Tracking Our Readings Thread

Grizabella

I've posted this thread as a result of a new member who posted that she tracks her readings by recording the daily cards she draws, writing them in her journal, and then at the end of the month, tallying which cards were repeating, which were absent, which combinations repeated, etc. I thought it would be interesting to start this thread where those who want to can sign on and start a monthly tally. Here's Deanne's thread describing this: Inspiration for this thread Anyway, here we go:

You can post your daily cards each day if you like by making one post and editing it as you pull your cards every day and then editing again to make a tally post at the end of the month.

Or, you can just make one weekly or monthly post tallying your cards. However you want to do it is fine. I suggest that you keep editing your original post, though, to keep the thread easier to keep track of and less hard to follow.

To see the results of the other participant's tracking, I'm making links you can click on next to each person's name. Just click the underlined words after their name. :)

Anyone who would like to do this is very welcome to do it and you can start any time. We don't all need to start on the same day. I'll keep this post open as an index and will post links to each person's original tally post on the thread so we can all easily look up our own or other's tally posts if there's going to be discussion going on as well.

To see the results of the other participant's tracking, I'm making links you can click on next to each person's name. Just click the underlined words after their name. :)

Tally posts:

1.Grizabella Grizabella's tracking post

2. JackofWands Jack's tracking post

3. Deanne tracking post

Alta

Daily Draws and Group Readings is the section where members may keep these private 'journal-like' threads. As the title says, group threads such as you propose are fine.

JackofWands

One card per day, starting on February 10th, 2015:

Death rx
Three of Cups rx
Four of Swords rx
Three of Wands
Four of Wands rx
Three of Wands rx
Queen of Swords
Eight of Swords rx
Devil
Star
Wheel of Fortune rx
Hermit
Three of Pentacles
Eight of Swords rx
Ten of Swords
Seven of Cups
Five of Pentacles
Two of Swords
Knight of Pentacles
Three of Wands rx

At the end of the month, I'll perform a basic chi-square test on various variables (suits, numbers, etc.) to see if there are any statistically significant anomalies.

(Note 2/15/15: Goodness gracious, are there a lot of reversals in here.)

(Note 2/20/15: I will be out of town without access to a computer until March 1st, but will continue with the daily draws and will make note of them so that I can post them on here when I return.)

Grizabella

No, I think it will be here in Talking Tarot. I put it in Using Tarot Cards and Rodney moved the thread over here, so this is where we'll be doing it since it's a group effort.

Grizabella

This will be my post for tracking.

As I've said before, I don't really do daily draws or daily readings on myself. But I do lay out 7 cards just to see what they are. Today I was struck with the fact that 2's were a factor and my personality and soul cards are also 2 in the High Priestess. There are also some 6's that I thought were interesting.

These are the cards for 2/10/15
Wickwillow deck

Cards drawn:

Lovers
6 of Swords
King of Pentacles
7 of Swords
Devil
6 of Cups
Page of Pentacles

Twos:

2 Majors
2 Swords
2 Pentacles
2 Court cards
And there were 2 reversed cards. I didn't make note which they were at the time. I just turned them upright.

Sixes:

Lovers
6 of Swords
6 of Cups
Devil, if reduced down is 1+5=6

Now, I don't know anything about numerology but another thing I noticed is that if reduced down after adding the sixes cards it = 24 which reduces down to 6 again.

Deanne

I'm in, of course. Thanks for setting this up Grizabella!

Feb 5 - Mar 4 (I'm doing this the 5th of each month, as I first started my journal on a 4th)
Things I found interesting this time around:

-I had 34 Majors this time. Last month I had 31 (and last month I drew 84 cards total, this month only 75, so a higher percentage of Majors were drawn).

-I drew 13 Swords and 13 Pentacles. I only drew 8 Wands and 7 Cups. Nearly twice as many Swords and Pents as Cups this time around! I'm usually very much a 'cups' sort of person so this is odd (last month I drew 16 Cups cards, that seems more typical). I have been very focused on work and most of these Pents were drawn over the past 2 weeks, so that makes sense but it's definitely unusual for me.

-There were 3 cards that appeared 4 times each: The Sun, the Knight of Swords, and the 4 of Pents.
The Sun is surprising - I did not get this card at all last month and have never really identified with it.
Knight of Swords makes a lot of sense in hindsight. I tend to do a lot of planning but then never actually put things into action. This past month I actually did start things - I didn't necessarily finish them, but lots of movement here!
I need to reflect on the 4 of Pents. I've been focusing on budgeting and saving my money, but has this been at the expense of other areas? Perhaps too much so?

-There were of course many cards that didn't appear at all. 3 things stand out to me:
The Moon did not appear. For the second month in a row. This is the card I have always felt closest to. I found this odd last month and even stranger now!
The 9 of Wands didn't show up. Last month I drew it 4 times! I guess I successfully dealt with its message?
I did not receive anything between the 2 and 8 of Cups (I only received Ace, 9, and a few courts in this suit). Also, the 6 of Cups is what I got the most of last month so its absence is particularly unusual.

JackofWands

This collective project seems to have died, but I kept up with the daily draws through the end of February, so I might as well do the promised statistical analysis and post it here. Before I do so, however, a brief caveat--the sample size here is much too small for any kind of conclusive, rigorous analysis. This wouldn't stand up in a court of law (or in a math classroom) and I've had to multiply the rates of occurrence (expected and observed) in all of my categories by 10 just to get values large enough for a chi-square analysis to work. Take everything here with a grain of salt.

First, I looked at the distribution of the suits. In a perfectly even distribution, there would have been 3-4 each of the Minors and 6 of the Major Arcana. The actual distribution was:

Pentacles - 3
Swords - 6
Cups - 2
Wands - 4
Major Arcana - 5

This is all more or less in line with what would be expected, and the deviations are small enough as to be statistically insignificant. The eye-catching suit here is the Swords, with double the expected number of cards pulled. If we commit a mathematical sin and increase our sample size by an order of magnitude (a chi-square test can't be performed when the expected number of observations is less than five), the chi-square value for the suit of Swords comes out at a whoping 16.18; with four degrees of freedom, this deviation from the expected value is statistically significant, and there's less than a 0.5% chance that the deviation was caused by chance alone.

(However, we'd do well to remember that we're not crunching the real numbers here. It's interesting to remark upon the overbearing presence of the Swords, but no real conclusions can be drawn from my shoddy math.)

This month was definitely a Swordsy one for me, so just from an interpretation standpoint the predominance of Swords makes perfect sense. The same goes for the recurrence of the reversed Eight of Swords, which, while not rare enough to be statistically significant, strikes a chord with me in terms of the card's symbolic meaning.

I next looked at the distribution of reversals. Out of 20 cards, 9 were upright and 11 were reversed. Nothing extraordinary there.

Finally (unless someone would like to suggest another variable to examine), I looked at the presence of the Courts. The Court cards make up a good 20% of the deck, so we should have expected to see about 4 over the course of 20 days. However, we only saw one. Committing the same grievous mathematical sin and multiplying everything by 10, we would come out with a chi-square value of 23.4 for the distribution of the Courts. With one degree of freedom (Courts versus not-Courts), this would be as significant as the flush of Swords; there would be less than a 0.5% chance that the lack of Court cards was caused by chance alone. (But once again, remember that what I'm doing here isn't real math, and that with such a small sample size, that the chances of something like this happening are much greater.)

In line with the Swords this month, I definitely did a lot of introspection. This was a month of me looking inwards rather than interacting with other people, and of dealing step-by-step with very simple, straightforward matters that don't merit the complexity of the Courts. So once again, it's easy for me to interpret the distribution and see how it could be symbolically significant in my life right now.

This was a fun project, and I'd actually like to continue it in the Daily Draws subforum over a longer period of time, for my personal use. Thanks, Grizabella, for setting this up!

ETA: Five Threes is also interesting; we should have expected at most one.

VGimlet

I did this once for a year and found the results really interesting.

Just waving at the group though, not joining. Cool idea for a thread Grizabella!

Deanne

New Thread

So, this seems to have died, but I'm still definitely interested in continuing it.

I've started my own thread over in Daily Draws http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=4263125&posted=1#post4263125

If anyone has any comments on my tallys they're more than welcome to reply in there. And if anyone wants to start up their own thread, please do! I'd love to see what approaches other people take, and what sort of results they get :)