Feeling sorry for the Hermit

.traveller.

I was looking at all of the activity in this card, so different from the RWS clones. In this card I see all of the things distracting the Hermit from his search and invading his peace of mind.
The grain is crowding him, blocking his path.
The barking three-headed dog breaks the silence.
The lights in the upper part of the card read as search lights exposing his position.
His posture is turned away as if saying "Just leave me alone"
The spermatoza reads as responsibility to relationships demanding attention.
And just as he finds what he is looking for, in spite of all of the distractions, there is a d*mned snake wrapped around it.

Does anyone else read this card this way? Am I identifying too strongly and too much? :laugh:

Ventrue

i think you are reading it intuitively very well.. Then again, when reading intuitively anything you see is good, because it is what you see. all of that imagery is also very powerful iconology, especially the orphic egg. regardless, that is what i love about the thoth tarot, you can go into as much detail as you want and still have space left to go further.

Ven

Nevada

Well I hadn't before! You've given me a fresh insight into this card that I happen to need right now, since it's been coming up in my readings. Thank you, .traveller. I agree with Ventrue, very intuitive.

Nevada

.traveller.

You're welcome, Nevada!

I found that with the Thoth, reading intuitively was the most fruitful for me. The prescribed definitions never seem to fit the situation very well and forget about applying RWS definitions.

Another thing I noticed... see how tiny that version of Cerberus is? I see that as a way of saying that what we fear isn't all that scary after all. Reminds me of a teacup poodle or chihuahua, with three heads.

Parzival

Feeling Sorry For The Hermit

If he is to cultivate contemplation on the essentials (a typical take on the Hermit), he has to select from all the distractions around him, pick one thing and try to delve into it. Or flee to his own solitude and brood. I'm not sure just what he intends to do : find a point of focus, or flee.

minimonster777

I always thought that the RWS Hermit looked like he was alone because he wanted to be, and preferred it that way, but the Thoth Hermt looks as if he's been exiled or shunned...so I completely agree with your interpretations...

ravenest

I love being a hermit. But people are always coming around and disturbing me.

But there is all this rainforest regeneration I have to do and there sre other people that will help, guess I'll just have to 'put up' with them.
The poodle breeding farm across the river not only has barking dogs but horrible yapping little ones.

Then someone will tun up that I am interested in (relationship) but they might need all sorts of reassuring, or might want to bitch and I'd better help/listen or I'll end up with no friends at all.

The dead snake is a relief ... it can go straight in the compost.

But also I a'm a Chinese Goat (year of the Goat), so when the Hermit finally gets his way the the Goat says;"Where is everybody, I'm lonely."

Parzival

Feeling Sorry For The Hermit

minimonster777 said:
I always thought that the RWS Hermit looked like he was alone because he wanted to be, and preferred it that way, but the Thoth Hermt looks as if he's been exiled or shunned...so I completely agree with your interpretations...

He does seem to be "exiled or shunned " but I don't know why he's staring the World-Egg in the face, with Life (spermatozoon) and Death (Cerberus) down below. And just what is this crystalline light that he holds and spreads out all around?
Maybe he's like the magician Faust who seeks the secret of Creation.
Some would see him as fertilization, others as contemplation. Maybe he's fertile contemplation or contemplative fertilization (joke, or not)?
Maybe he's Thoth in the midst of the wheatfield of Life and Death, alone and enlightened.

.traveller.

Frank Hall said:
... but I don't know why he's staring the World-Egg in the face, with Life (spermatozoon) and Death (Cerberus) down below. And just what is this crystalline light that he holds and spreads out all around?
Maybe he's like the magician Faust who seeks the secret of Creation.
Some would see him as fertilization, others as contemplation. Maybe he's fertile contemplation or contemplative fertilization (joke, or not)?
Maybe he's Thoth in the midst of the wheatfield of Life and Death, alone and enlightened.

How many of us near our goal and yet hesitate at that moment before fulfillment? It's a moment of self questioning. The light of the Hermit always struck me as the light of human reason, however I find it intriguing that he holds it behind him. It is as if what he has found, defies human reason.

Edge

I really love the hermit, don't feel sorry for him though. The solitude and courage of the hermit is what is needed to obtain the innocence of the Fool. Cerberus is ever present and always nagging but the light of wisdom shines ever brighter giving him strength and encouragement.

Just a few of my thoughts and opinions for what it's worth. :)