Is Aleister Crowley an Evil Man?

Lillie

gregory said:
He wasn't a patch on Voldemort..... })

And ranzel - there is a button at the top of each page labelled search - and it will even access an "advanced search" link. You might find it useful. Almost everything like this is here somewhere.

Except Voldemort....

Well...
Not now!

Not now you have brought him into here....

Now if you search Voldemort this thread will come up...

ravenest

chriske said:
It is a terrible generalisation, but I think that seekers are beyond good and evil.

SEEKERS are beyond good and evil ??? That's a new one! :laugh:

chiske said:
What do you think drives a seeker?

As many reasons as there are types of people. Here are a few;

A realisation of not knowing what one needs to know.
A person who feels lost.
Curiosity.
Feeling outcast or unable to fit into a social set (so join a different type of exclusive group).
Social intercourse.
A quest for happiness, stability, fulfillment, elnlightenment, etc
Nothing good on TV on Tuesday nights (serious! We once asked people why they came to our group and someone gave this as the reason)

there a MANY more ...
chiske said:
I shall take my vision of AC exactly as it is. We can only enlighten ourselves.
Agreed, but others can help us to elighten ourselves ... as we should help others who ask (or seek). Thelema and AC's initiation systems absolutly require the self-help approach ... ans this is spelt out VERY clearly at step one and `throughout the course of the teachings, repeatedly.

ravenest

Lillie said:
Didn't Crowley write all Gardeners rituals for him?

Maybe they gimped for each other too.

Gardiner had a cigarette lighter engraved "With Love from Aliester".

Crowley got pissed that no one was turning up to Gnostic Mass.

"Yes, I agree Gerald, old chum, church IS boring ... and what, with the price of initiation nowdays ... what we really need is a simple, folk, peasant-based tradition consisting of 3 degrees, with a similar teachings ... dumbed down of course ... that would get bums on seats. We can add a flogging and a bit of bondage to spice it up a bit. You, Gerald old chum, can be the Grand Pooh-Bah."

"Who gets flogged, me or them?"

"Oh ... a bit of both I suppose."

[Sorry, that came 'out of the blue'. I thought I'd given up channeling.]

mac22

ravenest said:
[Sorry, that came 'out of the blue'. I thought I'd given up channeling.]

Uhh... was this convo on the material plane or the afterlife....O wise one?? :D

Mac22

ravenest

Hey mac! You are the only person ever to respond to a Crowley channeling be me (here on AT). You win the prize! - 12 free new-age channelling sessions.

I work on the mental plane ... these conversations just miraculously 'appear' in my imagination ... it's quiet amazing really!

Lleminawc

Lleminawc said:
He took tea at 3? That really is a nasty habit.
Huh, nobody got my Rolling Stones reference. Where are all the old rockers?

sacredashes

}) While on the topic of evil men... has anyone read this before?

Maybe Aleister wasn't the only one who did "evil" things. He was only human afterall.

Ash

Aeon418

sacredashes said:
Maybe Aleister wasn't the only one who did "evil" things. He was only human afterall.
One big difference.... Crowley never pretended to be whiter-than-white. He exposed all his faults.

People who cling to the myth of "perfect" gurus or spiritual masters need to grow up. Perfect gurus don't exist. Get over it. Crowley was honest about his failings, and for that he is branded "evil". Other gurus remain silent about their private lives in order to maintain their squeeky clean image. It makes the con trick a lot easier, you see. :laugh:

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. ;)

gregory

Uncle Al is one person from the past I would LOVE to meet. I find him fascinating - and no more evil than loads of people who are admired by others today.... })

Then again, I'm a bit strange.... ;)