USPS Media Mail

G6

Btw

Btw my Media Mail package just updated, yay!!! šŸ˜Š

BodhiSeed

I've had tarot deck and book sets sent to me via Media Mail, but my postman has told me that decks do not qualify. Basically it's a crap-shoot if you use it to send decks.

G6

I've had tarot deck and book sets sent to me via Media Mail, but my postman has told me that decks do not qualify. Basically it's a crap-shoot if you use it to send decks.

Yep, it seems like if it is a traditional deck and book set with a substantial book it might fly, but otherwise possibly not.

bonebeach

I'm POSITIVE I've gotten comic books via media mail, not once, but repeatedly. I don't see why the ad thing would be an issue, unless they mean that single issue comics aren't allowed, which I could see (and I've never tried ordering because ugh, single issues are a pain). Like glam mags, they have a lot of ads. But a full on graphic novel? When several single issues are collected together to form a continuous narrative and printed in a sassy fancy hardcopy? Why wouldn't that qualify? No ads there.

I mean, graphic novels win literary awards now and then. Meh. I was never aware of this distinction before and now my feathers are ruffled. :)

I suppose though that you WOULDN'T often rummage through mail with, say, a hardbound graphic novel in it--it would feel just like a book, so why bother? Hmm.

Laura Borealis

Um, I just found out the USPS rifles through media mail, meaning they have the authority to open any packages they feel like to see if what's in there "qualifies" as media mail.

Technically, I think a pack of tarot cards in a deck and book set qualifies as media mail. Plus, any tarot pack with an LWB technically is a deck and book set. Furthermore, I think it could be argued that tarot cards in general sans LWB or full blown companion book are "educational" materials.

Anyone else have thoughts on this topic?

They routinely rifle through media mail because that service is so often abused by eBay shippers and others trying to get a cheaper price.

I just ship priority, I don't try to cheat the system. Sure you can argue that tarot is educational, but honestly we're not buying and trading tarot decks to educate - we're hobbyists and collectors. :p

G6

They routinely rifle through media mail because that service is so often abused by eBay shippers and others trying to get a cheaper price.

I just ship priority, I don't try to cheat the system. Sure you can argue that tarot is educational, but honestly we're not buying and trading tarot decks to educate - we're hobbyists and collectors. :p

I'm learning a lot, Laura. ;-)

Philistine

I've noticed in my neck of the woods, media mail goes through a separate sorting facility that is locally know for losing packages or misrouting them to the other side of the country. Priority mail will go through the regular facility, which funny enough is further away but always comes a few days faster.

Sellers seem to like media post as they can show the lowest total-with-shipping among Amazon or eBay listings. Caveat emptor! I'll pay more for a seller stating they use priority or UPS/FedEx (though they are no angels, either).