Le Grand Tarot Universel

Barleywine

I had this on my wishlist for a while, but availability wasn't great (I would have had to get it from Montreal), so I bought the similarly bright Fournier and then the richly colored Hadar instead. Next will be the Spanish Tarot (also by Fournier), and then my first almost "authentic" TdM, the Flornoy Noblet.

Le Fanu

I have this and I love it. Does anyone ever really come out as a traditionalist? I often wonder who these traditionalists are who dislike anything except facsimilies. I'm not sure there are that many round here to be honest. Or maybe I'm one...

I like my decks facsimilie but can also love this one (and the ISIS). It has a lovely, cheerful vibe - not a million miles away from the Fournier but a bit more inventive. I got it in a trade never having heard of it but it really is charming and the images fill up the fabulous cardstock - very bold and bright. Definitely worth it as a reading deck, not just for collectors.

Richard

There used to be people who would don their purist, traditionalist personae when posting in this forum, but since the relaxation of the strict rules for the Tarot Special Interest discussions, they seem to have drifted away.

I'm not fond of facsimiles in general, but Yves' Pierre Madenié is a notable exception. Even the sloppy stencil coloring is somehow endearing. I love the deck, but I'm not exactly sure why.

Although I'm not exactly a traditionalist, I detest it when modernization goes so far that the cards are no longer recognizable as of the Marseille type. I'm ok with calling such a deck "Marseille inspired" or some such, but please don't call it a "Tarot de Marseille."