Sheridan-Douglas Tarot: new printing

gregory

That's wonderful (and it's good to see you here !) - one small caveat - the feel was lovely but the card stock didn't half get wrecked if accidentally bent - and this can happen as they were hard to shuffle); can you make it so it doesn't ??? (I own one of the originals; I bought it in about 1975 !) Incidentally - if you can bring yourself to look there is another thread here where the different colours in printings are discussed; you may be able to answer the questions there ? I forget where it is but if I can find the link I'll post it.

PS It's here - the questions pop up throughout....

Jeannette

Now that the "Beans are Spilled"...

Okay, since Mr. Douglas himself has stepped up to make the official announcement, I guess I can feel free to put in my 2-cents' worth about this rumor-that's-no-longer-a-rumor. ;)

Mr. Douglas was kind enough to send us one of the prototype copies of the Sheridan-Douglas deck, and I must say, you will all be extremely pleased with the results. He has taken great pains to reproduce the deck exactly as it looked when it was originally published back in the 70s. It's hard to say whether or not there's a 100% color match between the edtions, as our library copy is, of course, 30+ years old (and preowned and previously used), which isn't condusive to maintaining exact, upon-publication color tones. But if they're not exact matches, they're certainly close enough. The box is also the same (except that the one on the prototype copy isn't nearly as beat-up as our early library copy, heh, heh!). Really, it's as if the deck never left us.

Given the hundreds of dollars, pounds, or euros that this deck has brought on the collectors' market since before Tarot Garden ever existed, this is obviously going to be a welcome addition to the world of 21st century tarot.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

P.S. -- Oh, yeah... with the announcement made, the Tarot Garden can take preorders for the Sheridan-Douglas Tarot now. :D

gregory

Is the card of the prototype the same sort of slightly 'puffy' thickness - and so does it go horribly irreparably damaged when bent ? Not that it matters too much to me; I don't think I will buy one, given that I have the original (SURPRISE !!! - but I have to cut back somewhere, given the car and the retirement - an order is coming, Jeannette - but not for that !)

Jeannette

gregory said:
...does it go horribly irreparably damaged when bent ?
Define "bent." I can flex the card, and it certainly doesn't seem any more prone to damage than any other decent deck. If I fold it in half, however, I expect it would develop an irreparable crease (not that I'm going to test that theory, mind you...) ;)

But, let me go grab my 70s edition copy...

(Runs downstairs -- *huff, huff* -- grabs deck -- runs back upstairs -- *huff, huff*)

...Okay, I'd have to rate the cardstock on the newer edition as being "less puffy." Now that I've got cards from both decks in my hands, the older edition does seem to be on a more rigid cardstock... so I can see your point, gregory. I'd hazard a guess that the new edition will be less prone to the problem you've described.

However, now that both are right here, I do have to revise one of my earlier comments. The coloring isn't exact on both copies -- the sun on the "Fool" card of my 70s copy is orange, whereas it is yellow in the new edition. There may be other such differences, but I haven't checked card-by-card. But maybe all that is addressed in the thread you sited above, gregory? I need to go back and re-read that thread... maybe different early editions have color variations among them?

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Lillie

Hello Mr Douglas.

Being as you are here, can I ask you something?

In the last couple of years I have found two copies of you deck. Both cheap.
But they are different.
One is the thick cards with the plain dark blue/purple backs, which stick together.
The other is slightly thinner cards, with mottled purple/white backs. These don't stick, and are lovely to shuffle (if they wern't so worn and a little bent)
These have a box, and the othe deck won't fit in this box, due to those cards being thicker.
No one else seems to have one like this, or even to have heard of one like it.

And what I would like to know, and what I have wondered for ages, is wether this odd deck is real?
It looks real, it looks genuinely old and worn. But no one else has ever seen one like it.

Also, the colours on both are a little different. Mostly it's just tone, but specifically the sun on the fool card is yellow on one and orange on the other.

If anyone is going to know the answer to this, it has got to be you!

lark

This is probably a really dumb question, but is this the deck that is illustrated in your book The Tarot, The Origins, Meanings and Uses of the Cards?
Illustrated by David Sheridan?

I've wanted to get a deck like that ever since I bought this book!

Lillie

Yes, Lark.

That's the one.

And while I am here again, I just wanted to mention (as I have mentioned many times before) the absolute and utter cuteness of the circular dog on the 7 of pentacles.

I don't know why, but that dog just does it for me, every time.

lark

Yipeee...I'm a pre-order for sure Jeannette!
Thank you Lillie..:)

coredil

Alfred Douglas said:
Yes indeed, we are in the process of reprinting our Sheridan Douglas tarot deck, and it will be available very shortly. We have tried to keep the look and feel of the original deck, first published in 1972, and we hope you enjoy the result.

Alfred Douglas
Incroyable!
Mais vrai :)
Thanks a lot to let us know Mr Douglas.
This is really great news for all collectors who were/are not able to get the old one (though I really tried hard, but there was no way)
Un grand merci :)

jackdaw*

Another preorder here, Jeannette :)