I'm going professional and need some advice

Clockwork Ghost

Hi all,

After twenty years of giving free readings to all and sundry, I've decided to go pro. I've set up my company and registered it with the New Zealand government, and everything is pretty much ready to go. I'm hoping to pick the brains of other professional tarot card readers though so that I can (hopefully) make this a success. So...

1. How do I develop a strong client base who will keep coming back for more? I have a Facebook page, and send out a free weekly newsletter - what should I do to get people paying me fo readings?

2. Im selling a single card draw, three card draw, and a full Celtic Cross reading - is there a sensible price to set each of these readings at?

3. Is there anything specific I should consider? Any key points that I should keep in mind when working as a pro? This isn't going to be my full time job - should I set parameters around the maximum number of readings I do in a day?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for all your advice :)

DownUnderNZer

WOM ... is the way to build a client base, but not sure if you are doing it face to face or just online. Get genuine testimonials perhaps.

Not a Pro though. :D

Good luck! :)

Clockwork Ghost

WOM ... is the way to build a client base, but not sure if you are doing it face to face or just online. Get genuine testimonials perhaps.

Not a Pro though. :D

Good luck! :)

Thank you. Doing it all online - most of my customer base is in the US. My site has two testimonials, but that is excellent advice - I'll collect all I get and rotate them on the site.

Word of mouth is definitely the most effective way, advertising on Facebook is ridiculously expensive!

Grizabella

If you have 20 years worth of giving free readings to all and sundry, I think is how you put it, you may encounter a thundering silence when you put out the word that now folks need to pay. That might be a hurdle you'll have to get over. Hopefully not, though, or hopefully your free reading customers will be gracious and understanding, at least, and be loyal to you.

I made a website and I have a Facebook group devoted to the study of hard-to-read decks so that's my method of going into business for myself at this point. I have all the time I want to do readings now that there aren't any kids at home and I live alone. I'm going to move to Washington in a few weeks, so online methods will work best for me for awhile. Once I'm settled up there, I might start face-to-face readings again.

happyfish

Hi all,

After twenty years of giving free readings to all and sundry, I've decided to go pro. I've set up my company and registered it with the New Zealand government, and everything is pretty much ready to go. I'm hoping to pick the brains of other professional tarot card readers though so that I can (hopefully) make this a success. So...

Congratulations on your new business! I think the fact that you've registered it and everything is great because it will help you take it seriously and get into a 'professional' mindset. Good for you.

1. How do I develop a strong client base who will keep coming back for more? I have a Facebook page, and send out a free weekly newsletter - what should I do to get people paying me fo readings?

It kind of goes without saying, but treat your clients like gold! Be as nice and appreciative and wonderful to them as you can. This alone will keep them coming back for more. You might want to consider having some type of client appreciation program. I have a little loyalty program where clients earn 'points' on every reading they purchase, and they eventually get a free reading.

This might also go without saying, but think about asking your current clients to recommend you to their friends, especially if they rave to you about your services. As someone else pointed out, word of mouth is still super powerful.

2. Im selling a single card draw, three card draw, and a full Celtic Cross reading - is there a sensible price to set each of these readings at?

I've tweaked my prices a few times and will continue to do so (I've only been 'professional' for a year). I think it makes sense to look at what other readers are charging and stay in that ballpark. You don't want to under or over charge.

3. Is there anything specific I should consider? Any key points that I should keep in mind when working as a pro? This isn't going to be my full time job - should I set parameters around the maximum number of readings I do in a day?

Oh goodness. Just know that it will be a wild ride and you'll always be learning as you go. The best thing, for me, about having your own business is that you get to experiment, change, try, fail, try again, and make up the rules as you go along! Have fun and good luck!

Clockwork Ghost

Thanks for all your help and advice - it is very much appreciated :)

Clockwork Ghost

Another question, if I may. How much should I charge? I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm undercharging to a massive degree, but I don't want to set prices that are simply way out of the ball park. I'm charging in New Zealand Dollars, doing a single draw for $5, a three card spread for $10, and a full Celtic Cross for $25. I've done a bit of research into prices, but there seems to be no benchmark whatsoever. How do I make sure that I have a price that fits my time, but isn't going to drive customers away?

magpie9

Call around, ask around and see what the local price range is. Then firmly plant yourself in the middle. Also, get your name out there any way you can. Do charity events and fairs every chance you get, even if they cost you money and don't bring in a dime. It's not really about repeat customers you might get...those are few and far between. Its about getting your name out there as a Known professional reader. If you can get a regular gig in a bookstore,or cafe great. Treat it as a business, and treat your customers extremely well in ways they can appreciate.give them good perks for refferels and repeat business. Run sales and specials. if you can stand doing Facebook etc type marketing.do it.
Learn to close. Sales is sales. Somebody wants a reading? Nail down exactly when, and make it as soon as possible. Give them 2 choices per day, no more...look busy from the beginning,long before you actually are busy. Get distinctive well made high quality business cards and spread them out everywhere you can.
And don't worry about how many readings a day is too many. You have a lot of time to discover that, and like anything else, it's about the process of building muscle .... meanwhile, take every reading you can get.
Good luck, and God bless..

Clockwork Ghost

Fantastic! Thank you very much for your advice. :)

Ace

What ever price you set, be consistent. And expect some will say you are "too expensive". Start where you are and raise it as you feel but NEVER (EVER!) lower it again. So do it carefully. Be professional. Never cancel one thing for something better.

You asked about limiting the number of readings in a day. You will see how you handle it. If you find you can't do much after doing 1 hours worth, then that is your limit, if you can go 12 hours worth, well then you know. But don't push yourself, it can be very bad for your health. So listen to your body.

barb