Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles

Major Tom

I've just uploaded The Hermit to the website at http://www.majortom.biz/marseilles/deck.htm

All constructive comments welcome. Tell me whether you love or you hate it.

I'm also open to any suggestions regarding what to name this deck. Thanks. :)

baba-prague

Tom,

I like this one. I think the colouring is looking good plus the expression on the face - in fact the whole form of the figure - seems to me to be stronger than in some of the early cards.

It's definitely become more elegant and I think that's great.

firemaiden

I'd like to ditto Baba here, Tom. It's becoming more elegant. I like that.

Imagemaker

Very nice! I like his straight back and lifted cane combined with the gray beard.

This Hermit has taken care of his body while in retreat--a more youthful spirit (in his age) than many Hermits who look more burdened, stooped and looking down. There's a hint of his inner optimism in the half-sun peeking out from his coat lining.

Lovely work.

Major Tom

baba-prague said:
It's definitely become more elegant and I think that's great.

Karen (and Paula) - I'm not sure what you mean by elegant - I don't see the elegance. :confused:

Having said that, finishing this card has made me want to completely redraw the High Priestess. :laugh:

Imagemaker - Thanks for picking up on the symbolism. :)

Edited to add: Any suggestions for a name?

Imagemaker

- I'm not sure what you mean by elegant - I don't see the elegance.

Because he's thin and distinguished, straight-backed and vital . . . that comes across as elegant. Dare I say, aristocratic?

As for symbolism, I wondered if the striped ground stands for the light and dark experiences in life? (I first noticed such stripes in my Haindl chariot card.)

Le_Corsair

Major Tom, the one thing I have always noticed about the various Tarots de Marseilles are that they are pretty monocultural, i.e., western European. How about correcting this in your deck, and give the world

Major Tom's Multicultural Tarot of Marseilles?

Bob :THERM

baba-prague

Well, "elegance" is definitely meant as a compliment. I think I mean that one or two of the early cards looked a bit awkward to me, whereas this Hermit looks generally more balanced, more attractive and kind of well... elegant. I don't just mean that the figure is of a more elegant person (though I have to say that my bugbear with the original HP and Empress is that they looked a bit lacking in the kind of aura that these cards ideally need - but I know you have changed them since) I mean the actual drawing looks more self-assured and hangs together better.

I LIKE the Hermit :)

Le_Corsair

Imagemaker said:
As for symbolism, I wondered if the striped ground stands for the light and dark experiences in life? (I first noticed such stripes in my Haindl chariot card.)

I like this hermit, myself; I wondered if the striped ground meant he was standing in a plowed field?

Bob :THERM

Major Tom

baba-prague said:
I mean the actual drawing looks more self-assured and hangs together better.

Thanks Karen, and I knew you were being complimentary - I just couldn't see 'better drawn' as elegant but I guess it is. I think I probably will revisit the High Priestess.

Bob - I'm not trying to correct the Tarot of Marseilles, just bring the costumes up to date. So I'm open to further name suggestions. :)

Bob and Imagemaker - The striped ground is a copied detail from other Marseilles examples. I can only say that I was moved to colour the strips light and dark unlike the examples which were a single colour. You could both be right.