lesbian deck

jackdaw*

Interesting. Have you ever had more than one Lovers card come up in a reading? How would you address that?

the_surfacer

Oh, that's a good way to deal with it. Not something I'm ever going to have to worry about, since the Cosmic Tribe and I don't get on at all, but I like your way of handling it.

Dwaas

QueenofPentacles said:
Interesting. Have you ever had more than one Lovers card come up in a reading? How would you address that?

That never happened so far. Very interesting question. I think when that happens the cards will fall on the "right place" so to say and will speak their meanings for that moment in that position for that querent. I would not like to have more lover cards for any other deck I have, but for the Cosmic Tribe it feels perfect as it is with all of them involved.

mabthescorpio

I like that idea. I got a Thoth deck with three versions of the Magus card in it, and I leave them all in, because I feel each one shows a different side of the Magus. I think when I get the Cosmic Tribe, I'll do the same. And I agree with what was said on that other thread, the Lovers doesn't ALWAYS have to be a sexual or romantic relationship. I feel the same, if not more so, for the 2 of cups. Love isn't just romantic, after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And a side, off-topic note that came up when I was reading the thread Dwaas posted...lol, does the male on the Morgan-Greer Lovers look like Jesus to anyone else? :p

shaveling

I've tried to let go of this thread. But I can't stop the feeling. I'm yearning, pining, aching for an all majors deck drawn by Alison Bechdel, the creator of Dykes To Watch Out For. Ms. B., are you reading this?

rainwolf

QueenofPentacles said:
Also, the Lovers card on the World Spirit appears to be two women.
That card always stumped me. I think you can make it every way--it can look like two masculine men, two femenine guys, or a guy and a girl. I think the point was to look slightly androgenous, with one character being a little more extreme in the opposite way than the other, to make it fit each interpretation. That would make sense for that deck.

Shade

The first thing that came to mind was the Daughters of the Moon deck but then I realized, as Nightwing did, that "womyny" isn't really a substitute for the lesbian experience. I recall seeing the first episode of "The L Word" in a room full of lesbians; after it had finished the biggest criticism was that not one single character had hair above shoulder length.

Lesbians who are opposed to femme/butch dichotomy will probably be happy with the Daughters of the Moon, Motherpeace, Shining Tribe (or the original Shining Woman). Lesbians who identify more with a deck that has a wider range of gender expresion will want a new deck.

gregory

tarotbear said:
What makes a deck a 'lesbian' deck? I mean that seriously. There are many feminists who are not lesbians, so there would have to be a difference.
Not to be overly simplistic, but - the same as makes a deck a "gay" deck, IMHO. There are many men - of all types, including the male equivalents of feminists - who aren't gay, too !

The Hanged Man

Lee said:
But, Hanged Man, I strongly suspect from your comments in another thread that you have not actually laid eyes on these decks. Could you please clarify for us whether you've actually seen all 78 cards of each deck, or whether you've only seen two or three card scans on the internet?

If you only saw scans, and decided from those scans that the decks weren't for you, that's fine. But before making such sweeping statements about the decks, I think it would be more fair to the creators of those decks (including me) if you would state up front that you haven't actually examined the decks themselves, but are instead forming your judgments after only seeing a small fraction of the decks.

-- Lee

Hi Lee,

A friend of my partner's did show me the Gay Tarot, and he likes it very much. I had a look through the cards, but as soon as I heard the title, I knew it wasn't for me. I haven't closely examined the cards, but I'll point out that it is not the artwork that I dislike on the Gay Tarot - it's just the theme. I just don't think it's Tarot's job to do politics, but who cares? It's only another person's opinion.

I realise that some of my comments may have been taken to be referring to the artwork - not at all - so my apologies if you thought that. It's just the theme I don't like.