lesbian deck

Sophie

The Hanged Man said:
These are among the most awful Tarots I've ever layed eyes on, and I hate them more for the fact that I would be presumed to be into them just because I'm for the greater part, homosexual in my sexual proclivities. These decks make me cringe!!!!!!
I'm a heterosexual woman, a feminist, and I love the Gay Tarot. I find it very human - that is, close to the preoccupations of all people, whatever gender, sexual orientation, colour or culture. It's very rare in that way. That universality means that as a woman, I don't feel left out, and I also feel like I have been given a window into the Western gay man's world (not all of it, I realise, but something - of course I don't have the experience of it, no matter how many gay friend I have) - though I can see why it would also appeal to some gay men specifically for its gay theme. Not being a lesbian, I don't know how it appeals to lesbian women. I can see the appeal of the Cosmic Tarot for all. Same thing with the World Spirit - where, for instance, the Lovers card is very versatile - whereas I see a brown man and a white woman, others might see two men, two women, two white people - one tanned, one pale, etc. etc.

I think the Motherpeace can be assimilated to a lesbian deck, although its intent is more radical feminist. But I don't own it, so I won't be categorical about that. I'd be interested to find out from lesbian tarot readers who know that deck what they think of the Motherpeace. My lesbian friends who read tarot tend not to choose decks according to their sexual orientation - and don't feel the need for a "lesbian tarot deck. I would hope, if one came out, that it would have as universal an appeal as the Gay Tarot.

babyJo

The Hanged Man said:
As for a lesbian Tarot addressing lesbians issues better - I'm not sure about that.

Sorry, if my post offends anyone. Please excuse my poor english!!!

What I mean is that... I have the gay tarot and my best friends love it for his reading. He said this deck gives him a more fitting answer to his relationship issue than any other deck.

~Jo

weaver

There is the feminist, multicultural Daughters of the Moon Tarot which provides the user the choice of two Lovers cards. One shows two women, the other features a man and a woman.

Also, the Wise Woman's Tarot is a matriarchal, multicultural Tarot that, while not lesbian per se, does feature only women on the Lovers card and certainly might be considered lesbian friendly.

Both of these decks along with the Motherpeace deck (already mentioned here) are very nice decks and, I think, should be comfortable for woman of most persuasions to use.

weaver

mabthescorpio

Thank you for your thoughts on this, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my post. I realize that you can't lump lesbians (or anyone of any sexuality, for that matter) into some generalized category, and I would hope if a lesbian deck ever was created, that it wouldn't be based on stereotypes.

I definitely like the Cosmic Tribe tarot, and those Lovers cards are gorgeous! *adds it to the wishlist* I wish there were more decks like that. I'll check out some of those more female-oriented decks too.

BrightEye

the LS tarot art nouveau has a lot of cards that show women in poses that suggest intimacy. that's why it appeals to me, although i hardly ever read with it. it's not a good reading deck for me but i like the pictures. it's very feminine and flowery but not feminist. there are scans on the deck list here at AT.

MeeWah

((((((mabthescorpio)))))) Your query strikes more as an honest query for information than anything else.

I recommend the Cosmic Tribe for not only its inclusion of 3 Lovers cards, but for its striking & vibrant imagery. One of my personal favourites for a broad clientele, though I use other decks such as the Pagan-themed regardless of sexual or spiritual orientation.

Also the World Spirit for similar reasons as the Cosmic Tribe though the World Spirit contains only one Lovers card. That card a bit ambiguous & therefore flexible, but the deck's imagery in general suitable for the diverse querents.

Any of the matriarchal decks such as Motherpeace, Goddess by Kris Waldherr, or Wise Woman's Tarot.

As for the Gay Tarot--I am heterosexual & despite its theme, find it to be user-friendly for its modern imagery. & also inadvertently discovered it lends itself to the single male parenting issues--I used it on the spur of the moment because it was at hand rather than choosing another.

My clients do not seem to care what deck used, but more about what a reading has to say.

tarotbear

Although the Cosmic Tribe has three lovers cards - one hetero, one male/male and one female/female - all that is is one card out of 78 - hardly what I call a gay-themed or gay-friendly deck.

Although I have disagreed with some of Lee's cards in the Gay Tarot - see the thread on the deck - he and the artist worked long to make a 'gay male' deck. Merely substituting one gay Lovers card into a hetero deck does not make a gay deck.

I think the original post is quite valid, though - is there a lesbian-specific deck? And I think there should be one!

As a gay man I will make a blanket statement others will find obnoxious ... but the reason you don't see any lesbian decks out there is because although most gay men can be pretty flamboyant without being flaming queens - most lesbians just blend into the crowd.

That's why they need their own deck! :)

And for those of you who can't differentiate between a feminist and a lesbian ... get a real life! LOL!

Vetch

:) I'm straight but coming from a feminist background. i actually thought tarot was very much a lesbian thing. :)

Motherpeace and Daughters of the Moon have been mentioned; then there's Carol Bridge's tarot, which is not strictly lesbian, but very feministic in a tender, sensible, beautiful way.

I also want to recommend Jean Freer's book "Towards a reclaimed Tarot". She is lesbian; and I've learned most from her. (I don't agree on her interpretations of the Emperor and the kings, but so what).

I think there's also an interesting deck by Barbara G.Walker.

sharpchick

Helvetica said:
I'm a heterosexual woman, a feminist, and I love the Gay Tarot. I find it very human - that is, close to the preoccupations of all people, whatever gender, sexual orientation, colour or culture. It's very rare in that way. That universality means that as a woman, I don't feel left out, and I also feel like I have been given a window into the Western gay man's world (not all of it, I realise, but something - of course I don't have the experience of it, no matter how many gay friend I have) - though I can see why it would also appeal to some gay men specifically for its gay theme. Not being a lesbian, I don't know how it appeals to lesbian women. I can see the appeal of the Cosmic Tarot for all. Same thing with the World Spirit - where, for instance, the Lovers card is very versatile - whereas I see a brown man and a white woman, others might see two men, two women, two white people - one tanned, one pale, etc. etc.

I think the Motherpeace can be assimilated to a lesbian deck, although its intent is more radical feminist. But I don't own it, so I won't be categorical about that. I'd be interested to find out from lesbian tarot readers who know that deck what they think of the Motherpeace. My lesbian friends who read tarot tend not to choose decks according to their sexual orientation - and don't feel the need for a "lesbian tarot deck. I would hope, if one came out, that it would have as universal an appeal as the Gay Tarot.

Ditto, Helvetica.

I think anyone who has ever felt the sting of being different - whether it's in looks, choice of career, parental expectations or sexual orientation or any of the other myriad ways that can cause a person to be singled out for "special" treatment at the hands or in the minds of others - will be able to identify strongly with the Gay Tarot.