Connolly: Eight of Swords

Sophie-David

The Connolly Eight of Swords is yet another unique vision of a "difficult" card. A man looks pensively out of a window at eight swords which stand together in the snow - is it raining swords today? The snow bank has built up against the door, preventing an easy exit. This man is a prisoner under a self-imposed house arrest, for if he willed to overcome the obstacles he could. Like the woman who could wriggle out of her bonds in the RWS version, he could probably pry the door open and dig himself out, even if he had to shovel the snow with his hands. But this man is the prisoner of his own fears, a victim waiting for a rescuer. Maybe a physical rescuer will come, but it will not solve his psychological paralysis. His intellect alone is not enough to rescue him from his inner bondage - but perhaps an answer will come as he works through the lessons of the other cards.

wandking

I like this Connolly Sword card. In the eight she captures the depth of meanings it should demonstrate.

MoonMaiden

Even as I was thinking that I have nothing to add, I remembered that my first thoughts when I read your commentary were - that reminds me of me.

Perhaps I can do the next card in line to see where that takes me. :)

Queen of Disks

I am doing an easy one before I go to bed. This card resonates with me because I live in a climate where it can snow alot. If you don't shovel the snow frequently and let it pile up, then you will literally be stuck like this man is. This man can clean up the mess and dig himself out, but it will be a lot harder now that the snow is piled up then if he had taken the time earlier to do the work and keep his path clear. (Snow can be really heavy.)

Perhaps he is trying to isolate himself but that's not going to work for him either because sooner or later he will run out of food, water, etc and he will still have to dig his way out.

crazy raven

What comes to mind is limited thinking, stifled creativity, and missed opportunities....and/or habits and attitudes that have held us back in the past?

Is this an oppressed home.....perhaps where the person involved was never allowed to speak up for themself or make decisions for themself? Therefore they're afraid of making choices for themself now? Or unable to pinpoint what they desire/want to accomplish?

If we are not happy where we are, then it must be up to us to take the bull by the horns (sword(s)) and do what is necessary to change our circumstances.

In a reading, would we say something like... You can no longer endure the limitations imposed on you by those who do not share or understand your need for independence and fulfillment??