Lost & Confused Newbie

Aeon418

I looooooooove Dion Fortune's book! I read it after Chicken Qabalah, though, so I don't know how much I would have learned from it without DuQuette's introduction. I have read reviews of it recommending it for beginners though. She writes very nicely and clearly, minus the racist parts. :)

Over the years I've found that for every person who raves about Fortune's book there seems to be someone else who is bored to death by it. I guess it must be a stylistic thing. Some people just don't click with it. Personally I think it's a classic, but you can't please everyone.

Years ago I lent my copy of, Chicken Qabalah, to a friend. He read it. Enjoyed it. And quite naturally was ready for further reading. So next up I gave him my copy of Fortunes, Mystical Qabalah. Oh dear! :rolleyes: He complained he could barely stay awake after a couple of pages. With hindsight it was probably a mistake to try him on Regardie's, Garden of Pomegranates. (Regardie can put me to sleep sometimes. :laugh:) And we fared no better with William Gray or Garreth Knight.

Several months later I picked up a book called, Qabalah - A Magical Primer by John Bonner. It's written in a similar format to Dion Fortune's book but in a more engaging and modern style. I was quite impressed with it. An added bonus is that the author is a Thelemite too. :D
I lent it to my friend, and bingo, he loved it. :thumbsup: Since then it's been one of my main recommedations to people looking for a 'second book' after DuQuette.

Zephyros

Regardie's Garden is fascinating, but I completely agree that it's among the best cures for insomnia I ever read. If I had to choose, however, I found Robert Wang more approachable than Fortune.

ravenest

The progression for me has been Duquette, Wang, Gray. I wonder if it would have seemed as perfect in some other order. Something other/larger than my personality seems to be ordering all this investigation. Perhaps it wants me as much, if not more, than I want it.

:laugh: especially if you are the 'first-born son'.

ravenest

I still have fond memories of reading some of Z'ev ben Shimon Halevi's books. They seemed to fill in many gaps for me back then.

Lil Red

Hi guys,

I finally ordered Chicken Kabalah and the Qu'ran to get an understandment with the Kabalah (the Qu'ran is so I can understand what is the Kabalah use for as well the religion behind it; sorry if I don't make any sense it is just that I do not know how to put it into words.) I'm going to do what Closrapexa did and take a few month off of tarot to learn the Kabalah. I love DuQuette Introduction but every time I read anything that have to do with the Tree of Life, the hebrew letter, or path I get lost so I am doing myself a huge favor. That is why I am putting my beloved tarot away and making sure to put a halt to buying anymore tarot (also because I am going to moving in a few month); that way my mind don't stray to other stuff.

Also, I got a question.
How do you guys read the Thoth tarot?
I tried to read it twice now but I try not to go by with intuition. I put what DuQuette talked about like the "fairytale" of the Kabalah as well the symbols he mention about like the alchemical signs/symbols. When I did I decided that no I am not going to do any readings with it until I figure out about what Thoth tarot is all about, that way I get to appreciate it more.

Sorry for my rambling I just had to get that out of my system.

Richard

Hi guys,

I finally ordered Chicken Kabalah and the Qu'ran to get an understandment with the Kabalah (the Qu'ran is so I can understand what is the Kabalah use for as well the religion behind it...)....
It never hurts to read the Qu'ran, but that's an Islamic holy book. The religious background of Kabbalah is Judaism, for which you might want to read at least the Torah, although the entire Tanach (Hebrew Bible) as well as some of the Rabbinic literature are also important. Some have gone so far as to say that one must be Jewish in order to fully understand Kabbalah.

Zephyros

Hi guys,

I finally ordered Chicken Kabalah and the Qu'ran to get an understandment with the Kabalah (the Qu'ran is so I can understand what is the Kabalah use for as well the religion behind it; sorry if I don't make any sense it is just that I do not know how to put it into words.).

LRichard is correct, the religious background of Qabalah is Judaism, although that doesn't mean one has to be Jewish to understand it, especially for the Thoth. It uses the Hermetic variety, which is more approachable for many reasons. However, one can never learn too little, and the Qu'ran is an enlightening and inspirational book. A caveat is that even the Torah will not tell you what Qabalah is used for. It is based on the Torah, not the other way 'round, plus Qabalah is not Jewish dogma, far from it. Sounds confusing, I can imagine, but you'll see what I mean after Chicken Qabalah[i/i]

I'm going to do what Closrapexa did and take a few month off of tarot to learn the Kabalah. I love DuQuette Introduction but every time I read anything that have to do with the Tree of Life, the hebrew letter, or path I get lost so I am doing myself a huge favor. That is why I am putting my beloved tarot away and making sure to put a halt to buying anymore tarot (also because I am going to moving in a few month); that way my mind don't stray to other stuff.

It shouldn't take that long, all you need is a few basic definitions under your belt, and then study of the Thoth becomes study of Qabalah. Each new card you learn connects itself in the puzzle of the paths, and you begin to see patterns the more you learn. In any case you will be using the same tools over and over, so after a few cards you'll be surprised at how straightforward it all is. The basic things you need to know are the definitions of the Sephiroth, the general progressions of the Tree of Life, the Hebrew letters and the four worlds. After that, you have the tools to do anything with the Thoth, and you will understand the Book of Thoth far better.

Also, I got a question.
How do you guys read the Thoth tarot?
I tried to read it twice now but I try not to go by with intuition. I put what DuQuette talked about like the "fairytale" of the Kabalah as well the symbols he mention about like the alchemical signs/symbols. When I did I decided that no I am not going to do any readings with it until I figure out about what Thoth tarot is all about, that way I get to appreciate it more.

For several years I read with the Thoth without knowing anything about it; I just liked it. I am actually glad it turned out that way, as it gave me a chance to get to know it without studying it, and even pick up a few basic concepts about it. Remember that one of the things that differentiates the Thoth from other decks is in how gorgeous it is. You don't have to, in fact you mustn't, ignore that.Even if you don't read with it, keep it by you, look through it, think about it, think about the images.

Of course, Qabalah is only the beginning, but after a while even the Book of Law will be somewhat less impenetrable.

Aeon418

The religious background of Kabbalah is Judaism, for which you might want to read at least the Torah, although the entire Tanach (Hebrew Bible) as well as some of the Rabbinic literature are also important.

That stuff might be useful to someone who intended to study the traditional Hebraic Kabbalah. But the Hermetic Qabalah, of which the Thoth Tarot is a pictorial expression, is almost entirely based on the practical applications of the Tree of Life diagram and the correspondences of the Hebrew alphabet. In a way it's a tiny subset of Kabbalah that has gone off in a different direction. It's not overly concerned with abstruse theoretical models about the divine. (Or counting the nostril hairs of God according to Lon. :laugh:) To all intents and purposes it's a practical methodology. So why advocate drowning in theory if it's not necessary?

I would recommend the Torah though. But maybe not the same Sepher ha-Torah (Book of the Law) you were thinking of. ;)