for those of you with backup copies

SunChariot

For those of you with backup copies of the same deck/same edition of the same deck, do you find that these "identical" decks perform the same as each other for you, or do they have differing personalities? I hope this isn't too mad of a question, but I'm hoping that tarot people understand these things. :)

When I started out in Tarot, I had two copies of my deck: one that I took with my everywhere in my purse, to study and meditate with... and the other just for readings. It was like one was a learning deck and the other was a reading deck. I found that as each was dedicated to a different purpose, they had different feels to them. Althuogh I never read wth the learning deck, I imagine that how a deck feels affects how it reads.

The only other time I had a duplicate deck was one that was OOP. But I did not use it. I was saving it as a replacement in case my first got damaged or worn out one day. I did end up trading it away one day as someone else on AT wanted it badly. But if I ever see it again I may well get another copy. I think its a phenomenal deck. And that would be the A King's Journey Tarot.

Babs

Disa

They read the same for me. Whether they are trimmed, regular, diff edition. The same deck reprinted reads the same for me.

I think each deck has a vibe such as Druidcraft has a diff vibe to me than the Buckland Romani which has a diff vibe than Victorian Romantic- reprints of the same decks keep their same vibe and that's what I like :)

Barleywine

The only deck I have more than one of is the Thoth: 2 large-format Weiser editions from around 1970 and one of the "three Magus" U.S. Games decks from 1983. One of the large decks is well-used, it's faded and worn a bit with a couple of taped-over dog-earred corners. The other large one is fairly pristine, with no noticable wear. The standard-size deck is the one I read with now since it's easier to shuffle and the colors are a more accurate representation of the original paintings (or so U.S. Games says). All of the decks have always read the same for me, but of course I've changed over the decades :)

Barleywine

The only other time I had a duplicate deck was one that was OOP. But I did not use it. I was saving it as a replacement in case my first got damaged or worn out one day. I did end up trading it away one day as someone else on AT wanted it badly. But if I ever see it again I may well get another copy. I think its a phenomenal deck. And that would be the A King's Journey Tarot.

Is this the same one? If so, it's available again (or will be soon).

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=231534&highlight=KIng's+Journey

SunChariot

Is this the same one? If so, it's available again (or will be soon).

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=231534&highlight=KIng's+Journey

Yep, that's the one. It's really one of my favourite decks of all time. I adore it.

Mine of course, has no borders. At times, often enough, I have a hard time trying to figure out which card is which and have to look them up in the book after they are chosen, but I STILL adore the deck. It's just amazing. Also works great in past life readings, because of the type of imagery.

Babs

MaryHeather

I've taken the plunge in buying a backup deck, for the first time. I bought 2 copies of The Incidental Tarot.

http://www.theincidentaltarot.com

I picked up one of the "seconds" with an eye to trimming it, and a backup, if I botch the trimming job. If I don't like the trim job, I will probably trade it. If I do like the trimmed deck, I will hang on to the second for either sale or trade in the future.