The Wild Unknown Tarot

MandMaud

In January of 2015, the website ran a sale - and be damned if I didn't order two more decks (for either back-up, or gifts for friends). This is when Eu'd'rat began to waft into the picture. The cardstock was gone. The new decks were "cards"... cardboardy, just like many other decks I'd had pass through my hands - nor were they the bulky "brick" I'd come to love. I wrote to the company and was curtly told that I was wrong and there were "no changes". Sooo... not only did I take pictures of the varying heights of the decks, but I actually SENT them one of my 1st runs for comparison purposes (with strict instructions to return the very same deck I sent).

Hi Michael, I remember this. It was shortly after I'd fallen in love with the deck and joined this thread. I waited weeks, if not months, for you to post that you'd received their explanation. :(

I hope it is the artist making money from the WU's success, and not just the marketing people. :( :(

However I have more than once found someone's online presence completely misleading as to their "product". Some authors that I've been moved and even changed by (spiritual, self-help, etc; not fiction) have websites that feel nothing but commercial - worse, used-car salesman-ish. I'm thankful I came across their work before their PR, or I never would have glanced at their work.

If you can't tell, I fished out my cherished 1st WU deck last night.

Yes, I guessed! :D

I started avoiding the subject of the Wild Unknown online, once it veered in the direction we're talking about. So my love for the deck isn't too tainted. Mostly I feel sorry for it - that's the wrong word - defensive, more. It's the child of these people that have lost their values and gone to the dark side. (A bit strong! :smile:) It and I are on the same side. If I wanted to feel involved, I'd get furious in a mother-elephant-defending-her-calf way... and that's an energy of anger that I don't welcome, and the opposition is far bigger than me anyway (being the phenomenon of "modern marketing at its best" which is an elemental force in itself, pretty much). So I turn my back on all that and deal (excuse the pun) with the deck on its own. and on its own terms. It speaks truth to me and it doesn't pussyfoot around the harsh truths, and that's what I value.

I do wish I'd seen the original cardstock, though. I have the Made in China 1st version. I wouldn't buy a deck of the very first version as I'd have trouble shuffling such thick cards; but I hope one day I'll get to handle one.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Solandia likes us to keep threads no larger than 1000 posts, so is being closed. The most recent posts have been split into a new thread titled The Wild Unknown Tarot.