Connolly: The Fool

Sophie-David

The Connolly Fool stands at the crossroads, looking back over his shoulder. This is the beginning of the Fool's Journey - which is the right path to enlightenment? The Fool is focused in his decision, but not unduly worried. Each of the four cardinal directions lie before him, each of the four elements and suits. In which direction does balance await, in which direction challenge? We don't actually know from whence he came, since he may have already turned around while considering the path. Perhaps he will go a short way down one of them and return - or perhaps he is determined to pursue one road to its very end.

In the background we see the white cliffs - I immediately think of the chalk cliffs of Dover. The path from the top left, where the dog is standing, appears to be a gentle climb, but perhaps the path behind the fool goes to a sheer drop. The Fool's Journey is not without danger, and I most definitely disagree with Douglas Menville on this, page xiv of the introduction to Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice.

The Fool himself is dressed in bright red and pink, elegant, passionate but not very practical - no packsack, no overcoat for when it rains, no durable leggings or pants, no heavy boots for the mud and puddles to come. He is innocent of the trials of life, optimistic, poetic and courtly. How often we may start our own journeys in a similar way, particularly in youth. But if the spirit is strong we adapt to the challenges, our optimism sustains us, and we may grow to look more like the Hermit in his heavy cloak as the practicalities of hiking in the weather have their way with our Fool's purse.

He carries a short if impractical staff of Wands, his inspiration and youthful energy. The Fool wears a purse, hopefully full of Pentacles or Coins. His coat and feather are of the fiery red of Swords, and behind him lies the ocean of Cups. This Fool partakes of each element, which is a good beginning.

In his left hand he carries a white rose, a symbol of purity and innocence, and also of the inner feminine of his unconscious. His dog patiently awaits his decision, and I can't help but notice the black ring around the dog's eye, like a mischevious pirate. As a totem of the Fool's masculine energy, the dog shows balance and poise, and well as the promise of playful adventure.

Daffodils nestle in the grass, so we know it is Spring, the Fool has his lifetime ahead of him. The weather is bright, calm and warm, the clouds not at all threatening. May he have good luck on his journey, and each of us on ours!

MoonMaiden

Is the Fool like my soul at the beginning of the day? I awake to hope, to choice, to "the field of all possibilities," as Deepak Chopra says. I begin at the beginning. I could take up the thoughts of yesterday, of the errors or triumphs, but I choose to let go and begin again. My present and future are a magical map of choice.

Sophie-David

Well put. Each day is its own lifetime - and each moment. Our heritage and our hope rests in our dreams and our memories...

Rosanne

Well put to both of you. Thats why I can read in every moment. I have always (since tarot entered my life) seen it as a journey, for each moment, day, week, month and year. I can shrink the message or expand it. It never fails to amaze me. Regards Rosanne

Sophie-David

The Connolly Fool's Journey: The Key to Me

September 16, 2004: Connolly's Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice arrived Monday and the Connolly deck arrived Tuesday (yesterday). I started the exercises in the book: I was just doing one in which you shuffle only the numbered cards of the Minor Arcana, then deal them one at a time, focusing on the meaning of the card's suit. It seems the cards already had other ideas: the first one up was the Ace of Swords (I would read "the beginning of new intellectual ideas"), followed closely by the Ace of Pentacles ("the beginning of a successful venture"), with the Ace of Cups right after ("the beginning of new spiritual insight and sensitivity"). The cards were very well shuffled, and the aces were definitely not together when they came out of the box. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

September 27, 2004. The voice of Eirian, the Creative Beloved (natal Venus in Aquarius), the invitation to the quest:

The Tarot is a part of your new seeing also. It may seem a distraction, but please approach it with discipline. You know what you need of astrology to help you with the Tarot. Give Tarot your sacred devotion, you will not be wasting your effort, for it is another key to me.

September 30, 2004. There is a small shelf above the table on which I study Tarot, a small altar with tealight candles burning inside purple glass holders, one on each side of the incense sensor as it burns Sage in the middle of the shelf. I put The Fool out on the rich blue velvet table cover, the fabric of The Inner Beloved.

In my Tarot course, I am going somewhat ahead as I do each of the Major Arcana - I intend to do the card's prayer in the morning, then jump ahead to its meditation in the evening (following a repeat of the same prayer). The symbology of the four evangelists seems to have a special power for me. I put on the Iona CD, The Book of Kells, which is immersed in the theme of the four evangelists as spiritual guides, then I did a meditation on The Fool, going deep into the imagery of the card as Connolly suggested.

It was a profound experience, first as a little boy, laying on the grass smelling the flowers, then running happily a little way up and down each of the four paths, then as an adult fool on the edge of the cliff, an image came of a flower from the top of my head, continuously unfolding, layer after layer of petals until it at last separated. I left the body behind, becoming a beautiful swirling mass of colour above the flowered grass, the pure white cliffs, the green sea of the Fool Card. Then as a seagull I matched myself against the air currents, and saw my body left frozen in the moment I had left it on the edge of the cliff. At length I decided to return. As I quickly re-entered the body, the Fool reanimated with a quiet smile. The dog was still entranced. I gently stroked him and he came alive. Then we knew exactly where we were going, out of the front of the card, towards the left.

I had a sense that this process with the Major Arcana would be a highly mystical and healing one. The Fool was an easy card - I wonder what the others will be like.

October 28, 2004: Analysis The meditations begin, as the Tarot system has planned, with The Fool, who undertakes the journey with childlike naïveté. The simple visions of transcendence and flying remind me of the early visions I would have as a child in the forest or fields, and as an adult taking communion. There is an opening of the soul, an initial stage of spiritual growth.

Queen of Disks

This Fool is one of my favorites. Instead of just dancing off of a cliff like others, he has to make a decision as to what direction to take in life. (one of which might or might not take him off a cliff. Some roads might be more interesting then others.) There isn't a right or a wrong way to go, he just needs to pick one. He has the world at his feet and unlimited posibilities and endless potential. It's spring, judging from the daffodils, the season of new life and beginings. The Fool has his dog (not sure of the breed), his guide and loyal companion who will help him get through this new world.

Sometimes I have problems making decisions, so this Fool is important to me. He reminds me to just pick something and enjoy the journey.

SpiritOfTheDogz

The first thing that struck me being dog lover, was the breed of dog which I believe to have some significance on the interpretation. The breed is an English Bull Terrier, while that itself is not that fascinating the fact that the breed was featured in a Walt Disney film called the Incredible Journey is. The Fool is stood at the crossroads with his faithful friend and companion, maybe they are about to embark (no pun intended) on an incredible journey.
X marks the spot, the spot from which this life changing journey starts, however there's no clue as to which direction to go, but he his stopping to think about it rather than just stepping out and hoping for the best. The dog almost looks like he's waiting for the Fool to make the wrong decision, just so he can have a good old bark and tell him it's wrong. I believe they'll work together here, maybe indicating that a friend, a good loyal friend at that, could have an influence in a decision the querent would have to make.
he amount of purple in the card would indicate a level of spirituality and the green indicating growth so maybe on one level the card is about spiritual growth.

There's one thing I don't get about the card and that is the amound of white in the background how the white cliffs seam to purposely merge with the very low white clouds as if it were drawn that way on purpose. white generally signifies truth but he is walking away from the truth?

crazy raven

What I like about this card and the deck itself, is the contrast of colors. Contrasts are created by pairing the 3 primary and 3 secondary colors together......red/green, yellow/violet, blue/orange. These paired colors create a balanced harmonious whole (mental, emotional and spiritual). Together they share energy and knowledge by passing through each other (simultaneous contrast). ...they complement each other and at the same time clear out the old and stagnant patterns and bring what is needed to rebuild, awaken the Fool to another era, or lifetime.

Color healers usually work with nine colors....red, orange, yellow, green, indigo, violet, magenta and turquoise. Connolly seems to have recognized this. Do you think the clouds are blocking out the sun? Most artists and healers are taught the most constant light is north-facing.....also, as the sun moves across the sky it can add a yellow tinge to 'everything' and make it difficult to focus on the more brighter colors......are the white clouds meant to block the sun and as well, reflect and influence all the colors in this card?

Is the Fool using his heart and mind to pinpoint the four directions on his natal wheel ...the doorway to his birth?

Beautiful card.....I've enjoyed all the comments written here.

SpiritOfTheDogz

The clouds might be blocking the sun, but then the clouds would have a red colour to them wouldn't they if the sun was trying to shine through?
What is there to say that the sun is over in that direction anyway, we don't know if in his world/country the sun rises in the North, South, East or West so we really wouldn't know where it would be, there is just no signs of the sun at all, not even any glimpses of shadows anywhere.
maybe it simply means that he has come out of the clouds in to the clear?

crazy raven

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
The clouds might be blocking the sun, but then the clouds would have a red colour to them wouldn't they if the sun was trying to shine through?
What is there to say that the sun is over in that direction anyway, we don't know if in his world/country the sun rises in the North, South, East or West so we really wouldn't know where it would be, there is just no signs of the sun at all, not even any glimpses of shadows anywhere.
maybe it simply means that he has come out of the clouds in to the clear?

Looking at this card again, I have to agree with you SOTD, about the clouds not obscuring the sun. So I'm still curious as what the clouds could represent.

I looked at this site on tarot symbolism...
http://www.tarotteachings.com/symbol-meanings-of-tarot-a-c.html
"Clouds hold the symbol meaning of revelation. Consider out of the mists of our deepest thoughts suddenly an epiphany comes, a bright idea comes out from nowhere - this is the basic cloud symbol meaning. Depending on the card, clouds can also symbolize confusion or clouded judgment. Primarily, clouds represent higher thought and messages from the divine."

and this site http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Dream_Dictionary_Clouds/id/242566 "Bright, fluffy clouds in a clear sky indicate aspirations that you can attain if you work at them"

What do you think the clouds symbolize?