Deviant Moon - Seven of Swords

teomat

Pride before the fall.

As the LWB suggests, over-confidence can be your downfall. The harlequin is taking a dangerous risk for the sake of 'looking cool'.

There's a sense of kids 'playing with matches' here. The harlequin could be naive and doesn't understand the danger - all he wants to do is have a bit of fun.
But the devil makes work for idle hands. Perhaps he's bored with his usual sword-swallowing act and wants to try a more risky approach. If it works, the audience will be impressed. If it fails, so does he (and quite lethally).

There's a strong desire to impress someone. The need to be different and step out from the crowd. But it carries huge risk. Is it really worth it?

He balances the top sword by one foot only. If the rope were to break, both swords would injure him. Double jeopardy. But he takes the risk anyway. Is he that over-confident, or that desperate to impress?

mac22

I would add uncontrolled impulse is always dangerous.

mac22

Herzog

in this version of the seven of swords what speaks loudest is need to re-consider one's plans...you plan or idea does not serve your best interest.

The card seems to exclude all other interpretations such as mischief, thievery, taking advantage, deceit etc.... although the harlequin in the picture does seem a bit sneaky with his mask.

For those who use this deck, what do you see in this card? Are the additional meanings implied somewhere in the image ie. the sneaky looking harlequin?

thanks

Herzog

examining the card a bit more, I just noticed the harlequins fingers are crossed. Hoping for a positive outcome. Does he know the rope that holds the sword above his mouth is frayed? If not...this implies ignorance to the situation. If he does know then it implies foolishness, or a rash decision.

Hedera

HerzogIsGod said:
examining the card a bit more, I just noticed the harlequins fingers are crossed. Hoping for a positive outcome. Does he know the rope that holds the sword above his mouth is frayed? If not...this implies ignorance to the situation. If he does know then it implies foolishness, or a rash decision.

Having your fingers crossed (usually behind your back) can also mean that you don't mean what you say, at least over here.
Like making a promise to do something, but with your fingers crossed, so you have no intention of keeping that promise.

Thirteen

Deviant Moon is a very striking and strange deck. Is there any chance that you can show us the image? The deck's images, while traditional in their way, also have a unique take and it would help to see this particular one.

And I'm in agreement that crossing one's fingers behind ones back, as compared to out in the open, means that you're lying. So are the crossed fingers in front of him ("I hope this happens!") or behind his back, ("What I'm saying isn't true")?

Herzog

the crossed fingers of both hands are in front of him. So this appears to be to a wish to himself that all will turn out well.

But like I mentioned, the rope holding the sword if frayed and about to snap. Whether the performer has knowledge of this or not will effect the subtle meanings og the card

Ravenstongue

The card's meaning, according to Valenza, is "Ill conceived plans". So the 'hoping for the best' crossed fingers would fit with this interpretation.

Gypsyspell

As far as deception goes-this COULD be represented by the performance itself,-He is performing an act.

Demon Goddess

In the Revelations deck, the "crossed fingers" are represented as prayer. The overwhelming look of confidence in the characters' eyes though would leave me to believe that the half-assedness of the situation is not his own doing, but he wants it so badly, that he's ignoring it and hoping for the best.

I would suggest that noticing that frayed rope is telling you to recognize that something is going to wrench up the works for you. The reason it seems as if he is unaware is because someone else used frayed ropes and even if you are NOW aware the rope is frayed, it's too late to do anything about it, and again, you're ignoring it and hoping for the best.