"Gems From The Equinox" reissued

fyreflye

I see that Weiser will be reissuing Israel Regardie's edited collection, culled from the early issues of Crowley's ground breaking publication. Available Nov. 1 for $32.97 USD and free shipping within the USA from Amazon.
New Falcon published the original edition, still findable used, but NF's binding and paper were never the greatest. Those who want to know more about the philosophical structure behind the BoT could hardly find a better place to start.

Alta

Excellent, thank you. I have pre-ordered this.

Marion

Scion

Many thanks for the heads up on this, Fyreflye!

Aeon418

When I first heard about the new Weiser reprint of Gems from the Equinox it was advertised as "revised". Since then the word seems to have been dropped. According to Weiser's catalogue it still has the same page count as the old New Falcon edition. I won't be holding my breath for anything new then.

Oh well, it's still a great book and probably closer to what the original 10 volume Equinox should have been. I think even Crowley recognised that his inclusion of plays and stories was a bit of a distraction.

Thankfully Gems is one book were Israel Regardie managed to keep his meddling editing skills to a minimum. Anyone who has read his butchered and bowdlerized version of Crowley's Magick Without Tears will know what I mean. :rolleyes:
Here he seems to have just contented himself with simply mashing together two different versions of The Star Ruby. Why?! It's a mystery.
But seeing as The Star Ruby was never actually in the Equinox I suppose it doesn't count.

One thing that I feel Regardie should have included is the serialisation of The Temple of Solomon the King. It's analysis of some Crowley's early magical diaries is fantastic. I know that Regardie objected to Crowley's presentation of Golden Dawn material in TSK, and that the first four parts are a bit wordy thanks to J.F.C.Fuller, but it still should have been included.

But better something than nothing I suppose.

Aeon418

fyreflye, the link for TSK is only part 1.

But....

You can find all 11 volumes of the Equinox here in good quality pdf format.
http://athenaeum.asiya.org/thelema.html

There's an episode of TSK in each one. Except for the one published when Crowley and Fuller had a bit of ding-dong over the Jones vs Looking Glass case. :laugh:

Aeon418

fyreflye said:
Thanks! That's the best link yet to the Libri. So why bother to buy the Gems?
Oh, I don't know about that. A PDF or an ebook is ok I suppose, but I would much rather have a real ink-on-paper book in my hands. It's much easier on the eyes too. :grin:

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Thankfully Gems is one book were Israel Regardie managed to keep his meddling editing skills to a minimum. Anyone who has read his butchered and bowdlerized version of Crowley's Magick Without Tears will know what I mean. :rolleyes:

I've read it but have nothing to compare it with. (cant sit in the library all day and read the other version on line).

What whould you say are the main differences between the two; ed by I.R. and the version on line?

Aeon418

ravenest said:
What whould you say are the main differences between the two; ed by I.R. and the version on line?
Simple. The Karl Germer - 1954 edition (the online version) is longer than the edited and abridged Regardie version.

I certainly don't regard MWT as holy writ and not to be touched, but I dislike the fact that Regardie took it upon himself to tamper with another authors work after their death and then publish it under the same title.

We probably won't see an unabridged version in print for quite some time. Rumour has it that the current copyright owners are now Christian. :laugh: