Rider Waite card(s) secret......

rwcarter

The image on the Fool's bag in my Pam B looks like the image from the Pictorial key. I'm still hard pressed to call that an eagle though....

The image from the World card is what's on the Fool's bag in my yellow box RWS decks.

roppo

Here's the Fool's bag from The Occult Review 1909 Dec. issue.

I suppose it's an Eagle's head.

Attachments

• ORFoolsbag.jpg
    ORFoolsbag.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 198

rwcarter

Thanks roppo!

I can finally see the connection between the image on my Pam B and the image on the Pam A! I still say the image on the B looks more like a butterfly though. But I'll keep both images in my "back pocket" as it were because either might be relevant to a particular reading.

tarotcardrose

I always saw the wheels on the Fool's tunic, to represent a Gypsy style, In Romani, the symbol on the flag is a wheel to represent movement, freedom from the material world. In Waite's book he describes the fool as a spirit not of the flesh, a spirit traveling in the flesh!.

I got the bigger symbols, but I am still stuck on the 7 of wands, why he has a shoe & boot? Was this covered I skipped some posts.

Parzival

Rider-Waite: Eagle on the Pouch

roppo said:
Here's the Fool's bag from The Occult Review 1909 Dec. issue.

I suppose it's an Eagle's head.

Definitely an Eagle on this one. The other one looks less eagle-like, more like a butterfly. Two different drawings in earliest pritings. But the Eagle makes sense for symbolic substance: vision, perception, flight, air, elevation, descent, thought, etc. Interesting that the pouch with Eagle is carried behind the forward-stepping fool. Thanks for the close-up image.

Teheuti

Roppo - that's the clearest image yet - the eye with pupil, the hooked beak, and the feathers! Thank you. It actually would make a great graphic like for a company logo.