading that night. I drew the Ace of Swords. At first she was scared but I told her that it was a good omen, that Aces are about beginning, and I saw that she was determined and with this mindset she would make it (but I still doubted, inside my heart).

The next day was the race. She did a better time than me even if I had trained like a crazy for the past weeks, and she said she could have continued running at the end of the race! We were both amazed and she was crying out of joy! Such is the power of the Ace of Swords!

Thanks for your story Michelle! I like that. Love the story of the positive power of the ace! :)

For the most part, I like the Ace of Swords. It may not be a sensitive card all the time, but it cuts through situations, often providing clear communication when needed. That's my two cents. :)

Truth is an important and positive way to look at life, I agree.

I could see it as a new way of thinking. Or the start of a new way of thinking about how to approach jobs.

Also, Swords cut both ways, so I think that means they're able to represent both negative and positive things. Being cards of thoughtfulness, the Ace of Swords might be about changing your way of thinking about how you word your resume and the need to give it a redo. Or it could suggest looking for jobs outside your usual kind of employment, thinking about the skills you've gained from your past jobs that could appeal to an employer who had some other job he needed to fill.

I've been reading quite awhile but I still hesitate over the Aces sometimes. I've seen it said that they're the potentials of the suit and contain all the possibilities of it condensed into the Ace. It reminds me of opening an umbrella. It's the folded umbrella, just fabric wrapped around a stick, but if you push the button, it unfolds to become a much bigger tool with more uses.

I love your philosophical take on this card Grizabella. And thanks for the suggestions too in regards to resume and thinking outside the typical lines of employment. I think that suits my situation also. I also like your thoughts about the analogy of the umbrella, the beginning of something that is neither good nor bad. Good thoughts.

Intelligence, clear-sightedness, knowledge and honesty always seem to me to be warm and positive <smile>.

Hi Nisaba, very clear and insightful thought, as usual :)

A writer once said, "the truth is a sword that points as well as cuts." So the Ace of swords doesn't HAVE to cut or be harsh to tell the truth. But it DOES cut through the crap and get to the truth. Therefore, if sometimes you want to sugarcoat or not face the truth, the Ace of swords could be a hard card for you. But I don't believe it is harsh in itself.

barb

Hi Ace, yes the truth can be hard to give and harder to receive, that much is true!

Thanks all for weighing in :)