Possible to ID this stone?

MandMaud

I picked up a brooch today, because it was next to a pair of earrings I was certain were a real stone, until I picked them up and found them lightweight time-wasters. ;)

I'm pretty sure the stone in the brooch is real. It's cut and polished flat and completely smooth, so I can't even feel the visible scratch.

I know nothing! and my only thought is agate, but not sure the colour's right. I'd describe it as sage green and the only green agate I've found online is moss agate, not the same shade.

Attachments

• mystery brooch.jpg
    mystery brooch.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 198

earthair

I think it's green marble, especially as it's cut flat.

MandMaud

@ PathWalker - I agree about the colour, but from the images I can find, serpentine's swirls seem to swirl more smoothly - if you know what I mean! It's so hard to know, without knowing the normal range of variation within the same kind of stone. :)

@ earthair - the patterning is indeed just like marble (which I'm familiar with from childhood, as my gran had a big slab of marble for making pastry on :)); I didn't know it came in green. How much variety is there in the greens? Again, judging only from pictures online, all that I found are much more bluish than this.

Actually this one looks closest in colour: http://gem5.com/images/gem/serpentine.png
though I know that colours on the computer aren't to be trusted!

celticnoodle

I don't know what the stone is exactly, but I can tell you it is pretty! I love brooches like that! Good find, MandMaud!

Padma

I picked up a brooch today, because it was next to a pair of earrings I was certain were a real stone, until I picked them up and found them lightweight time-wasters. ;)

I'm pretty sure the stone in the brooch is real. It's cut and polished flat and completely smooth, so I can't even feel the visible scratch.

I know nothing! and my only thought is agate, but not sure the colour's right. I'd describe it as sage green and the only green agate I've found online is moss agate, not the same shade.

Definitely green marble. I'd bet my bottom dollar on it!

Tigerangel

I'm not 100% sure what the stone could be, my first initial thought was it was a piece of averutrine mixed with milky white quartz, but I'm more inclined to maybe think it could be green jasper crystalline quartz, I've attached a pic of highly polished piece of green jasper quartz so you can compare them.

Attachments

• IMG_20151203_224703.jpg
    IMG_20151203_224703.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 150

avalonian

I wonder if it might be Tree Agate, also known as Dendritic Agate.

:) :) :)

BodhiSeed

Tossing my guess into the ring: moss agate or tree agate (the former is more translucent than the second).

sweetcherise13

It does look like tree agate. I have some I was comparing it to and it has very strong similarities.