Significators

tiger lily

In most spreads I don´t, because there is almost always a position in the spread that is "you right now" or something like that, so it´s not necessary.

I use a sig in the Celtic Cross when I feel like it :)

I always use a sig in my BIG layout which uses all 78 cards, mainly because I can lay out the remaining 77 cards in 7 lines of 11... more an aesthetic reason than anything else.

mystic

Such varied answers here!! I can always depend on that.

For me....I will always use a sig. for Celtic Cross spreads. A spread would not be complete without it. The seeker chooses their own card. I can pinpoint about 5 cards and the seeker then uses their internal instincts to make the choice. This adds a layer of depth to the layout that would otherwise not have been their. And all the cards HAVE been used in the spread, as the seeker has chosen a very important part of this spread.....one that represents himself, and one that will influence the cards becuase they have taken that card OUT of the spread......

Well, I've said enough.........

catlin

Hi,

I sometimes use a significator but usually not in the opening reading for the querent.

mahea

No, never. The first card up signifies the situation in a nutshell. I figure you and cards ought to know who you're reading for.

Major Tom

The only time I use a significator is when I'm casting a spell...

tarotbear

Major Tom (07 Nov, 2001 18:52):
The only time I use a significator is when I'm casting a spell...

Sounds like you use Janina Rene's "Tarot Spells"!

}> }> }>

fairyhedgehog

Jane (13 Oct, 2001 13:51):
When doing the Opening of the Key, a significator is picked, but left in the deck. That's how you know which pile of cards to read and where to start the count from.

Jane

I haven't heard of 'the Opening of the Key', it sounds intriguing. Could you explain it to me?

Regards,

FH

srgnosis

Significator

I haven't found the need to use one. I know lots of spreads recommend them, but I can't choose. Personalities are so complex, that it's hard to just focus on one area.

Netzach

Before I started to use tarot, I learned to do name readings - literally looking at someone's name and allowing your intuition to take over. Once I discovered tarot, it seemed appropriate to combine the two so I never use a sig. but, instead, take a piece of paper the same size as the cards and write the querant's name in block capitals on it and use that in the same way as I would a sig.

Alta

That's interesting, and completely new to me.

I always wonder about name readings, meanings etc, because the parents pick the name, based on personal preferencesm family pressures etc etc. Sometimes I think it has little to do with the child. Clearly as you have had success, I am willing to concede there is value in it.

Since my original answer, I have stopped using significators, either picked or from the deck. The only place I have ever seen them as an integral part of the spread is the GD Opening of the Key spread, where it is essential to have one.

They are an important part of the Lenormand oracle type too.