Why is the Thoth deck so popular?

Zephyros

Funny how the Prince of Swords is usually the card people hate, and it was like that for me, too. But over time I realized how his image suited his personality, and now the sketchy quality of the card makes perfect sense.

mercuryempress

Funny how the Prince of Swords is usually the card people hate, and it was like that for me, too. But over time I realized how his image suited his personality, and now the sketchy quality of the card makes perfect sense.

Thanks Zephyros that bit of information of his "sketchy" quality opens my perspective on the image more...

Zephyros

Thanks Zephyros that bit of information of his "sketchy" quality opens my perspective on the image more...

As "Air of Air" he is all over the place, unfocused. He is obsessed completely by theory and doesn't have a practical bone in his body. His image may well have been painted by himself, and looks like a rough sketch hastily begun and then abandoned.

IHeartRescues

Iheartrescues I've just received it as well..I had put it aside to be put in line with the others but I couldn't help myself so now I'm working with The large cards and The sun and moon tarot for my side deck. I'm thinking to pull a card everyday from both decks and go from there.The only card I really have an issue with in the Thoth is the Prince of Swords..eekk. it's the ugliest card in the deck IMO

How did that "sad" face get up there?? lol. I had planned the same but found I also just kept reaching for the Thoth. I will admit that when going through the deck I also hesitated on that Prince of Swords. So thanks Zephyros. I am seeing that card differently now, Air of air of course :)

Y'know after seeing the Death card all Blinged out on... gaaah where IS that thread?? I cannot get THAT out of my HEAD! I digress as usual...

Achlys

For those who own it, why do you like this deck?

The vibrant colors and the energy of the deck are what drew me to it initially.
After using it for 10+ years, I've noticed that it tends to give deeper and more multilayered meanings than other decks like the RWS. The energy flow of the deck is beautiful and it speaks very well to one's intuition. While the books about the deck are extremely helpful, I started out with this deck and was able to grasp the meanings without intensive study right away.
I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be intimidated by the deck or hate the deck because Crowley created it, but the deck is its own creation and doesn't have the negative energies to it that Crowley may have had.

Thoughtful

After using it for 10+ years, I've noticed that it tends to give deeper and more multilayered meanings than other decks like the RWS. The energy flow of the deck is beautiful and it speaks very well to one's intuition. While the books about the deck are extremely helpful, I started out with this deck and was able to grasp the meanings without intensive study right away.

Well said Achlys, my own exact feelings about the Thoth, the more l use it the more it reveals itself, it's a wonderfully intuitive tarot.

mercuryempress

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be intimidated by the deck or hate the deck because Crowley created it, but the deck is its own creation and doesn't have the negative energies to it that Crowley may have had.

I am looking forward to using this deck 10+ years from now. I've said before I am very intimated by the deck because I am no where adept enough; I am still paddling my feet but yet I've been so drawn to this deck..I'm now hypnotized by the Heirophant...I could just stare at that one and I have no idea why lol. As for Crowley I don't really have an issue with him (Is that too much to say openly? please no rocks lol) I can only go by what feels right to and for me.
As for the deck itself my Thoth has been very kind to me :)
much more than others ....my rider clone herbal tarot is extremely judgy.. go figure

Thoughtful

I am looking forward to using this deck 10+ years from now. I've said before I am very intimated by the deck because I am no where adept enough; I am still paddling my feet but yet I've been so drawn to this deck..
As for the deck itself my Thoth has been very kind to me :)

You will be using the Thoth forever let alone 10 years, once it takes hold it won't let you go. Can't say l am adept in using all that the deck has to offer, but it reads beautifully for me nonetheless.
Like you Thoth has been kind to me also, even in my first bumbling learnings. It's a wonderful journey, and it's the one deck, apart from one other, that never lets me down and l never tire of using.

Achlys

You will be using the Thoth forever let alone 10 years, once it takes hold it won't let you go. Can't say l am adept in using all that the deck has to offer, but it reads beautifully for me nonetheless.
Like you Thoth has been kind to me also, even in my first bumbling learnings. It's a wonderful journey, and it's the one deck, apart from one other, that never lets me down and l never tire of using.

Agreed! There's a reason it has withstood the test of time and remains a popular deck.

EmpyreanKnight

Because its allure is timeless, and it is the one I shall always come back to. I am currently studying the Thoth again, and it really is sweeter the second time around. ;)