Soprafino Tarot

Bernice

Flaxen said:
If you are looking at a cheaper alternative, the LS Ancient Italian is also worth a look. It doesn't have those keywords which appear on the Classical which personally I prefer.

The Meneghello one is in a league of its own though like Rasa says. :)
I have the Ancient Italian, and yes the images are the same but without the Classic keywords as Flaxen says. Stands up to usage well :) and is affordable.

Bee :)

May

I recently received this deck from alida. One of the most expensive deck i've owned (n i had to pay a bomb for shipping too)...

I didn't know they were numbered! :S

Le Fanu

The deck reproduced by LoS and the Meneghello deck are the same historical deck, just different editions.

I call it the Classical Tarot, which is the name on the 79th title card. To distinguish it from the U.S Games Tarot Classic.

The LoS Classical Tarot, with all the borders removed, is a beautiful, everyday deck which can be slung in a bag and not worried about. Mind you, the Meneghello decks - contrary to popular belief - are very, very resistant and will last a lifetime.

If you cannot face the hassle of trimming, get the Ancient Italian, a kind of blotched, rough, not-quite-"fino" edition of the deck, but one which I love very much nevertheless.

I posted some pics of my trimmed Classical Tarot here. Be gone ye nonsensical keywords!

Bernice

I posted some pics of my trimmed Classical Tarot here. Be gone ye nonsensical keywords!

Lovely without the keywords, and it's true the Ancient Italian have a rather 'dotty' appearance (but I love it). Just haven't the courage to trim a deck, nor can I find small corner-rounder.......in the uk.

Of course the Meneghello is much to be desired.

Patrick Booker

Neither can I, Bernice. I know I would mess it up. And having small hands, I struggle to shuffle large decks.

About keywords - surely the whole point about non-illustrated pips is that you get to choose the meanings, so you can use the traditional ones or not.

Patrick

Bernice

You & me both :).

I wonder if the Meneghello is a large deck.... I mean larger than the A.Italian.

Flaxen

Bernice said:
You & me both :).

I wonder if the Meneghello is a large deck.... I mean larger than the A.Italian.

I can help here - the Meneghello Soprafino is smaller. It sits almost perfectly within the border of the Ancient Italian and is perfect for small hands. :)

They are 5.5 cm wide and 10.7cm long.

Patrick Booker

According to details on Alida and on Aeclectic Tarot, the sizes are as follows:

Soprafino: 10.5 x 5.3 cm
Classical: 12 x 6.6 cm
Ancient Italian: 12 x 6 cm

There is also a mini version of the Soprafino available from Alida, which is not limited, and measures 5.7 x 3.1 cm.

Patrick