My Dear Aleister - Creating the Crowley Harris Tarot

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
Also, no one knows how to pronounce "Thoth".
A lot of people can't pronounce Crowley either. :laugh:

Lilija

Ok, I know Crowley but how to pronounce Thoth? I don't think I've ever heard it spoken aloud by anyone besides myself.

Ross G Caldwell

The standard pronunciation among Egyptologists and classicists is "tote" (as in "tote bag"). If you want to be pedantic, you aspirate the first T ever so slightly.

The spelling "Thoth" in English is unfortunate, and most people pronounce it "thawth".

But it is what it is.

Lilija

Ross G Caldwell said:
The standard pronunciation among Egyptologists and classicists is "tote" (as in "tote bag"). If you want to be pedantic, you aspirate the first T ever so slightly.

The spelling "Thoth" in English is unfortunate, and most people pronounce it "thawth".

But it is what it is.

Learn something new every day. Thank you very much for that info.

Always Wondering

Ross G Caldwell said:

But it is what it is.

I didn't know.
How about Ra is is prnouced Rah, Ray or Re? Wikipedia says more correctly Re', but more correctly by who?
It's really hard on a forum. My pronunciation sucks anyway, but to never hear the words. . . I've been wondering what I sould do about that.

AW

Aeon418

Ross G Caldwell said:
Unfortunate or not, I'm sticking to it. Tuff. :laugh:

thorhammer

Thanks, Ross :) Nice to see you in here. I say it "correctly" according to your information, but it sounds ridiculous.

Unfortunate, but it is what it is :joke:

\m/ Kat

ravenest

Should we not be looking at a Coptic pronunciation? An Ancient Egyptian would not have pronounced it anything like that, it would have been closer to Djehuti. (filling in the vowels)

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
It's only crooked if you want to tell a different story. ;)
Like when 'certain' AT members, 'channell' Aliester/Frieda conversations? :)

Lillie

Christ.

It's pronounced voff.

How many time do I have to explain this?
Voff, wiv a vee.