Decks for Children?

Ipseity

What do you think is the best deck for wee ones? When I was younger I was very much into Rider-Waite-Smith, but I've been looking through the Children page on Aeclectic at the various ones listed, and I only own one of them - Manga Tarot, and I don't see kids getting too into that because it doesn't have illustrated pips. I used to own Tarot Nova and found it pretty hard to read with. When I was a kid, I wanted beauty in a Tarot deck, but I also wanted to be able to read with it. I was thinking that RWS-based decks would probably be best because so many books feature them. Does anyone here know a younger reader? What do they read with? If you were a younger reader yourself at one point, what worked for you?

La Force

I started my grandson at the age of 2 yrs old, with Lisa Hunts Fairy Tale. I would give him the card to look at as I read him the story out of the companion book at bedtime. what nice is that you can pick and choose the stories and card that is age appropriate.

This deck is RWS and borderless

Ipseity

I started my grandson at the age of 2 yrs old, with Lisa Hunts Fairy Tale. I would give him the card to look at as I read him the story out of the companion book at bedtime. what nice is that you can pick and choose the stories and card that is age appropriate.

Wow, that's so awesome and FUN.

La Force

yes it was fun, My grandson would make little red riding hood visite the three little pigs bringing the wolf to blow down their houses.

IMO a very good deck to start with for children, with imaginations.

Aeric

I'll probably give Tarot of a Moon Garden to my niece. It's perfect for a small child, especially a girl.

LotusSong

Hm, maybe the Inner Child Cards? They're super oversized though and would be very hard for little hands to shuffle. I could see a child greatly enjoying the Joie de Virve Tarot.

Sulis

My daughter, who's now 14 has been playing with tarot cards for most of her life... She doesn't really read them but she likes to make up stories with them.
She's used Hanson Roberts, The Fey Tarot, The Rabbit Tarot, The Tarot of the Magical Forest and her favourite is the Alice In Wonderland anime deck (it has nothing to do with Alice in Wonderland) but is a lovely RWS clone in an anime style: http://mangaart.com/wp/alice-in-wonderland-tarot-by-ceng-xiaojing/

For readings she loves the Oracle of Light and Shadow - very teen-girly and it has a great book too: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/oracle-shadows-light/

jackdaw*

My daughter has her own copy of the mini-sized Hanson-Roberts, just the right size for small hands (she's five). She started with the pocket Universal Waite, another great size.

When she was very small TdMs were popular for their bright colours and clean, simple images. So was the Sheridan Douglas for the same reason. And the Gypsy Witch Fortunetelling cards, for their size and the playing card inserts she would use to play Go Fish and get more practice with her numbers :)

She doesn't read them, but she tells me her impressions of the cards and arranges them in patterns based on the images, common elements in the cards, etc. She hasn't shown much interest in them lately, but at her age that could change at any moment. She's got a familiarity with them, which might develop later into more of an interest if she's so inclined.

moon

My son loves my Nigel Jackson deck, and the Gummy Bears. He is six.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

delizt

For children, or just the young at heart, the Hanson-Roberts is a great deck, also the Whimsical deck, and the Inner Child cards.

The Fairy Tale but Lisa Hunt is great as well

and there is a whole line of boxed cards designed for children and storytelling called StoryWorld, by John and Caitlin Matthews, while not divination, they can be used as such and inspire all sorts of storytelling games with children!

The Gypsy Witch cards were the very first deck I owned as a teenage girl...bought at a flea market for .50 cents!