The Best Marseille Deck--Your Top Three List . . .

Flavio

So far I have 3 TdM only, so in order of preference they would be:

Jean Noblet
Jodo-Camoin
Kris Hadar

At this moment my main reading TdM is the Jodo-Camoin because the Noblet and I are getting to know each other.

stella01904

I love the smell of a new Jodo-Camoin. It doesn't even smell like plastic, it smells like paint thinner or turpentine, like an artist loft. Impossible, but true.

I'm TRYING to get a Noblet. How long does it take these guys to email back?

firecatpickles

I got my email within hours.

You have to actually fill out an order form & Roxanne will send you a bill.

Sulis

I think I'm the only person who has the Noblet and doesn't like it that much.. It's OK but it doesn't scream 'read with me' to me :)

My favourite Marseilles decks are:

1. Heron Conver - love it, it's magical
2. Veritable Tarot de Marseille - Hadar - love the colouring
3. Major Tom's tarot - the first edition because it doens't take itself too seriously.

Lee

Sulis said:
I think I'm the only person who has the Noblet and doesn't like it that much.. It's OK but it doesn't scream 'read with me' to me :)
You are not the only person! It's a fascinating deck for comparative purposes, and Flornoy did a great job in restoring and publishing it, but it's not the Marseille I would choose first to read with. Of course I may change my mind in the future...

teomat

Sulis said:
You're not alone. I really want to like it, but it just comes across as a bit too 'comical' for my taste. Like a newspaper cartoon.

I'm currently enjoying the old 1970s deck 'Tarot Classic' - but I know it's not really considered a 'true' Marseille deck.

wytchwood

This thread is making me acutely aware of my lack of any Marseille deck. I've wanted one for a while, but never bought one as it was so difficult to choose one. I think the Noblet has my vote from what I can see online, and is probably the one I'll buy. I have a Jane Lyle cheapo kit I was given which is in the Marseille style but it's so awful I don't use it. Otherwise I have the Soprafino which is beautiful, but not a Marseille, the Italian style is 'fancier' than the French. I have a few decks with non-scenic pips, but really I should have at least one proper Marseille deck....

Zoe xx

stella01904

Kilted Kat said:
I got my email within hours.

You have to actually fill out an order form & Roxanne will send you a bill.
Yes, I filled out the form, there was a lag, I posted here, and the bill & paypal thing came right after. It's Murphy's world, lol. Roxanne is awesome, and the deck is going out today.

ihcoyc

My personal favorites are:

Lo Scarabeo Ancient Tarot of Marseille - a Conver reproduction, and one of my main reading decks.

The Tarot Set deck - another Conver, without any further art credit; the one that goes with me when I travel. Inexpensively made, but authentic enough and unpretentious.

Tarot de Marsella - so pretty, love the golden backgrounds; the deck I turn to when I want to contemplate a symbol.

I just ordered the Noblet; the scans look gorgeous.

Not quite Marseille decks -

Tarocchini Milanese / Masenghini - a/k/a "Soprafino for Dummies". A simplified version of (mostly) the Della Rocca designs. Surprisingly inexpensive, and made for card playing.

Ancient Italian Tarots - a real Soprafino.

Swiss 1JJ - my first tarot deck.

Tarot de Paris - whoever made this definitely went his or her own way with it. The pips are Spanish style, with individual logs and scimitars, not abstract designs. The design of the Majors is highly idiosyncratic, with the Chariot pulled by geese. The aces are all heraldic animals like uniforms bearing suit emblems on flags. I deeply love this deck, though.

eugim

By far I vote for JEAN DODAL deck.
1-It s one of the earliest on Marseilles tradition
2-Has a consistent iconofraphic pattern along the entirely deck.
3-His XVIII LA LVNE card so his face could be trace on Cary sheet.
4-I love too much the "Art line" of the engrave.
5-Contrary to Noblet near or close in time to him,in his XIII card the Death goes toward or best follow the numerical cards sequence.

Eugim