Luman,anyone?

firefrost

Mine says printed in 2004. ISBN 0-9765226-0-8

If that helps

pippi

Where are you checking for the edition? My booklet says copyright 2004.

Marion...when and where did you get your deck? I really want cards that match the site! The red is far from "really red! Deep, impressive red." (as yours are)!!

I'm going to head to the site and see if I can find an email to inquire about it, thanks firefrost!

Alta

It doesn't give a printing number. The copyright is 2001 - 2004 but that's it. I suppose all the ISBN's are the same.

pippi

So it looks like the ones printed in 2004 and later are the more muted ones...?

Why on earth wouldn't they update the site to reflect how the cards look when you buy them now? I feel like it's a strong misrepresentation, because I would never have bought this deck if I knew the coloring would be this different. The whole reason I was attracted to the deck was for the vibrant colors, as depicted in the online scans.

I sent an email through the website...but as I purchased the deck on ebay, there's not much that I can expect. Still, I think it should be brought to their attention that it isn't fair to consumers that the scans are so different from the true coloring, seeing as how a major component of the deck's purpose is the use of COLOR!!

Okay...I have to go b.r.e.a.t.h.e........

pippi

Well, I received a very lengthy and defensive email from Mindy. The email started out with her saying that she doesn't usually respond to people who have bought decks through third parties (ebay). Huh? She won't even usually respond? Guess I got lucky.

She went into great detail about how costly the first edition was to print in the US, and how now they use different card stock and colors, and it is now printed in China. This I understand and obviously have no problem with. I wasn't looking for a justification on why there were two versions...but wanted to know why the version that is now selling wasn't matched up with the scans online. To this, she only offered that every computer monitor displays colors differently. Which doesn't make sense, as the scans clearly portray the exact coloring of the original deck, and they just haven't updated the site. Since 2004? But she ignored that fact, instead blaming it on the differences in people's monitors.

She also said that if I had owned the first edition printed in the US, my note would have been more understandable, as I would have had a jumping off point for comparison. But I obviously DO have a valid comparison, as the scans online ARE the first version. This really irked me.

The condescending feel of the letter she sent me has made me now, more than ever, sorry that I purchased this deck. I don't doubt that she is probably a very nice person normally, but I suppose my email expressing my disappointment in the images not being properly represented must have offended her. But I felt compelled to ask her why the images were misrepresented, because I truly LOVED the images online, and I felt let down after being so excited to receive the deck. I hadn't expected to be responded to in such a condescending manner.

Now that this brand new deck is infused with so much negative energy, it's going to have to be put away, out of sight, until I can get over the negativity.

I'm usually such a happy-go-lucky gal, and it's rare that I let things bother me, but I really don't like to feel disrespected or scammed, and I feel both right now.

firefrost

Oh, God, pippi, I'm so sorry - I can't believe she was like that with you.

It sounds like she's miffed because you didn't buy new from her, but as you say, no matter how or where you bought, the deck isn't the same or as bright as the one on her webpage.

This isn't right.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone blaming monitors before. In effect, is she saying that all our monitors are seeing the deck too brightly?

So where does Marion's deck come into it, that's exactly the same colouring as the webpage?

I'm sorry you've had this awful experience. I love my deck, muted colours and all, but I can understand your not being able to use it now.

It's such a shame - all she had to do was tell you what version you had and which one you needed.

I'm lost for words.

I hope you manage to get something sorted, and it doesn't put you off for life.

((((pippi)))) xx

pippi

Thank you firefrost...I really needed that hug!

I emailed her back, expressing how I was surprised at her condescending tone. I apologized for offending her, if that was the case. I told her I understood the need for a second version, and that I had a great deal of respect for self-publishers and for the work she has done. I again said that my only issue was that the scans of the old version were represented on the site, and that this was misrepresentation and unfair to those purchasing the new version, with only the scans online to go by.

I told her that I was certain her deck has done wonders for others, and that she can be proud of her artwork and publishing accomplishments. I added that I truly hoped she would consider updating the scans of the cards she has featured on her website, so that others won't be misguided when purchasing the deck, expecting something other than they will receive. I said that in all fairness, I didn't think that it was too much to ask, and in fact I think it should go without saying.

She answered, again completely ignoring the misrepresentation of the scans online, saying simply: "You must find often condescension where it does not exist, because my response was warm, honest and heartfelt. Candidly, after being accused of "scamming" you, I nonetheless still took time out of my busy day to respond. No good deed goes unpunished." That was all she said.

While my blood was boiling at this point, I tried to muster up all the positivity in me, and replied that in fact I do not often feel this way...and that I was glad to say I couldn't remember the last time I felt talked down to like this. I told her I was baffled with her "no good deed goes unpunished" comment, which I felt was an unnecessary added jab of negativity. I told her I was trying to find the good in the chain of communication, and I was truly hoping that there was a misunderstanding in the tone of our correspondence to each other. I apologized (again!) for having offended her, as it was never my intent. And I apologized for misunderstanding her tone as well.

I cannot understand why she is so hell bent on avoiding the only issue I had. Is is so hard to say, "Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention, we will update our scans to represent the true colors of the deck."???

As for being upset for not purchasing from her, I can't say if that is true or not, but yes, that's how it sounded as she started out her first email to me. However, I bought the deck new, shrink wrapped. It's not like the deck was stolen from her. She sells the decks wholesale, and I bought one of those decks, so she received money for the deck I have. And yes, firefrost, you're right...none of this has anything to do with the issue at hand.

firefrost said:
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone blaming monitors before. In effect, is she saying that all our monitors are seeing the deck too brightly?

So where does Marion's deck come into it, that's exactly the same colouring as the webpage?

Yes, that was her defense, which was deliberately false, as Marion's deck (and others I've heard from here on the forums) match the webpage exactly. I have the deck, and what's done is done. What I'm bothered about now, is that she is completely ignoring my plea to update the site for others. I just don't think this is right. And it's something easy to fix.

In my last two emails to her, I apologized both times, on the chance that I was misunderstanding her. Despite feeling disrespected, I allowed for the smallest chance that I just didn't "get" her tone. However, no such understanding has come from her. I am done apologizing for standing up for what I believe is right in this situation. I remain baffled at the approach she has taken with customer service. Especially considering that her deck is supposed to promote healing... :confused:

pippi

Oh, and I also mentioned to her (in my first email) that my Loss card came chipped and bent in the corner.

Hmmm, wonder what my chances are of getting a replacement card? :rolleyes: :laugh:

On the bright side...yes, I can usually find a bright side...now when I look at the Anger card, it truly *will* invoke anger, as it will be a reminder of this whole upsetting ordeal. :)

firefrost

If I'd got the money, I'd email her with an order for the bright deck and see what happened.

How rude she is with no reason to be so.

I must admit, someone narked me once when I asked for a replacement card. The creator said I'd have to buy the deck again, then I got my card via their publisher. It put me off the deck and creator completely and I sold it.

It's such a shame that some creators get too big for their boots and won't take constructive critisism.

She's shocked me. At least I'll know in future to warn people about her.

xxx

pippi

You can't order the bright ones anymore. She only sells the new ones. That's why I'm all up in arms about the scans! It just doesn't make sense to me!

I was going to post a warning to others on my blog, but I don't feel inspired to give any more attention to her deck right now, KWIM?