Reading someone without permission.

Grizabella

Something nobody ever brings up in these threads is-----we're not always right in reading the cards! I don't know why there's always such a big fuss about the "ethics" of it all when we might not even be right in the first place.

I think a greater danger and a greater question should be---"should we consult the cards about somebody else when we might not get the right answer and would jump to conclusions based on an incorrect reading?" I think the answer is "Sure, go ahead. Do the reading. But don't be so sure the answer you get holds water." :)

Papageno

TomTom

Well, Solitaire, that's what I meant. We wouldn't get the right cards and answers when asking about someone else without permission. It just didn't come out that way how I wrote it.

Thanks, Adjustment, for the threads about ethics. Have bookmarked them for later reading.

I had inquired at ATA and CTA about the ethics of it. If complaints arrive in this regard about a member (Master etc) there would probably follow a demotion, so I was told.

As for me personally, I will not do it. It just doesn't feel right. That's all.

Regards
TomTom

The crowned one

Solitaire* said:
Something nobody ever brings up in these threads is-----we're not always right in reading the cards! I don't know why there's always such a big fuss about the "ethics" of it all when we might not even be right in the first place.

I think a greater danger and a greater question should be---"should we consult the cards about somebody else when we might not get the right answer and would jump to conclusions based on an incorrect reading?" I think the answer is "Sure, go ahead. Do the reading. But don't be so sure the answer you get holds water." :)

Good point, and as I am hit and miss for divination I do take them with a grain of salt, but every now and then I get a chill or feeling and know I have nailed it. Mostly I use them to get in tune with my super and sub conscience,( I am trying to get all my consciences to shake hands ;) its tough!) in time I will do divination well. For now they are like advice/ guidance from a good friend, and I can take it or leave it.

wytchwood

tabi said:
My own personal take on this is his own reaction to tarot to begin with. I will NEVER read for or asking any question involving my mom. She believes them to be evil and refuses to even look at any or have them in her home. Which this is her belief and she is welcomed to it. I know that she would not like or want me to do any type of reading even out of curousity that involves her. Now if it is someone that is expressively interested or simply netural then yes I would.

However if you're not sure whether it is ethical or not; why not simply ask him to let you do a reading to see if he will be able to sell the house. Hence enabling you both to have a more open talk of why the selling and if he will be successful with selling it if that is truly his wish.

I am in the same boat with my Mom, she thinks they're evil so I make sure they're not out when she comes, and I don't take them to hers (although sometimes the Pocket Thoth is still in my handbag when I forget to take it out) but generally I respect her wishes and would not read for or about her.

However, I would still read about other people in a nosy way, and I think being a witch/ forteller of future events is an unfair advantage over others and if we think we can just do white magick and 'good' we are deluding ourselves. By doing spells to get that job, you may be shoving someone else aside who deserved/ needed it more. By doing divinations about any situation we are setting ourselves a head start which is unfair to others. I think it's silly to draw vague lines in the sand. It's different if it's a situation where you know very well that someone you care for would be deeply affected in a negative way by the knowledge of your having done a reading for them without permission, but generally, I don't worry too much about a situation which won't affect him if he doesn't know.

That said, I don't do too many trivial readings about people's business with the tarot. On the rare occasion I am interested in someone's petty affairs, playing cards would be more suitable to the task. Also, I don't like to use the Tarot for 'nosy parker readings', I prefer to reserve them for bigger issues.
I suppose when it crosses the line from trivial to important is directly related to your feelings about the person. If you care a lot about them, then it's not trivial is it? But if they are just a neighbour I would use playing cards. As the witch Dame Alice Kyteler puts it:

If you want to know about philosophy, go and knock on the front door and ask the Philosopher. If you wish to know what transpires in the Philosopher's household, knock on the back door and ask the scullery maid.

Wise words!

Zoe