Connolly: Materialism

MoonMaiden

Four appendages, four chains. In the Connolly Materialism, the masculine figure is attached by chains to the four symbols of the minor arcana. His hands are chained to an empty cup and pentacles flying away. His feet are attached to a brown-leafed wand and a wavy-bladed sword. Behind him are almost-black clouds, and the sun heavily clouded over. However, also behind him is a rainbow and a feminine figure looking on, wistful and powerless to help.

Is this our ego, having sought the outer things of life, and now chained to them by the very acts of misuse? The figure however, is not tightly bound. The chains on his hands will easily slip off. It seems to be that his false beliefs have not been challenged, but he has accepted himself as a victim, a prisoner -- powerless and stuck. The truth is, he can free himself easily. The feminine side, intuitive and knowing, sees this, but also seeing that he makes no effort to change circumstances, feels great sadness.

Always at our disposal is the rainbow of promise and our intuition, the hope of what lies just beyond the clouds.

No, this is not the Devil of the traditional tarot. It has no horns or menacing vibration. It does not bring up fears. It is more subtle. It is an image of what can happen when the outer world is pursued to the the detriment of the inner. Yet the inner is there, just waiting for us to embrace our wholeness and focus on the light, and not the shadow.

Sophie-David

New Insights

MoonMaiden, I really appreciate your insights on this card. Its wonderful when someone guides you to see things that were invisible before.

Although I now see that the LWB suggests otherwise, I had always saw Materialism as being buried in a cave: what I now see as black clouds were the cave walls. Now I realize that the scene actually takes place in an obscuring cloud or fog of delusive objectivity. As you suggest, it is all a matter of awareness, for his feminine unconscious stands unnoticed behind him ready to lead him across the rainbow bridge of death and renewal.

The materialist know nothing of the glories that he holds within, but looks with uncomprehending puzzlement as he sees his Pentacles falling away, futilely grasping at the chain by which the remaining one is held. The LWB points out that his staff of life is broken and its leaves are dying, the sword of insight is bent, and his emotional cup is empty.

I also realize that I too relate very well to the imagery on this card, it is merely the title that I find offputting, and so when I write it down in my Tarot log I always call the card "The Devil/Materialism". During cycles of growth I have seen it several times come up in the past position, which shows I am on the right track and is indeed a blessing. And of course I see growth as intrinsically related to the guidance of the feminine within the soul, the treasure who waits at the foot of the rainbow.

I see a link between this redheaded woman beyond the rainbow and Temperance who precedes this card. In my meditations Temperance has looked very much like this woman, and expresses the archetype of my natal Vesta in Libra, restoring the balance of body, mind, spirit and emotion through the practice of art, love and sacred sexuality.

Finally, I have a little more amplification on the Devil/Materialist, also recognized as our internal Bluebeard or predator, from Clarissa Pinkola Estés in Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype. Bluebeard tries to drain one's creative energy, attempts to sabotage one's growth, and proclaims defeat where one is left the most vulnerable. In both women and men, he is sustained by the lies and half-truths we believe about ourselves. From page 60:
When we refuse to entertain the predator, its strength is extracted and it is unable to act without us... the predator's psychic energum is rendered, it is formable to some other purpose... Women find that as they vanquish the predator, taking from it what is useful and leaving the rest, they are filled with intensity, vitality, and drive. The have rendered from the predator what has been stolen from them, vigor and substance.
David

MoonMaiden

You know, David, I do see your cave, but even more I see the light. Is it someone searching for us, to liberate us (someone other than we acknowledged before)? Is it our true and whole nature, always calling to us to remember who we are? Even in the midst of our meditation in the cave, our true nature and our false beliefs are with us. Which one do we choose?

By the way, I have seen conversations in this forum about this deck seeming too christian-oriented but I can't quite see it. How can materialism be more christian-oriented than the devil. Isn't it our false belief that we are our "sins" the reason to be scared by the "devil" in the first place? Why should we need to have a card called the devil to realize that things aren't on the right track? Why have a devil if we don't believe that our stuff is really us? (But I digress . . .)

Maybe materialism is trying to lead us to Mater-realism - trying to distinguish the mother, the unconditional matrix of love, from the "It's got to be real because I see it (and I want it)" consciousness.

The cave that you see may truly be the alchemical womb where we realize that change has always been possible for us. You saw that cave for a reason. I hope I haven't been too obtuse in putting in a few observations. Thanks for expanding my perception. :)

Sophie-David

MoonMaiden said:
You know, David, I do see your cave, but even more I see the light. Is it someone searching for us, to liberate us (someone other than we acknowledged before)? Is it our true and whole nature, always calling to us to remember who we are? Even in the midst of our meditation in the cave, our true nature and our false beliefs are with us. Which one do we choose?
Most of us turn our backs on the temperate lady with her rainbow bridge of death and rebirth.

MoonMaiden said:
By the way, I have seen conversations in this forum about this deck seeming too christian-oriented but I can't quite see it. How can materialism be more christian-oriented than the devil. Isn't it our false belief that we are our "sins" the reason to be scared by the "devil" in the first place? Why should we need to have a card called the devil to realize that things aren't on the right track? Why have a devil if we don't believe that our stuff is really us? (But I digress . . .)
Yes, there are concerns that this deck is too Christian oriented. I suppose there is a sensitivity to Christian influence, particularly in the United States, where the religion has a degree of influence which is associated with some pretty unloving political policies. Whenever any religion is associated with political power, there is a tendency for some to abuse and distort its central tenants as a means of control. There are very few religions that are not free from exoteric controllers who mistake the metaphor for meaning. But I do find it ironic that people rarely complain that a deck is too Buddhist, too Wiccan or too Zen. Perhaps if the majority of ATF members lived in countries where other religions dominated there would be a different bias. When I look at the world, I do not see any countries which are wholly good or wholly evil, no matter what the religious belief of the majority.

But I think the concern about the word "Materialism" on this card rather than "Devil" is not from a pro or anti Christian sentiment, but from the suggestion that it makes the card too soft. In preparing for my meditation, I went down a bit of a dead-end in listing material temptations that various aspects of my personality (expressed as internal entities) would be seduced by. But materialism per se was not a big issue for me - the internal predator of the soul which I mentioned above was the more significant problem. For me, the word "devil" maps more closely to this inner destroyer than "materialist".

MoonMaiden said:
Maybe materialism is trying to lead us to Mater-realism - trying to distinguish the mother, the unconditional matrix of love, from the "It's got to be real because I see it (and I want it)" consciousness.
That is an interesting deconstruction, "Mater-realism", and also reminds me of the matrix of relatedness which is a feminine perspective, an expression of the web of life as opposed to the materialist's chains of death.

MoonMaiden said:
The cave that you see may truly be the alchemical womb where we realize that change has always been possible for us. You saw that cave for a reason. I hope I haven't been too obtuse in putting in a few observations. Thanks for expanding my perception. :)
MoonMaiden, you are definitely not being obtuse! And if we all had the same perceptions there wouldn't be much point in having a discussion. :)

A cave for me is a symbol of the unconscious, and it is also a useful place to see this archetype. While the Materialist may seem to function well enough in the mundane world of his chosen reality, he is the most imprisoned at this unconscious level. His inner self is dying, chained into inertia by his objective desires. But the cave of his unconscious also contains his brightest hope, the Inner Beloved, the treasure at the foot of the rainbow, his guide to freedom across the rainbow bridge of transition and new beginnings. So there is truth in the cave imagery for me also.

However, in my meditational cycle I did not encounter the Materialist within a cave, but in the skies above the desert, so your imagery connected me consciously back to the card in a way that made a lot of sense too.

MoonMaiden

Sophie-David: When you have a chance would you mention the process you used in your "meditational cycle"? I meant to mention it before, as it intruiged me. Thanks. :)

Sophie-David

To answer this question I would just like to fill in a bit of background info first...

Shortly after the union with the Inner Beloved in April 2004, Sophie requested a Tarot reading from my mentor. After attending a 1-1/2 hour session with two readings it was clear to both my mentor and myself that I had a natural gift with the cards. I did not feel I had the time to pursue this discipline at the time since there was so many other new things I needed to learn to put my new consciousness into perspective.

As inner growth continued, later in the year I discovered that there was a second Inner Beloved. Where Sophie is a reflection of the archetypes of the High Priestess and the Moon in natal Aquarius and I call her the Intimate Beloved, the second entity relates to the Empress and Venus in natal Aquarius and I refer to her as Eirian the Creative Beloved or Romantic Beloved. Now, one of Eirian's assignments to me (these inner beings not only bring gifts but expect them in return :)) was to learn the Tarot, "Approach it with sacred discipline, for it is another key to me".

So in September 2004 I started learning the Tarot using Eileen Connolly's Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice. As part of learning the Major Arcana, in "Exercise 10: Entering the Major Arcana" page 57, you select a card, say a prayer of invocation, and
hold the picture in your Inner Eye...Feel the picture in your Inner Eye take on length and depth, like a three dimensional movie...As you enter this new dimension, become sensitive to life and movement all around you...You are now part of this world...Start to walk and become totatally involved in what is happening around you.
and so on. Each day for 22 days I continued with each card from the Majors in sequence - this was the meditational cycle. The Fool was easy and fun, but later cards became more and more challenging, with some meditations lasting up to an hour. Then documenting them would take at least twice as long again. By the time I was done I was quite exhausted and I did take three days off to type up an analysis of the journey. Interestingly enough and certainly not consciously planned, the cycle was exactly in phase with the days of the month of October, September 30th being The Fool.

This meditational cycle was one of the most powerful and life-changing intentional disciplines I have every undertaken. It was also quite psychically dangerous since there were definite risks involved - I understand now that I had engaged the process it what could be considered a Shamanic way. I had done extensive shadow work with a Christian counsellor about ten years ago so I did have some background, and I checked with her before proceeding and she felt that I would be able to handle it. I also had a bit of moral support from my mentor and from my spouse, but basically it was something I was ready for and I had to do on my own.

The most difficult and dangerous cards were The Hermit, The Wheel of Fortune, The Hanged Man and Death. It may seem strange that the Hermit and Wheel were difficult, but they seemed to manifest as Reversals - and the Wheel seemed to actually involve a journey outside of the psyche.

Many of the cards revealed themselves as internal entities associated with both the astrological and Tarot archetypes simultaneously. I had met some of these before and some were new. The process isolated and worked with each of these internal aspects, then reintegrated them in Judgement and The World.

This card, Materialism/The Devil, took an extra day's preparation and I approached it with some trepidation. I remember writing that I felt like a Fool working on a highrise building. I had confidentally walked onto a girder and was well on my way to crossing to the other side, but when the Devil card showed up I looked down - then all I could do was crouch and cling to the girder in paralysis. This test was in fact the first part of dealing with the internal devil.

But there was a creative breakthrough which came to me, the use of a power animal I had discovered in my dreams, the Wild White Stallion. This was a symbol of balanced but virile masculine energy, equivalent to the Wild Woman's Wolf of Clarissa Pinkola Estés which I mentioned above. I realized that when the integrating Self assumes the form of the Wild White Stallion it has unlimited power over the psyche. When I assumed the internal power of the Stallion I was able to proceed with the Devil meditation and it was actually one of the easiest cards I had to deal with. The Stallion encountered The Internal Devil, the predator of one's creativity, in the desert and rendered it into a small black stone. Much as Estés describes, the energy of the stone was released by casting it into an abyss.

The Stallion has power to defend and destroy but also to celebrate and to heal - there was a wonderful sequence in the Sun meditation of reconciliation with my inner feminine child. The Stallion represents the highest and most powerful form of integration I have achieved but it is also the most dangerous, and not something that I undertake lightly.

I have been in at least two minds whether to share the actual contents of these meditations here. Some of them are not particularly personal and could be presented as part of the discussion of the Connolly Majors - but taking certain ones out of context without sharing the whole process also seems problematic. So I still haven't decided.

Incidentally, after all was said and done, and even with some addenda to the Majors to take care of some outstanding business, there is still no internal union with the Creative Beloved. There continues to be lot of progress but she remains a subject of longing - and this in itself can be a very transformative dynamic for continuing growth.

tarotbear

I always thought it odd that Ms. Connolly, who infuses so much Christian symbology into her discussions and recommends you to pray to Jesus before a Tarot reading would chose the figure of The Risen Christ from the ceiling of the Sistene Chapel to incorporate in such an odd way.

Sophie-David

Tarotbear, I would be grateful if you could find this image for me. I have looked and looked on the Internet but to no avail. This Sistine Chapel site seems to contain all of the imagery, and I see several risen Christs there, but they are all half-naked in Michelango's typically exuberant display of the human form.

In any event, the tradition is that Jesus descended to the dead as a necessary part of his human experience and also that he was tempted by the Devil as we all are. It would seem to me to be a powerful image to show the Christ as being tempted in the Devil or Materialism card, if this was the Connollys' intent.

Unlike the RWS Major, I do not have the impression that Peter Connolly's image of the Materialist is of the Devil himself but of a seeker going through a necessary process on the life journey. In my current interpretation of the Lord's prayer I see "deliver us from temptation" not to mean "don't let us be tempted" but "help us learn from our mistakes and distractions".

I would also note that Ms. Connolly appears to be quite a liberal and esoteric Christian who works with the Chakras, Jungian psychology, and Tarot's companion arts of the Cabala, astrology and numerology. She also adheres to animism, the belief that spirit in immanent in all things. The prayer of invocation as she describes it in Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice on page 214, refers to requiring guidance from "Almighty Love" and "the Supreme Force... as we open our minds and souls to the Higher Consciousness". The text of the prayer itself is not directed to Jesus but to the "Heavenly Father". But admittedly she doesn't go quite so far as to invoke Goddess energy in her devotions. :)

tarotbear

Jesus is not the Goddess

In her Apprentice book on page 216 (First Edition - Oct 1979) under Perform the Ritual of Solidification, Ms. Connolly says "When you receive the pack from the client, hold it firmly between the palms of your hands and press gently three times, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This act of faith unites with strength the wisdom to be received from the Divine Trinity of God."

The Son is Jesus, is he not? Strength from the Trinity would include Jesus in it, whether you call Him directly by name or not.

About the time I bought the Connolly deck - got it for $1 at a tag sale - I did search down the image because I had seen it in a book on religious art. Will do some searching because it is not an original image. If it's not a Risen Christ it is a Transfigured Christ from a church somewhere.