Deviant Moon - Seven of Swords

Herzog

Demon Goddess said:
I would suggest that noticing that frayed rope is telling you to recognize that something is going to wrench up the works for you. The reason it seems as if he is unaware is because someone else used frayed ropes and even if you are NOW aware the rope is frayed, it's too late to do anything about it, and again, you're ignoring it and hoping for the best.

That makes a lot of sense to me

Ravenstongue

Demon Goddess said:
...even if you are NOW aware the rope is frayed, it's too late to do anything about it, and again, you're ignoring it and hoping for the best.

Well, you might be hoping for the best, but you still have time to avoid it - it's not too late to get out of the way since the rope hasn't snapped yet.

afrosaxon

I tend to interpret this card as foolhardiness.

(I've attached the image for those who can't see it).

T.

Attachments

• 7 of Swords.jpg
    7 of Swords.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 822

Umbrae

ahhhhh the card that shows us the moment before, "It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

or as a friend of mine would say..."I'm afraid not..."

callistoluna

I also see this card as a bluff or a gamble. The character is feigning to know what they're doing but they are not as good as what they think. Or maybe they aren't ready and have rushed into the situation less than prepared.

I have a friend who tends to get an idea in his head and thinks "this is great! I can do this!" and then goes and does it but doesn't think about the whole process - ie how to get from A to B but actually it's A to J with steps in between! It's lucky sometimes that he hasn't seriously injured himself (physically or mentally).

staroflondon

i just received this deck and am so in love! so have been reading the posts on each card and when reading this link and looking closely at the card, I wondered about the performer's body language. Most sword swallowers stand up and handle the swords carefully to have complete control and minimise risks. But this character is doing it upside down in a contorted pose - why? And why so haphazardly? Is it totally without thought or knowledge? This can't be the first time swallowing a sword, surely....

I agree about the ill conceived plans and bluffing or gambling but crossing fingers and hoping for the best, really exhibits some naivete - so is it due solely to inexperience? And why are the other swords lying around or planted into the ground? Were they used before and 'missed' going in or will they be used for something else? One can only swallow one sword at a time but there are enough in the card to keep practicing and performing for a while.

So possibly to me, this card seems to be someone who is a rule breaker, wanting to explore new ways of doing things and pushing limits and boundaries with radical and bizarre ideas trying put them into practice (I thought of David Blaine) but maybe doesn't have the resources or forethought in fully comprehending possible limitations (esp. what the body and mind can do). It's not about following the establishment, but breaking out on your own and trying something radical although you might fail (and in this case disastrously so!).

And possibly since this is the 7 of swords (7 a magic number?) - it can be about illusions and mastering the mind to try to manipulate the body. But that sword isn't going to bend and his position doesn't allow for a straight passageway....that is, if it cord doesn't snap and cause injury or death first. So it is all just a deadly trick or about taking a huge great risk but one that could have equally great rewards?

And maybe it's an advice card to really be thoughtful and really think through all possible outcomes. Don't rush in thinking it will be fine and the details will sort themselves out along the way. Rather, methodically prepare for every outcome, double check for weaknesses, and have back-up ideas just in case one may have to change direction or position along the way or mid-performance.

Myrrha

I feel really annoyed at the man in this card. I looked up sword swallowing and apparently it is one of the most dangerous performing arts in the world. There are only a few dozen sword swallowers worldwide, and they study for three to five years before being able to swallow swords.

And this guy is just going to go and do it his own way? There is something really aesthetically and morally repulsive about doing something dangerous or extreme and not taking the time (or having the humility) to do it correctly in a way that minimizes the risk.

So to me the card shows that someone's "plans", if they can be called that, are not going to work out in any way shape or form. Even if the rope doesn't fray he is not correctly positioned. There is just no way.

So, unworkable plans but also could indicate that someone connected with the situation is an idiot and a blunderer. Such people are seldom the only ones to suffer the consequences of their stupidity so fair warning. Check all the knots.

Another possible keyword is "Deathwish".

kaushalyaandfrank

This card reminds me of a fool in my ballroom dancing class. Although his technique and style are all wrong, in his mind he is the world champion and without flaw. As a result of his narcissism he spends his class time showing off with ridiculous poses, blundering 'expert' advice on others where it is not asked for, and acting as an 'accomplished judge' who laments the poor ability of other performers.