Hierophant and seven of cups as sexual attraction

WhyWuh

How would you see each card (not together) as sexual attraction? In my own fresh opinion Hierophant is mature attractiveness and Seven cups are when person could see perfect for them person on an appearance form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizabella

What this brings to mind when I consider these two cards is that the Heirophant would not openly think in sexual terms---if they had fantasies of a sexual nature, they'd present to the world that they didn't.

The 7 of Cups would probably be someone who freely indulges in fantasies about sex. They wouldn't try very hard to conceal it.

Thirteen

There's a very good chance that the Hierophant means that the sexual attraction isn't there at all. The hierophant, remember, is all about tradition and following the rules--especially religious type rules. This means that the Hierophant might be feeling buttoned up, like you can't imagine sex until marriage, so no thinking about it, or feeling it at all. So, I'd say the Hierophant signals a big damper on sexual attraction. It's not right or appropriate to feel it.

And I'm in total agreement with Griz about 7/Cups meaning sexual fantasies. Like when you day dream about sex with a movie star. It's all imagination attraction, not actual, do-something-physical attraction.

Grizabella

There's a very good chance that the Hierophant means that the sexual attraction isn't there at all. The hierophant, remember, is all about tradition and following the rules--especially religious type rules. This means that the Hierophant might be feeling buttoned up, like you can't imagine sex until marriage, so no thinking about it, or feeling it at all. So, I'd say the Hierophant signals a big damper on sexual attraction. It's not right or appropriate to feel it.

And I'm in total agreement with Griz about 7/Cups meaning sexual fantasies. Like when you day dream about sex with a movie star. It's all imagination attraction, not actual, do-something-physical attraction.

Yes, that's true about the Heirophant, too. They'd certainly keep any sexual attraction they felt for another person locked up inside themselves, and may not even be aware of them consciously.

I also wanted to just comment that the Heirophant would probably choose missionary position sex, while the 7 of Cups person would be into a wide variety of sexual practices.

rwcarter

I was thinking that the 7C could represent the "flavor of the day" as sexual attraction. The person being asked about has many options available to them and on any given day, they choose whichever option catches their eye that day.

I agree with Thirteen about the Hierophant as no sex without marriage, so any sexual attraction would be tightly controlled and not expressed.

Rodney

Barleywine

But it's much more fun to consider them together: Hierophant with 7 of Cups = sexual fantasizing over a priest or nun })

I think the Hierophant is about sublimation of sexual urges. The correspondence of the card to the rather carnal sign of Taurus would seem to make that a necessity. (However, the frequency of priestly sexual impropriety casts some doubt on the observation.)

The 7 of Cups in sexual terms might also have some gender ambiguity about its fantasizing.

WhyWuh

Thank you so much for all responses. Now I see why hierophant would be considered as a man that has no desire or at least not expressing it outwardly. Seven of cups are clearer too. It's nice to see that it means intense attraction even tho I wouldn't agree that it means choosing from various options. Question isn't about how many options they have so why cards should give me such info?

Thirteen

I think the Hierophant is about sublimation of sexual urges. The correspondence of the card to the rather carnal sign of Taurus would seem to make that a necessity. (However, the frequency of priestly sexual impropriety casts some doubt on the observation.)
But priestly impropriety is still sublimation given that it's done in secret (yes?). Both behind the collar ("You can trust me, I'm a priest and not sexually interested") and engaging in sex secretly rather than openly. In away, this actually goes along with the "no sex outside of marriage" restriction, too, in that such rules usually want the participants to express sexual attraction for a partner only in bedroom, not out in the open.

Regarding your excellent point of the Hierophant being Taurus...while Earth signs are, um, lusty and into physical pleasure, they're also into restrictions. "Stubborn as a rock," right? Thus, the Hierophant isn't so much a celibate priest as he is a very traditionalist minister. His aim isn't to erase earthly desires, but to make them more divine, to put them in accordance with a spiritual purpose. So, he's not against sex. He simply wants that sex to be religiously, traditionally and culturally proper. And thus to have meaning beyond just earthly gratification. Which is why the card in this position could indicate a measure of unease or guilt surrounding the sexual attraction. Especially if it's not socially appropriate, like attraction to a man/woman outside of marriage, or could be considered lowly and "dirty" rather than beautiful and meaningful.

Barleywine

But priestly impropriety is still sublimation given that it's done in secret (yes?). Both behind the collar ("You can trust me, I'm a priest and not sexually interested") and engaging in sex secretly rather than openly. In away, this actually goes along with the "no sex outside of marriage" restriction, too, in that such rules usually want the participants to express sexual attraction for a partner only in bedroom, not out in the open.

Regarding your excellent point of the Hierophant being Taurus...while Earth signs are, um, lusty and into physical pleasure, they're also into restrictions. "Stubborn as a rock," right? Thus, the Hierophant isn't so much a celibate priest as he is a very traditionalist minister. His aim isn't to erase earthly desires, but to make them more divine, to put them in accordance with a spiritual purpose. So, he's not against sex. He simply wants that sex to be religiously, traditionally and culturally proper. And thus to have meaning beyond just earthly gratification. Which is why the card in this position could indicate a measure of unease or guilt surrounding the sexual attraction. Especially if it's not socially appropriate, like attraction to a man/woman outside of marriage, or could be considered lowly and "dirty" rather than beautiful and meaningful.

Excellent points all. But are we on the same page regarding the meaning of the word "sublimation?" To me it doesn't mean hidden or concealed:

a) The diversion of the energy of a sexual or other biological impulse from its immediate goal to one of a more acceptable social, moral, or aesthetic nature

b) a purification or refinement; ennoblement.

WhyWuh

Thank you Thirteen so much. I completely see why this person could see his sexual attraction to me as something dirty and not good. Maybe even bad. I see it. It's hierophant here but it fits perfectly. Thanks again!